All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Who and who does not follow a low fructose diet?
      #341608 - 02/04/09 10:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

How do you know you have to? Is it helping? Are you just afraid not to? If you don't, how did you get past all the fructose mania???

Thanks so much. I'm so afraid and confused. I just want to feel better but don't know what is real and what is fear induced.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I do not. I'm not fructose intolerant, so I don't need to. -nt- new
      #341610 - 02/04/09 10:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I do not. I'm not fructose intolerant, so I don't need to. -nt- new
      #341611 - 02/04/09 10:54 AM
Jordy

Thank you so much! How did you figure this out, Heather? Where you tested? How did you escape the mania that is written?

--------------------

I follow a low fructose diet because I am fructose malabsorber -nt- new
      #341612 - 02/04/09 10:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I wasn't tested. It was always pretty obvious that there was no need... new
      #341616 - 02/04/09 11:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't have problems with fructose unless it's in really high amounts (like bottled apple juice). But fructose in high quantities can cause problems for everyone, not just folks for IBS, so that is typical.

If you're wondering, definitely get tested and you'll know for sure.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I do new
      #341631 - 02/04/09 12:58 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

I was advised to follow a low fructose diet around a month ago. Ever since, my symptoms have greatly improved!

Re: I do new
      #341634 - 02/04/09 01:05 PM
Jordy

Who advised you...a doctor? Did the doctor test you?

I'm glad it is helping your symptoms! (which ones, btw)?

--------------------

Re: fructose diet new
      #341646 - 02/04/09 03:55 PM
mcem222

To be more specific
My gastroenterologist suggested a fructose free diet.
It took around a week before I saw improvements. I can't say for sure it was the fructose free diet, but for the last month, I haven't had any diarrhea or constipation, ive still had gas/bloating

on triggers new
      #341651 - 02/04/09 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

But you can only be sure the fructose was the problem if you have made no other changes at the same time. I did an elimination some time ago of a bunch of things at once, planning to bring one in at a time but got sick from something unrelated. It makes it really hard to find your problems/solutions if you test more than one at once or if you don't spend long enough testing something.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Who and who does not follow a low fructose diet? new
      #341656 - 02/04/09 06:18 PM
Little Minnie

Honestly, every few weeks I think how ironic it would be for me to someday go FF and be better! I hope crow isn't unsafe in that eventuality!
But when I look at what foods my instinct tells me are safe for me I can see I am not FI. I haven't done a breath test of it, only diet tests. On another forum sometime ago people recommended a different way to test food allergies. Drink 3 glasses of something on an empty stomach and see what happens- like 3 glasses of milk or three glasses of tomato juice (the acid could cause its own problems though so apple juice would make more sense). If you drank 3 glasses of apple juice and got horrible D or pain it would be so obvious then. But those kind of tests are quicker but hazardous being you could screw yourself up for weeks!

Anyway, either get a FI test or try eating a bunch and see how you feel. If it is stressing you, you have to do something! But lots of people have stabilized with Heather's diet without avoiding fructose. I stabilized the first two summers really well and I must have been eating grapes and melons and sweet corn etc at that time!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I do, and my FI test came out negative new
      #341666 - 02/04/09 11:01 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

I took the fructose intolerance breath test two years ago, and it came out negative (aka I'm not fructose intolerant). However, I noticed on my own that fructose and sugar in general do contribute to my symptoms greatly. I get bloated and more constipated.

I only realized this recently, and I'm actually grateful that this topic has come up on these boards, because it helped me gather my thoughts together. A few years ago I wanted to tone up for Summer so I tried the South Beach Diet. The first phase requires cutting out most carbs, except for small amounts of non-sugar sweetened dairy. I didn't lose as much as I wanted so I quit after a week. However, I felt great during that week. No bloating, no pain, C was still there but it wasn't uncomfortable.
About two years after that, still searching for my "cure", I tried the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, seeing that many people got good results from there. The foods allowed are like those of SBD plus fructose - fruit and honey. I'm a sugar addict so I had at least 2-3 servings of fruit per day, plus honey to sweeten my SCD-legal yogurt. Guess what? I felt horribly, and I had to quit after about 4 days because I felt like my intestines were about to burst open. Gosh, I was in so much pain! The only difference between SBD and SCD was the added fructose! So that gave me my answer.

