All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What am I doing wrong
      #322334 - 01/14/08 03:44 PM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I have had gas and bloating for days now. I was extra carefuly today in what I ate and I am terribly gased up tonight. This is what I ate today:

Breakfast: herbal tea, banana

Mid-morning: yogurt and herbal tea

Lunch: oatmeal with a little regular sugar

Mid-afternoon: crackers, herbal tea (fennel this time)
peppermint herbal tea

So I now have gas and am meeting some friends for supper! What should I do differently?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What am I doing wrong new
      #322336 - 01/14/08 03:52 PM
CJIBSDG

Reged: 12/24/07
Loc: Idaho

I noticed 2 items that you listed that will give me bad gas:

1. banana
2. peppermint tea

I drink the peppermint tea only when I have D and it always results in gas, so whenever I drink peppermint after the D stops, I follow it up with fennel tea which usually prevents or eliminates the gas.

Hope this helps - Now drink lots of fennel tea before during and after your dinner.

another product that I use for gas is called gastrizyme (you can order it online).

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

#322341 - 01/14/08 04:09 PM
SherryJ

Reged: 12/22/07

Please read the posting by Sarah T "Update On My New Quest". This information was invaluable to me and now that I've given up Soluble fiber, no more gas! Maybe following the SCD program would be more beneficial for you.

peppermint tea? new
      #322349 - 01/14/08 06:29 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Really? I drink it like there's no tomorrow and I am bloated all the time....hmmm, I will try going off for a few days and see what happens.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#322365 - 01/15/08 06:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Peppermint tea...I drink that all the time. What brand Fennel do you use? Do you buy it in bags or loose?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#322397 - 01/15/08 12:32 PM
avjens

I buy the fennel in bags (Heather's Tummy Teas)

#322398 - 01/15/08 12:37 PM
avjens

Last night I met some friends at Genghis Grill and it pretty much killed me off for the night. I was even careful with my supper i.e. grilled chicken (very few), chopped carrots, baby corn, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, spiral noodles mixed with soy honey sauce.

I ate my supper and within minutes of being done, my stomach started cramping, gas was building and I thought I was going to die since I could not go anywhere until the thing was over. When I got home I laid on the couch, a lot of gas was passing, which, is embarassing and I feel so sorry for my family. I couldn't wait to just go to bed and sleep it off, which I did.

#322408 - 01/15/08 03:35 PM
LMo

Reged: 11/06/07
Loc: Los Angeles, California

If my stomach isn't stable, yogurt can really set me off, and I know this is unusual, but oatmeal can too. I stick to white toast with earth balance butter for breakfast or a very plain, low fiber cereal with soymilk. Bananas can also set me off, maybe try applesauce instead.

#322409 - 01/15/08 04:23 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Definately stay away from the yogurt - even though it is low in lactose it is still dairy and dairy is a major trigger for most IBSers! try soy yogurt instead - it's actually very good.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322437 - 01/16/08 05:45 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Sounds like you have a problem with HFCS. Honey is a real trigger for those of us that can't handle the fructose. Also, often grilled food at restaurants has a high fat content because they cover the grill with oil and it gets all over the food. Another problem I have at restaurants is they marinate the meat in something that is not safe before they grill it. I have pretty much given up on eating out and that IS a bummer!!!

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

#322440 - 01/16/08 07:52 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Last night I met some friends at Genghis Grill and it pretty much killed me off for the night. I was even careful with my supper i.e. grilled chicken (very few), chopped carrots, baby corn, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, spiral noodles mixed with soy honey sauce.

I ate my supper and within minutes of being done, my stomach started cramping, gas was building and I thought I was going to die since I could not go anywhere until the thing was over. When I got home I laid on the couch, a lot of gas was passing, which, is embarassing and I feel so sorry for my family. I couldn't wait to just go to bed and sleep it off, which I did.

