All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acadia Fiber
      #336611 - 09/30/08 09:57 AM
amos

Reged: 05/15/06

My question is simple. How long do I keep taking the fiber? Is this something you take for the rest of your life? Just Curious.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Acadia Fiber - forever ... new
      #336624 - 10/01/08 12:39 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

For me it's a major part of being stable. It's a forever.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

The thing with Acacia and all other soluble fiber supplements... new
      #336632 - 10/01/08 10:25 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

is that they only work while they're in your gut. So, you do need to take them on an ongoing basis. Since IBS is a chronic condition it needs to be managed on a daily basis.

The only thing discovered so far that you can use as a treatment that has benefits that last for years after you stop is gut-directed hypnotherapy. There's a program here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/books/hypnoibs.asp and there is a ton of info all about this type of hypnotherapy starting here http://www.helpforibs.com/hypnosis/

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: The thing with Acacia and all other soluble fiber supplements... new
      #336670 - 10/02/08 02:03 PM
pumpkin73

Reged: 10/02/08
Loc: California

I tried the Acacia fiber for the first time a week ago ... about a half teaspoon in a glass of water. It gave me terrible diarrhea. Is this normal, and will it subside if I keep at it? I want to be able to use this stuff, since it seems to help a lot of people, but I'm scared.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas and cramping; dairy and wheat intolerant

#336691 - 10/03/08 07:33 AM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

Heather - A while a go you mentioned about transportable packets. Any news on that? If someone is taking 1 1/2 teaspoons before breakfast and dinner, how may fibercons would you take? I know you have equivalent charts but it doesn't seem the same. I'd love you own experience of this. this is more if you are going out later in the day and you want a somewhat subtle way of taking fiber.

Also, how much can you increase it to stop diarrhea?

Thanks so much!

#336713 - 10/03/08 02:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - we're still sourcing machinery for the travel packets, but they will be coming.

Each Fibercon tablet has .5 grams of fiber. 1.5 teaspoons of Acacia has 3 grams of fiber. So 6 Fibercon tabs would equal 1.5 teaspoons of Acacia.

You can gradually increase all the way up to 30 grams (5 tablespoons) of Acacia per day, but most folks on the diarrhea end resolve at a lower dose (it tends to be the chronic constipation that takes the high dose).

On average, diarrhea folks seem to need about 2 tablespoons per day of the Acacia (that's 6 teaspoons). But - some people resolve before they get to that dose, and some people need to keep gradually increasing. The only magic number is the one that works for you!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Please email us at help@helpforibs.com for help with this. -nt- new
      #336714 - 10/03/08 02:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#336730 - 10/04/08 10:08 AM
kteach

Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: New York, NY

Yay! Travel packets would be excellent! Acacia has really been a lifesaver for me. thank you!

--------------------
IBS-D 8 years

Re: Acadia Fiber new
      #336732 - 10/04/08 10:42 AM
Helpmytummy

Reged: 07/12/07

Hi Heather,
I have been using your fiber for about 2 yrs or so and it has helped tremendously. My problem now is that about 3 weeks ago I had my gallbladder removed. I don't know how to adjust my fiber now, I have been having to run to the bathroom 3-4 times a day again. Do I try and increase the fiber? I don't want to take to much because when i tried increasing in the past before my surgery, i found that I would have problems that way to, maybe i should decrease it? I am so confused and frustrated because I seemed to have a pretty good handle on it and now its starting all over again Any suggestions would be appreciated

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1740 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3588

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review