LM - the tests you're talking about (drink three glasses or apple juice and see what happens). I think three glasses of AJ might cause problems in anyone, not just IBSers. My non-IBS husband gets gassy and bloated after eating certain kinds of apples, although he eats just one at a time. I agree that it's not worth going forward with such tests, especially because an IBS person is more likely to get bloating, gas, and C/D.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Re: I do, and my FI test came out negative new
      #341690 - 02/05/09 10:43 AM
Jordy

Hmmm, this is confusing. I would think if you tested negative, you wouldn't have to worry, like Syl suggested for me.

You are fortunate to know your body so well. That must be hard to only eat one piece of citrus fruit per day. I eat 3 fruits per day.....berries, kiwi or apple, and canned peaches!

I don't know whether I should pursue getting tested or not. This IBS, Gluten, fructose dilemma is driving me insane!

Thanks for your post. I am really interested in getting some sample daily menu plans from you!

--------------------

More responses would be much appreciated!-nt new
      #341694 - 02/05/09 10:58 AM
Jordy

--------------------

#341704 - 02/05/09 01:05 PM
Syl

You are lucky to have found the fructose problem early.

I have had IBS but not seriously since I was about your age. It got serious about 20 years later. I didn't find out about fructose until 45 years later. Looking back I can see how fruits, sweets and syrups have affected me. I have a suspicion that if I had reduce my fructose consumption at a younger age my IBS would be more controllable now.

The mystery is why recently diagnosed IBSers are not advised to remove excess fructose foods from their diet for a month or so. The effect of the change is rather quick. If there is an effect the diet can be modified accordingly. If there isn't an effect then continue to enjoy these foods! I sure wish I could. I still image the sweet taste of fructose especially when I am baking

Say - you might drop a short note or email to the dietitian with a copy or link to some good information on agave. I suspect she might be grateful for the knowledge.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

The thing is Syl new
      #341706 - 02/05/09 01:33 PM
mcem222

I don't feel reassured by that. I feel frightened by the fact that you've had IBS for 40+ years, whether it be mild or problematic. I have a firm grasp on controlling my IBS now, but I dont want to be 'stable' or 'under control' like you guys, I want it gone. If diet can do that, great, but if not, I'll have to change my lifestyle also.
My doctor (pediatrician) could not stop emphasizing how much stress management is a factor. I feel like a lot of the people on this board aren't taking that into consideration as much as diet.

Look at another way ... new
      #341711 - 02/05/09 02:03 PM
Syl

let my journey show you that if you don't manage it well now you could be in my position in 50 year. Fortunately, you are young and can learn effective techniques to manage stress and IBS with ease. I am not sure about getting rid of it. Time will tell.

The most effective type of IBS stress treatment that I have read about for someone your age is gut-directed hypnotherapy and physical exercise. I believe you mentioned in another posting that you are scheduled to see a hypnotherapist. Hopefully you can retrain some brain-bowel connections and rid yourself of some of the stress and IBS symptoms

One reason that diet is talked about so much on this board is because it is the diet board. However, EFI is a life style covered by all the boards. I think some of the other boards cover the stress aspects of IBS very well.

--------------------

Re: Look at another way ... new
      #341713 - 02/05/09 02:38 PM
mcem222

I am currently doing some gut directed hypnotherapy. I'm doing at least some self-hypnosis every day, and sometimes listen to a tape that was made for me. I'm not sure how much benefit I can attribute, because a little before I started hypnosis, I went on a fructose free diet. Maybe both are helping, maybe one.

