All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
4.5 grams of fat?
      #336707 - 10/03/08 01:03 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I found some vanilla wafers that looked safed I was just wondering if 4.25 grams of fat was to much for a snack? thanks everyone!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heather's Ibs Cheat Sheet new
      #336709 - 10/03/08 01:38 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

PERSONALLY I'd be fine with that. If you have not read this yet... it is really great info Heather's Ibs Cheat Sheet and might answer some of your questions. If not, please keep posting yours....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I use this.. new
      #336710 - 10/03/08 02:18 PM
emmasmom

Ya I have this and I use it everyday I just don't understand fat and how much is to much in one meal or snack thats all.
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

don't take it the wrong way! new
      #336717 - 10/03/08 03:39 PM
Shell Marr

that was "just in case" you did not have it... don't take it the wrong way! You might want to plan our your meals/snacks for the day..... keep your fat to 25% or less for the whole day. Is that something you can try?? Play with different combinations and see what works best?

--------------------

Re: 4.5 grams of fat? new
      #336720 - 10/03/08 03:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - there are a couple different issues here. In general, your fat content in any individual meal or snack shouldn't be more than 25%, maybe 30% at the max, and if you're having a tough time stabilizing then stay at 20% or below.

But, if you're talking about a very small portion of food overall, like one small cookie, then the fat percentage might be higher than that. This could be okay, because the total fat intake from that cookie may be low because the portion size is tiny.

It's really hard to give black and white numbers here. In general, use the 20% - 30% guideline for true snacks and meals. If it's just a small bite of something that's a splurge I'd at least try to keep the fat intake at 100 calories from fat or less. That's about one tablespoon of fat, or 11 fat grams.

4.5 grams of fat would have 40.5 calories, because all fats have nine calories per gram. So you're getting about 1/2 Tablespoon of fat in this cookie, which is probably just fine if you're eating one or two cookies. It's not fine if you're eating the whole box.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

And..... new
      #336722 - 10/03/08 04:12 PM
Shell Marr

that is why Heather is the Queen of IBS!!

--------------------

Re: don't take it the wrong way! new
      #336724 - 10/03/08 04:17 PM
emmasmom

I didn't I just don't understand the whole fat thing I try to keep it as low as possible and to be honest I am not that good with math . I try to plan meals and snacks I just have limted choices. Thanks for your help please know I DO appericate it!
emmasmom (Sheila)
ibs-c gas

Thank You Heather!-nt new
      #336725 - 10/03/08 04:17 PM
emmasmom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2481

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review