All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question for Heather, or others -- about fat consumption
      #33812 - 12/27/03 12:14 AM
barb n

Reged: 10/14/03

Hi - I remember Heather saying that an IBS safe diet should be low in fat but definitely contain some good fats -- and I think she said that good fat should make up about 25% of an IBS safe diet. I have trouble relating to the 25%, don't know how to figure that out -- would it be possible to state that in terms of approximate number of grams that would be a day? I know that diets vary -- but this would be for an average weight female. It seems easier to figure it out from grams, instead of percents. My daughter had a bad stomach ache tonight and I think she may be eating too much good fat -- as she has been trying to increase it -- since she is cold alot of the time, and never used to be.... -- and I thought maybe her diet had gotten too low-fat..... I hope that question makes sense---- thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question for Heather, or others -- about fat consumption new
      #33816 - 12/27/03 05:19 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Each meal should not be more than 20-25% fat content.

To figure out your percentage, divide the total calories into the calories from fat.

If you don't know the calories from fat and only the grams of fat, multiply the number of fat grams by 9. This will give you the total number of calories from fat (fat has nine calories per gram).

Fats new
      #33837 - 12/27/03 08:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Thanks Mags! You are the source of all knowledge!

It was bugging me that so few things had the fat calories on them!

#33913 - 12/27/03 11:47 PM
barb n

Thanks for the answer -- although I would still like to know about how much grams of fat this means for the average eater -- 5'6" slender woman ? It just would be simpler than dealing with calories and percentages. Sorry. Also, does anyone know about how many grams of fat an avocado has? and an almond? Thanks !

#33916 - 12/28/03 12:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The low fat thing with IBS applies to each thing you eat, not your average daily consumption. It's 25% per food, not 25% average per day.

#34228 - 12/29/03 01:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Mags and Linz gave you good advice. For grams, let's say your daughter is eating 2,000 calories a day (a good number for a young woman, give or take). You want 20-25% of those calories from fat - so, for the day, that would be 400-500 calories. Fats have 9 calories per gram, so if you divide 400-500 by 9 calories you get 44-55 grams of fat.

Linz is right - you want each meal/snack to not exceed 25% calories from fat. Spread out your daily fat consumption so that you're always incorporating the heart-healthy fats with a good soluble fiber basis. You should definitely NOT be eating too little fat for good overall health. You'd have to go below the 20-25% fat mark, or be on a very low calorie diet overall, for this to happen.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#34315 - 12/29/03 08:38 PM
barb n

Thanks for the answers, I understand this better now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1019 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 811

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review