I'm aware that there are other boards, but it seems like from people's post, they believe that diet is a 'cause' of IBS. This is how I look at it:
my stressful lifestyle causes my GI tract to malfunction- its like when you're nervous, you get butterflies in your stomach because the body is preparing for incoming danger, but this is never ending. Food exacerbates the problem, and changes in diet can cause significant improvements, but diet is not the root problem and therefore cannot be a complete solution. For example, I've eaten a high fructose diet all of my life. I've also had dairy. Since my IBS, I have developed lactose intolerance (tested) and I suspect fructose absorption
Thats just my view of things. I guess the truth cannot be absolutely proven, since IBS is a functional disorder, and improvements aren't a result of physiological changes.

south beach new
      #341715 - 02/05/09 04:28 PM
Little Minnie

I specifically asked my doctor about why I knew people who felt better on South Beach and he explained that it is temporary and the body reacted ok but it wouldn't last. Although I think eating lighter and with less sugar does help IBS because our guts prefer less calories in a day, it seems to me. As to whether the low carb thing would have kept you feeling good, well I don't think so.

--------------------

you are brilliant! (commenting on your last 2 posts) new
      #341716 - 02/05/09 04:46 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

I feel like a lot of the people on this board aren't taking that into consideration as much as diet.

Bravo! You have a great grasp of IBS! And this *is* the place to talk about all aspects of IBS, diet and day to day activities that will improve it (we leave general talk and recipes off this board though). BUT, as you say, most people just focus on diet and not the other factors. There are tons of things, not foods, that can improve IBS symptoms. For instance, standing when eating helps me a ton! but who wants to do that? Diet is necessary but cannot get you all the way because the whole point of IBS is that the guts behaves inappropriately without reason.
Since you understand it so well you should go on to be a doctor and specialize in it! Can you imagine?

Also I hear ya about not wanting to live with it but wanting it gone. Of course we all agree and there is little that can be done. Heck I wish I were taller too but can't change that! It can be depressing but at least it isn't fatal. It helps me to read about others with debilatating diseases and how they cope with them. I read about a woman in an iron lung for like 36 years and how she coped and a newly married young guy with ALS. The stories bring tears to my eyes but they help me see things differently. I stated the other day that since I am a strong and tenacious person it is better for me to have IBS than others I know who couldn't handle it. It has made me stronger too- like working days when I feel so ill; it makes me feel I can handle things.
Also, everyone has 'stuff'. That is why I have mentioned to you that it helps to not be embarrassed or ashamed of IBS. Everyone has D and C from time to time and lots of people have problems that they hate and find embarrassing. At least I have never had the stomach flu or vomitted in public or have acne or facial hair or a humpback. You gotta keep it all in prospective.

--------------------

thanks! new
      #341721 - 02/05/09 05:04 PM
mcem222

Thanks for the compliment Minnie. I'm proud that I am getting a grasp, which has been for me a big step in coping

I never thought of it from the perspective of 'everyone has something.' My mom talked to the nurse, telling her I have IBS, and she said that there are other kids in the school with IBS, crohns, etc.
Although, I'm satisfied with coming to terms with my IBS between myself and my family. Highschool kids are incredibly immature, and I cannot imagine what would happen if people knew that I had IBS (just because of the sheer amount of gossip talk that is a result of boredom)

Edited by mcem222 (02/05/09 05:05 PM)

I do, but haven't been tested...just playing it safe - nt new
      #341723 - 02/05/09 08:51 PM
Meower55

Reged: 06/24/08
Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

--------------------
Nancy

Do you feel better?-nt new
      #341740 - 02/06/09 07:10 AM
Jordy

--------------------

Re: south beach new
      #341741 - 02/06/09 07:11 AM
Jordy

the carb debate is a whole other debate! Some say low carb helps...but diets like this really promote the good of carbs.

