All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is this alot?
      #334352 - 08/10/08 11:38 AM

Unregistered

Ok I opened a new pouch of acacia today and put it in the refilable container and theres about 2 inches of space at the top. So how much acacia would u say that is? is that alot, have u ever taken that much?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this alot? new
      #334546 - 08/13/08 08:43 AM

Unregistered

is going through about 1 pouch of a acacia a week alot?

bump....... new
      #334607 - 08/14/08 08:30 AM

Unregistered

#334614 - 08/14/08 09:26 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I would certainly think that's a lot!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#334637 - 08/14/08 12:30 PM

Unregistered

Do you see any problem with taking this much? It is very helpful for me to take this much.

#334638 - 08/14/08 01:02 PM
horseperson

Reged: 02/08/07

I take 3 TBS a day-1 before each meal, and the container (1 pouch) last me about 3 weeks.

#334639 - 08/14/08 01:03 PM

Unregistered

i take alot more than that, I think I'm buying acacia like 3 times a month..can i view my order history in my account?

#334642 - 08/14/08 01:55 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Look at the dosage info on the package... How many grams of fiber does that work out to per day of acacia? I doubt there's anything "wrong" with it, but I can't believe that doesn't make you constipated! You must eat a ton of IF.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

oh wow! this is ridiculous new
      #335003 - 08/20/08 12:50 PM

Unregistered

I've had a new package of acacia for 3 or 4 days, its over half gone!!

The maximum recommended dosage is 5 level tablespoons per day... new
      #335018 - 08/20/08 03:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and that tends to be only for people with severe, chronic constipation. It should also take you at least several weeks, and maybe several months, to work up to that dosage. You need to have started with 1/2 teaspoon twice daily, and increased gradually.

We do have a handful of people who are at 6 tablespoons per day, but they're definitely an exception.

You need to measure your dosage carefully and then calculate how many grams per day you're taking. There are 2 grams of acacia in one level teaspoon, or 6 grams of acacia in one level tablespoon.

The max recommended dosage is 30 grams per day. It is possible to safely take more than that, but after a certain point having too much fiber in the diet can interfere with nutritional absorption. There aren't too many hard numbers for this, but I've seen references to cultures that eat in excess of 50, 70, or even 80 grams per day, so you'd have to top that. This number would include all fiber from foods in your diet, not just the acacia.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: The maximum recommended dosage is 5 level tablespoons per day... new
      #335050 - 08/20/08 09:52 PM

Unregistered

I really do hav a bad motility problem.. I have to be on the toilet 10 times or more per day... SOmetimes my stool gets mushy and I end up having to take that much for me to go..I've been doing this for quite some time. I also eat alot of carrot,minute rice. Baked lays,jennio products.. 2 days ago I ate a tortilla with minute rice,chicken and 2 small,thin slices of tomatoe, the afternoon before that..i ate at arbys,curly fries and a girll chicken sandwich.. SO should I be worried about my nutritional absorbtion at this point? But If I cut down when I know I need tons..I will have more bathroom problems..

heather also a woman question.. new
      #335051 - 08/20/08 10:09 PM

Unregistered

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope you answere the one reply above it and this one!

So I was wondering If Ibs can slow down my period starting..Is it possible my colon is pushing on me, because I noticed I had just a tiny bit of pink residue,thats the start of my cyle..But I never got it today,but I did notice a few minutes ago that there is more and seens to be starting. I did have some stool stuck that finally came out after work..maybe not all of it though..

omg, whats wrong with me? new
      #335086 - 08/21/08 09:24 AM

Unregistered

Ove been taking tons of acacia. It is that time of the month..but my stools are really soft and are almost diarreah.

bump....notext new
      #335150 - 08/22/08 09:45 AM

Unregistered

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review