I've found that corn and carrots both cooked and raw really upset my stomach so I completely avoid them. I believe a general rule of thumb is if you consume a food and it comes back out whole (if you see pieces of carrots and corn in your stool), then stay away from that food! I've noticed with tomatos if I peel the tomato, I don't see any evidence in my stool, but if I eat the peel, I see it the next day. I see corn and carrots in my stools every single time I eat them.

--------------------
Jeanette IBS-D, then switched to IBS-A, now stable with Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus Probiotic

Re: peppermint tea? new
      #322441 - 01/16/08 07:56 AM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Really? I drink it like there's no tomorrow and I am bloated all the time....hmmm, I will try going off for a few days and see what happens.

I found a chart somewhere on Heather's site (I'll try to find it again later). Anyway, it says to drink peppermint only when you have D and never when you have gas, bloating or constipation. The opposite applies to fennel. Following the chart is definitely working for me. Heather's fennel tea has become a staple for me, I bring it with me everywhere and drink it all day long in place of water. I am a little concerned however, because I've read that your urine should be almost clear and mine used to be but now that I've been drinking the fennel in place of water, it's always yellow (about the color of the tea itself). Does anyone know anything about this? Should I be concerned? Thanks

--------------------

#322469 - 01/16/08 11:17 AM
avjens

I have found that HFCS can bother me --- how I finally figured it out last summer, eating smores -- me and marshmallows do not get along at all. Same with just any kind of pancake syrup is a no no and a lot of candies, which I love candy. I never thought about honey being that way. Does pure honey have HFCS?

#322472 - 01/16/08 11:24 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Pure honey like HFCS contains more fructose than glucose. Generally speaking HFCS contains 10 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams. Honey contains about 6 grams of excess fructose per 100 grams. If you have troubles with HFCS it is quite likely you will have troubles with honey too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

About the treatment chart... new
      #322473 - 01/16/08 11:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's just meant to show what helps most with what symptoms. The peppermint isn't NOT to be used with gas or bloating or constipation - it will actually help gas and bloating somewhat, though not as much as fennel. And it won't hurt constipation. It's just a smooth muscle relaxant and painkiller, so it's really helpful for urgency and diarrhea.

Same thing in reverse for fennel - it's best for gas and bloating, but it will also act as a bit of anti-spasmodic so it can be helpful for painful spasms and urgency. Not as effective as peppermint, but not hurtful at all.

The chart is here IBS Treatments

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#322474 - 01/16/08 11:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Peeled carrots that are cooked until they are very soft - not just tender - don't tend to leave the body whole if chewed well. However, corn is a definite problem no matter how well it is cooked for many IBSers because of the high IF content of skin.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#322488 - 01/16/08 02:27 PM
CJIBSDG

Quote:

Peeled carrots that are cooked until they are very soft - not just tender - don't tend to leave the body whole if chewed well. However, corn is a definite problem no matter how well it is cooked for many IBSers because of the high IF content of skin.

While that may be the case for some, it certainly isn't for me. I've eaten soups with cooked carrots that are very well cooked and still see it in my stool the next day.

--------------------

Re: About the treatment chart... new
      #322489 - 01/16/08 02:29 PM
CJIBSDG

Heather, thanks for clarifying the chart!

--------------------

#322501 - 01/16/08 05:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know lots have already weighed in here, and I agree. NO dairy whatsoever, and oatmeal can be harsh for me - it does contain some insoluble fibre. I am super sensitive to starch insoluble fibres - like whole grains, wheats, etc., but can tolerate insolubles better in things like veggies. Go figure. It takes some time to figure out what things you do better with. All avoid foods are universal, but when it comes to insolubles, you'll find you'll do better with some than others. It's a painful trial and error. But hang in there. We've all been there. It just takes time. Also, try increasing the number of meals a day. And when you're going out for a large meal, have a huge strong cup of peppermint tea before you go, and even some really super safe soluble fibre, like a bowl of plain white rice. It helps "set the stage" and settle the tum before the other food gets there.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 537 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4346

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review