All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Who and who does not follow a low fructose diet?
      #341608 - 02/04/09 10:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How do you know you have to? Is it helping? Are you just afraid not to? If you don't, how did you get past all the fructose mania???

Thanks so much. I'm so afraid and confused. I just want to feel better but don't know what is real and what is fear induced.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I do not. I'm not fructose intolerant, so I don't need to. -nt- new
      #341610 - 02/04/09 10:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I do not. I'm not fructose intolerant, so I don't need to. -nt- new
      #341611 - 02/04/09 10:54 AM
Jordy

Thank you so much! How did you figure this out, Heather? Where you tested? How did you escape the mania that is written?

--------------------

I follow a low fructose diet because I am fructose malabsorber -nt- new
      #341612 - 02/04/09 10:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I wasn't tested. It was always pretty obvious that there was no need... new
      #341616 - 02/04/09 11:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't have problems with fructose unless it's in really high amounts (like bottled apple juice). But fructose in high quantities can cause problems for everyone, not just folks for IBS, so that is typical.

If you're wondering, definitely get tested and you'll know for sure.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I do new
      #341631 - 02/04/09 12:58 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

I was advised to follow a low fructose diet around a month ago. Ever since, my symptoms have greatly improved!

Re: I do new
      #341634 - 02/04/09 01:05 PM
Jordy

Who advised you...a doctor? Did the doctor test you?

I'm glad it is helping your symptoms! (which ones, btw)?

--------------------

Re: fructose diet new
      #341646 - 02/04/09 03:55 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

To be more specific
My gastroenterologist suggested a fructose free diet.
It took around a week before I saw improvements. I can't say for sure it was the fructose free diet, but for the last month, I haven't had any diarrhea or constipation, ive still had gas/bloating

on triggers new
      #341651 - 02/04/09 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

But you can only be sure the fructose was the problem if you have made no other changes at the same time. I did an elimination some time ago of a bunch of things at once, planning to bring one in at a time but got sick from something unrelated. It makes it really hard to find your problems/solutions if you test more than one at once or if you don't spend long enough testing something.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Who and who does not follow a low fructose diet? new
      #341656 - 02/04/09 06:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Honestly, every few weeks I think how ironic it would be for me to someday go FF and be better! I hope crow isn't unsafe in that eventuality!
But when I look at what foods my instinct tells me are safe for me I can see I am not FI. I haven't done a breath test of it, only diet tests. On another forum sometime ago people recommended a different way to test food allergies. Drink 3 glasses of something on an empty stomach and see what happens- like 3 glasses of milk or three glasses of tomato juice (the acid could cause its own problems though so apple juice would make more sense). If you drank 3 glasses of apple juice and got horrible D or pain it would be so obvious then. But those kind of tests are quicker but hazardous being you could screw yourself up for weeks!

Anyway, either get a FI test or try eating a bunch and see how you feel. If it is stressing you, you have to do something! But lots of people have stabilized with Heather's diet without avoiding fructose. I stabilized the first two summers really well and I must have been eating grapes and melons and sweet corn etc at that time!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37219

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review