--------------------

Re: More responses would be much appreciated!-nt new
      #341744 - 02/06/09 10:08 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I don't follow it personally. I like apples way too much and have never thought they bothered me. But I'm not claiming to be an expert, there is still a lot I don't understand about my stomach.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#341757 - 02/06/09 02:18 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

So how did you find out that fructose was the problem for you. I am 33 and have ibs-d for the last 3 yrs. I am trying to get it more under control and stable.

they are immature new
      #341771 - 02/06/09 08:29 PM
Little Minnie

but kids don't really tease kids about things that don't bother them. When you show weakness or something is touchy to you that is when they get ya!
At my workplace 1 person has colitis, one has lupus, one has arthritis (young), one has diabetes (young), one has bad IBS or something undiagnosed, one has horrible migraines and just had west nile, etc. So yes almost everyone has something.

--------------------

#341793 - 02/07/09 01:40 PM
Syl

It happened shortly after I came across this site. Here I discovered the importance of eating more soluble than insoluble fiber with every meal. Later, while reading the IBS research literature I stumbled across the possibility that excess fructose, that is foods containing more fructose than glucose, could be a trigger (see message). The excess fructose goes undigested to the colon where it is rapidly fermented producing other byproducts and gases. If the concentration is high enough it acts like an osmotic laxative. Non-IBS individuals can have problems with fructose. IBSers with sensitive bowels may find excess fructose foods trigger a flare-up. The difficulty one faces is determining the threshold amount at which the excess fructose is a problem. It varies from person to person.

There are two accepted methods for determining if an individual is a fructose malabsorber: breath test and exclusion from the diet. My GP told me that we didn't have a test facility in the area so my only choice was to use an exclusion process.

Within a couple of weeks I noticed a significant decrease in general IBS symptoms. The change was about as great as the change I noticed when I reduced my consumption of insoluble fiber foods.

A baking accident showed me how sensitive I was to foods with excess fructose. My diet was pretty well under control. One of the treats I enjoyed was homemade cinnamon buns. I had been eating them for weeks with no problems. One day I made a slight change to the recipe. I added a drizzle of maple syrup to the brown sugar before spreading it on the dough for baking. During the evening I would have a warmed up cinnamon bun and a cup of fennel tea. Within 10 days I was having a serious IBS flare-up. A couple of times I awoke with early morning D which indicated a flare-up was coming. I removed the buns from my diet and within a couple of days the night time D cleared up. It took a couple weeks before I was back to being reasonably stable.

Later I discovered that different grades of maple syrup contain different ratios of fructose to glucose. The grade I was using had more fructose than glucose. Not a lot more so I found out I was quite sensitive.

Dietary exclusion is so easy to do. Within a month or so you know if excess fructose is a problem. If it is then modify Heather's diet accordingly. If it isn't then enjoy sweet tasting fruits!

--------------------

I love apples too! new
      #341847 - 02/09/09 08:09 AM
Jordy

Thanks for your response!

--------------------

Re: Do you feel better?-nt new
      #341881 - 02/09/09 07:44 PM
Meower55

Reged: 06/24/08
Loc: Beaverton, Oregon

I've been taking Fiber Choice and its primary ingredient is inulin which has fructose/fructans. So I haven't really been avoiding *all* high fructose ingredients like I thought I was. And, I have had some really good days which I don't think should have happened if I was sensitive to high fructose. Does that make sense? So, I am not very helpful here I'm sorry.

--------------------
Nancy

Re: Do you feel better?-nt new
      #341892 - 02/10/09 04:19 AM
Syl

It is possible to have trouble with high excess fructose foods and not have problems with fructans unless consumed in a large amount.

--------------------

very good points!-nt new
      #341933 - 02/11/09 06:41 AM
Jordy

--------------------

And it's possible... new
      #341934 - 02/11/09 06:44 AM
Jordy

....that fructose just doesn't bother some people.

