All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Colonoscopy advice
      #337494 - 10/28/08 02:24 PM
Moon

Reged: 02/02/03

I always had ibs-D. In the last year or so since entering menopause I am constantly constipated. I have to go for a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks and I am quite nervous about this whole thing. I have to take picolax. Any recommendations to make this more gentle on my system. Thanks a lot.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy advice new
      #337523 - 10/28/08 10:21 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I've not had one so far but I think once I've seen a GI doc he's going to recommend one. I'm not bothered about the test itself - but I'm not looking forward to the cleaning out that has to happen first of all. However if you go to the Crohn's and Colitis board there's a sticky post about getting through a colonoscopy. Should I need to go for one I'm planning to follow it's advice. Despite it's unpleasant nature it's a good test to have especially since your symptoms have changed. My father in law told me he's been scoped four time so if he can get through it I'm sure we'll be fine.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

#337596 - 10/31/08 02:05 PM
1974girl

Reged: 10/30/08

I have to go Wednesday for my first one and I am nervous about the prep, too. My doc does Miralax in Gatorade along with a couple of Dulcolax. They did tell me that if I didn't think I could handle that, then they have 30 pills you take! 30! And even then, you still have to drink all the water that you would have anyway. The Miralax is tasteless so I have lucked out with this doctor. So many make you drink that nasty stuff and I have a very easy gag reflex. I would have opted for the 30 pills had it been that other yucky stuff. Good luck (to both of us!)

#337631 - 11/02/08 05:58 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Hi, I've done a colonoscopy once and am going for my second soon.I was nervous too, but the actual procedure was a piece of cake. I was put to sleep(tell your doctor you want to be put to sleep). It was the best rest I had in a long time!!! The preparation the night before was rough, STAY HOME, you'll be running to the bathroom every 1/2hr. For me it was a relief because I'm IBS-C. You'll get through it, just think it'll be over soon and the next day you'll rest!! Good Luck, you'll be fine, If I could do it, so could you, cuz Im a chicken!!

#339420 - 12/15/08 01:48 PM
momof2girls

Reged: 12/15/08

I did my colonoscopy last week and played all over the internet trying to find out how to make this as tolerable as possible. I did Movi-Prep. Here's what I did (my first post - am hoping this might help someone else) for my "tricks" to get it down
- got the potion as cold as possible
- drank it through a straw
- held a lemon under my nose while drinking so I didn't smell it
- washed my mouth out with warm saltwater immediately afterwards
- chewed spearamint gum right afterwards until that "taste" was gone

The major problem I had is that you were supposed to take the first 4 doses 15 minutes apart. With IBS-D and all, I didn't have 45+ minutes from my first sip until the "effects" began, so that was logistically challenging.

I hadn't been prepared for the "effects". Everything I read seemed to indicate you went to the bathroom every 30 minutes to an hour. I literally went more like every 2 minutes. No exaggeration. Fortunately I had books (and even a portable DVD player) in my bathroom, so that was ok. The problem was sleeping....... my second dose was at 9:00-9:45 and the near-constant "effects" continued until about 4:00 in the morning. By 7:30am when it was time to get in the car to head to the hospital, things had "settled down" to every 15 minutes (I had to stop the car twice on the way to the hospital). I wasn't prepared for that part.

BUT a couple of hours after the procedure, once I had some food on my stomach, all was well, and it doesn't seem like this has "triggered" any kind of secondary attacks, which really surprised me.

The procedure itself was fine - no problems there.

#339426 - 12/15/08 02:22 PM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Congrats on getting through your colonoscopy!
Glad everything is ok.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

There's a great colonoscopy prep post here new
      #339434 - 12/15/08 05:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=IBD&Number=20349&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#339436 - 12/15/08 05:11 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I just had my first colonoscopy last week. I had to drink Golytely which was not pleasant. My dr. office told me I could mix in crystal light which normally gives me D and since that was the end goal I figured I would give it a try. Adding flavor did help a bit but it was difficult to get that stuff down.

The procedure the next day was a breeze. they gave me a muscle relaxer and a mild sedative. I slept through the whole thing. The doc did tell me that I have mild diverticulitis which is lovely on top of IBS D. She told me to eat more fiber.

You will be fine. If you have any questions or concerns call your doctors office and speak with the nurse.

Good luck!

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review