All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need Cheese Recommendations
      #339616 - 12/18/08 04:50 PM
pharmacist25

Reged: 12/12/08

I just started with this diet and so far so good. feeling better, but I need some cheese! I have been drinking the rice milk as opposed to the soy and like it much better. Can anyone recommend any good cheeses? IS the Rice cheese any good? Thanks for the help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Cheese Recommendations new
      #339629 - 12/18/08 08:24 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I like the vegan gourmet brand of soy cheese. There's also toffuti ang vegan rella but I didn't like them as much. I would avoid the soy cheeses made with whey and caesin as they can aggravate IBS. Anything labelled vegan should be safe

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#339666 - 12/19/08 12:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The best cheese I've tried is Soy Station mozzarella style. It tastes like real cheese. The fake American cheese slices are quite good too. They melt very quickly so be careful. They make excellent grilled cheese or cheese Boca burger.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Need Cheese - minnie new
      #339684 - 12/19/08 03:40 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Do these really taste good? I haven't been able to find a good cheese replacement, so I have done without. It would be nice to have a grilled cheese.

Thanks

Soy cheeses new
      #339687 - 12/19/08 03:59 PM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Are the fake american cheese slices made from Soy also?

I miss cheese the most! Cheddar was my favorite (I ate it everyday!) and I also miss putting parmesian on my pasta ( I do cheat sometimes because I miss it so much). Do you know of any good parmesian substitutes?

I don't do well with soy milk. Does this mean I may not do well with soy cheeses?

I guess its worth a try!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339688 - 12/19/08 03:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I love Galaxy American and Cheddar cheese slices. The Pepper Jack is also pretty good. The American makes a great grilled tuna sandwich, and I like the Jack melted over corn chips for nachos.

This brand also seems to be in tons of regular grocery stores, in the produce department, so easy to find!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#339694 - 12/19/08 06:57 PM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Thanks Heather!
I checked out the Galaxy web site. They offer several options: Veggie, Rice, Veggy, Rice Vegan and Vegan.

The veggie had all the flavors you mentioned, is this the one you buy?

I'm excited to try the Veggy Parmesian. I get gassy from Soy so I'll have to start small.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: Need Cheese - minnie new
      #339794 - 12/21/08 10:57 AM
Little Minnie

I really like both of those recommended cheeses. I don't think anyone could tell the difference with these unless you told them. But not the vegan versions. Those aren't good. I am pretty fussy with my alternative products so I assume if I like them others might too.
The mozzarella one would be good enough for pizza. I put some on salad last night and ate the leftover bit just like real cheese. I haven't done that with other alternatives products!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Soy cheeses new
      #339795 - 12/21/08 11:00 AM
Little Minnie

Yes generally they are soy or rice based- or sometimes almond. I would give the soy ones a try. It isn't like drinking soy milk which is so filling.

--------------------

#339802 - 12/21/08 01:02 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Lisanatti makes good soy, rice, and almond cheeses. Their cheddar soy is probably my favorite. Their soy and rice version melt really well and taste good enough that my non-IBS husband will eat them in omlettes and grilled sandwiches. I've found Lisanatti stuff at Whole Foods. Trader Joe's might carry them, too.

I like the Galaxy slices, too. As for their chunk cheeses, I can only recommend the mozzarella. I thought the cheddar chunk was absolutely vile when I tried it.

#340648 - 01/09/09 09:12 PM
Sweetfudge

Reged: 03/13/06
Loc: Utah

I just found tofutti cream cheese. used it to make a shrimp cocktail for new years. it was so yummy. the cheese by itself isn't as sour as regular cream cheese, but it was still really good.
i liked vegan gourmet's american cheese slices.
haven't found a cheddar/parmesan sub i love yet.
(p.s. i am not much a fan of drinking soy milk, mostly just use for baking, but i haven't really had a problem w/ the flavor in the soy cheeses, so i wouldn't use that to gauge whether to try them or not)

--------------------
Sweetfudge

Diagnosed w/ celiac disease June 2006, and started gluten free diet.
Stopped eating dairy June 2008.
Started IBS diet October 2008.
Diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in 2008 and lost 45 unwanted lbs!

#340652 - 01/10/09 03:27 AM
Hunca

Reged: 02/09/08

I use the Galaxy rice cheese slices and block cheese. I think the cheddar is esp tasty. I have to stay away from soy as much as I can, as I'm going thru menopause, and soy just messes me up ... makes my body think it's getting a little estrogen again, so it revs up for the once-a-month dealio, and then my IBS flares, bigtime. No more Silk eggnog until I'm done with this stupid menopause.

I love rice milk! I think, even if I didn't have to? I'd still buy it and drink it, 'cuz I love it. I buy rice pasta, too. The Galaxy cheeses are a little odd-tasting, at first, but you get used to it, and now I really love it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1025 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3680

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review