--------------------

Re: And it's possible... new
      #341938 - 02/11/09 07:07 AM
Syl

At a high enough level fructose malabsorption occurs for everyone. However, some people can tolerate 30, 40 or more grams of excess fructose while others cannot tolerate 5 excess grams. Excess fructose is not digested by the body but it is fermented in the colon by bacteria producing gases and by products. The extra sensitivity of an IBSer's colon to things such as increase pressure from gas may cause discomfort. I believe I have explained this to you a couple of times over the past few years

--------------------

I just don't want new
      #341941 - 02/11/09 07:30 AM
Jordy

....people to have the same food fears that caused me to become dangerously underweight. It's horrible fearing all these foods. Pretty soon, there is nothing to eat between IBS, GF, FI....I'm really struggling with what I can and cannot eat and the unknown is really stressing me out. I cry over this stupid unknow...not only the FI but the GF too. I just don't know if I have to restrict them when I don't really feel significantly better, than I can tell, at least.

--------------------

Re: I just don't want new
      #341942 - 02/11/09 07:43 AM
Syl

Instead of worrying get tested for gluten intolerance and fructose malabsorption. If the results are negative then you know you don't have to worry about them any more

--------------------

I was tested for celiac new
      #341945 - 02/11/09 07:53 AM
Jordy

The blood work came back positive on two of the three tests. Not the test most indicitive for celiac. But 3 doctors have told me even though I tested positive, that doesn't mean I have to eat GF because "lots of people" test positive and don't have to eat GF"....but that leaves questions in my mind. Did I test positive for a reason? I agree, I don't have celiac...but I don't know, and will never be sure if I need to eat GF. I swear some of the best GI docs have told me to go ahead and eat gluten...but I'm afraid to because of my positive tests.

--------------------

Re: I was tested for celiac new
      #341949 - 02/11/09 08:02 AM
Syl

The gold standard test for celiacs disease is a endoscopy. They take a biopsy of the small intestine and look for damaged villi. Blood work can have false positive results - an endoscopy can't. In order to have a endoscopy test for celiacs you need to be eating gluten because if you don't then you can invalidate the test.

If you are still worried about gluten then ask your GI for a endoscopy.

--------------------

False Positive Info... new
      #341952 - 02/11/09 08:12 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I know I've said this before, but wanted to remind you. When I had my gallbladder out my doc said I now didn't need to eat gluten free. A year before when I tested positive, my surgeon said it was because something was swollen or inflamed causing the false positive.
So, I spent a yr of my life GF and felt no better. Adding gluten back in was easy for me and it DID help.
But please keep in mind--he said if there was any inflamation you could get a false positive.
Still hang in there. It's a long and frustrating road.
(I say this as I'm home with belly cramps this morning. I got a little risky eating an entire 3 muskateers and mini cupcake yesterday. LOL what was I thinking?!)

--------------------
IBS-A

#341957 - 02/11/09 08:50 AM
Jordy

I've had an endoscopy (pre-gf) and it came back normal.

My blood test came back positive on 3 separate occasions.

--------------------

Re: False Positive Info... new
      #341958 - 02/11/09 08:52 AM
Jordy

thank you, Aly, for the reminder!!!! You are very inspiring to me!

--------------------

Aly new
      #341959 - 02/11/09 09:01 AM
Jordy

You had your Gallbaldder out because it wasn't functioning, right? Is that what caused the inflammation? Are all nonfunctioning gallbladders inflammed, I wonder.

--------------------

Re: Aly new
      #341962 - 02/11/09 09:59 AM
Aly

Yep, mine was functioning at 6% and causing some right side pain that could get really bad at times.
That's why I had it out. When the test to check the functioning was done, the nurse then said it looked big on the screen. After the surgery the doc said it was inflamed, but I cannot remember if all nonfunctioning gallbladders would be inflamed, but I bet they could be...

--------------------
IBS-A

#341975 - 02/11/09 06:36 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

I've had an endoscopy (pre-gf) and it came back normal.

My blood test came back positive on 3 separate occasions.

