All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
To the Discouraged Ones Amoung Us
      #324683 - 02/13/08 04:28 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I've been reading a lot of discouraged posts lately. Frustration with being unstable. Unhappy with the limitations of your diet. Upset because of the strain your ibs is causing on your personal life.

I want you to know it is possible to feel better and become stable. But, you should also know, it is not an overnight occurrence.

I relapsed in February 2006. I've had IBS for over 15 years. I've never been as ill as I was in 2006. I pretty much gave up eating. I lost over 40 lbs. I was so sick my GI recommended I quit my job outright. He also wanted me hospitalized if I dropped any more weight. It was grim. I was grey, literally. My face and skin were sallow and dusky like a little ol' lady. My hair was turning grey. I looked horrible. I had a ton of stress in my life. It seemed nothing I did to help my ibs was helping. I was beginning to give up hope of ever feeling better.

Here I am, 2 years later. Yes folks, 2 years. It took me 2 years to get stable again. And it took a lot of work, hard, painful work. Hard because I had to watch everything I put in my mouth. Hard because I missed the cheats I had grown accustomed to over the 13 years since my diagnosis. Hard because everybody who didn't know me well started to say I was just faking it, and those who did know me well just didn't know what to do or say. Painful because everytime I had an attack I knew I had taken 2 steps backwards for the 1 step forward I'd taken that day. I averaged 3 to 5 attacks a day some days. It was unbearable. I remember 1 night I used an entire double roll of toilet paper. What a memory to have

But as I said, here I sit, 2 years later - stable. It was hard work. I watched every label for ingredients and fat content. I cooked as much from scratch as possible so I knew what I was eating. I didn't eat out if I could avoid it. I carried (and still do) safe food with me everywhere I go - work, shopping, traveling, visiting family. There's a pocket in my purse specifically used for peppermint tea bags!

I want to let all of you who are so discouraged right now that it is possible to feel better. But it is going to take a long time. You might not notice that one day you didn't have an attack because you focus only the days you do have them. Take it from me, once you're attack is over, move on to rebuilding your stability.

I did the hypno cds twice. I changed careers to get away from a highly stressful environment. I follow the diet. I de-stress with aquabics and yoga. I have a mantra which I rhyme through my head when I have an attack to help me feel better. I also keep a symptom journal. I write down what I feel like every day. If something triggered an attack, I keep track of that too.

You can all do it. If I can do it, you can all do it. They say the best things in life are free, but that's not true - you have to work hard for them. And being stable is HARD WORK!

There is no magic formula which I can give to you to say how I got stable by eating this and avoiding that. You will have to work that out on your own.

I wish you all a happy tummy day. One day at a time.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To the Discouraged Ones Amoung Us new
      #324687 - 02/13/08 05:11 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Toady, what a great post! It's so encouraging for the rest of us! You've come a long way and you're the winner in this ibs battle! I'm so happy for you !

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#324705 - 02/14/08 06:58 AM

Unregistered

I really needed this today, thank you.

#324727 - 02/14/08 08:41 AM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

What a great post Cassandra! We need to be reminded of this from time to time! I have only been on the diet for 3 months and I remember expecting it to work within a few days - I grew frustrated very quickly and almost quit right then and there. But I am so glad I kept it up because I believe I am now 70-80% stable. I still get frustrated when I have an attack, but not as much as I used to, and I remember that it took a lot longer than just a few weeks or months for some people. Thank you!

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

This is an amazing post, Cassandra. (m) new
      #327671 - 04/02/08 07:29 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think it should be bumped to the top of the Board every week - or maybe every day!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#327681 - 04/02/08 11:39 AM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

That was a good post Cassandra. I know I have complained about the diet being limited just because I hate giving up favorite foods. But, I'm working on it and trying to be more positive about the whole experience.

Thank you, Cassandra. What an inspiring post. -nt- new
      #327688 - 04/02/08 02:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#327697 - 04/02/08 08:32 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

I just came on to the message boards tonight to complain about my stomach problems, which don't seem to be going away, and the first thing I read is your post. Thanks for the encouragement and hope.
I haven't posted, or even perused, the message boards lately because I have been trying to convince myself that I don't have any problems! HA! I even stopped taking the Bentyl. I am pretty sure they are useless, and I really dislike having to take 5 or more of them a day. This is all my doc can do to help? Give me more Bentyl?
Anyway, thanks.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

#327733 - 04/03/08 03:34 PM
Toady

Caitlineb,

Oh I hear you about the dr! My GI offered to do a second colonoscopy "just to check" his initial findings from 15 years ago. Hmmm, no. I've got the diagnosis, I've got the bentylol, and I'm following Heather's diet. I'm good!

I understand how discouraged we all feel at times. That's why we're here - to support each other when there's noone else who understands.

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Thank you Heather - you're the one who makes it all possible ~nt~ new
      #327734 - 04/03/08 03:36 PM
Toady

--------------------
Cassandra

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2417

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review