Does that mean they took a sample for GI testing or not? I'm confused.

--------------------

yes new
      #342006 - 02/12/09 01:21 PM
Jordy

They did the biopsy and it came back okay. And I don't carry the gene for celiac...but I tested positive on 3 separate occasions on two of the three gluten antibody tests.

The doctors tell me to eat GF or not, doesn't matter to them...which leaves me in a chronic state of confusion.

Any advice is appreciated.

--------------------

Syl new
      #342007 - 02/12/09 01:23 PM
Jordy

Do you have any intelligent opinion on whether or not I need to eat GF, given my results?

--------------------

#342008 - 02/12/09 01:28 PM
Jordy

Mine was very slowly, but they didn't make any comment on it looking big or inflammed.

What does gallbladder pain feel that is different from IBS pain. I don't "think" I have specific Gallbladder pain...not that I would know the difference.

--------------------

thats weird new
      #342009 - 02/12/09 01:30 PM
mcem222

So you're saying
You have an endoscopy and biopsy which showed normal intestinal villi
but you had 2/3 gluten antibody tests come out positive?

I thought that the biopsy was the gold standard for celiac, and if your villi were fine, then you dont have celiac
by any chance, were you on a gluten free diet before the biopsy?

Re: thats weird new
      #342020 - 02/12/09 04:01 PM
Jordy

Quote:

So you're saying
You have an endoscopy and biopsy which showed normal intestinal villi
but you had 2/3 gluten antibody tests come out positive?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

I was not eating gluten free before the biopsy.

--------------------

Re: Syl new
      #342025 - 02/12/09 05:05 PM
Syl

It doesn't sound like you have to eat GF. However, you might try lower but not eliminating your daily consumption of wheat products for a bit and see what happens. The other gluten containing grains should be fine.

--------------------

#342028 - 02/12/09 05:28 PM
Aly

It isn't easy to tell the difference, but sometimes when I had the pain I was also vomiting, which is not IBS related. Honestly though, I had a difficult time telling the difference between the pains. However, I felt that without the function, my gallbladder was useless. Getting it out made a big difference. I still have IBS, but those right side pains are gone. Also, I felt better having a diseased organ OUT of my body.
I know it's a tough decision, and it wasn't an easy surgery for me, but was well worth it.
Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: thats weird new
      #342032 - 02/12/09 06:06 PM
Little Minnie

Read the article I linked in a post today. It explains how food allergy tests can be wrong. If your biopsy was negative the positive blood tests were wrong.

--------------------

#342037 - 02/12/09 06:18 PM
Jordy

thank you for your opinion. I'll have to think of a non-wheat bread.
So you don't think the consistant antibodies mean anything, right?

--------------------

I'll look for it, thanks!-nt new
      #342038 - 02/12/09 06:18 PM
Jordy

--------------------

#342041 - 02/12/09 06:21 PM
Jordy

Thank you. I've never had the vomiting either. I'll talk to my doctor about this. I would think if the gallbladder wasn't working, then bile would not be released to help with digestion, like it's suppose to. I never thought of a non functioning gallbladder as diseased.

--------------------

#342048 - 02/13/09 04:28 AM
Syl

Hmmmm - I suggested you reduce not eliminate wheat. A couple of slices of wheat bread a day should be fine.

If you doctor isn't worried about false positive tests then I am not worried either

--------------------

#342049 - 02/13/09 04:38 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Jordy, how long before the endoscopy were you not consuming gluten? I'm sure you already know this, but in order for a biopsy to be considered a valid indicator, you have to eat a fair amount of gluten for at least a month before the test is conducted.

--------------------
IBS-C

#342215 - 02/17/09 06:39 AM
Jordy

I wish I was brave enough to just "do it". I trust your opinion, yet I am so afraid to try eating gluten, after refraining from it for 4 years! I'm just scared and sort of brainwashed by the results of those antibody tests.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 310 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 37223

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review