All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worries about IBS diet
      #32209 - 12/16/03 04:08 PM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I've been an IBS(C&D) sufferer for about 10 years. Just discovered this site and got the book First Year IBS. After reading so much contradictory info about what to eat for IBS (low starch, high protein, hypoallergenic/exclusion diets/specific carbohydrate, blah blah blah), I have a few worries about trying the IBS diet....can anyone help?

1. In the UK we are taught refined white starches are the cause of ill health and constipation, but these seem to be the basis of the IBS diet...

2. Isn't there a link between very low fat diets and depression, or at the very least they are bad for the skin and hair and are ageing?

3. I agree that excessive consumption of meat and dairy are acid forming in the body and cause the body to lose essential minerals, but aren't grains like wheat and rice acid forming too; as opposed to alkaline forming foods (vegetables, fruits and potatoes) which should be the basis of a diet???

4. having avoided wheat (even white flour) for some time, I'm very nervous about reintroducing it as it seems to be the first food suggested for avoiding for any sort of digestive problems...any reassurance?

Despite sounding sceptical, I'm actually very hopeful this will work for me, as the technical info on this site about IBS as a condition makes more sense to me than anything else I've ever read.
Thanks - Shellsbells

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worries about IBS diet new
      #32264 - 12/17/03 04:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Whew, what a lot of questions! Only kidding .

1. I had the same mental link going on as a fellow Brit. However... processed stuff is NOT recommended for the IBS diet. Although it's white bread only, it is FRESH stuff, not supermarket Value. Plus, remeber that our government are battling a very unhealthy mind-set when it comes to food - they're not really aiming at the healthy-living.

2. The low fat diet is certainly not as good for your skin - I get through a lot more lotion now than I used to. But I consider the benefits to outweigh this disadvantage. Also, you can still use "good" fats in your cooking. Use olive oil. Eat avocadoes.

3. Not sure about acid/alkaline-forming and I think rice is okay. If you want though, you could eat more potatoes and less wheat and rice.

4. If your symptoms haven't improved significantly since giving up wheat, then you won't be sensitive/allergic to it.

Hope this helps. Linz

#32365 - 12/17/03 10:34 AM
Shellsbells

Thanks for the advice Linz,
I suppose I'll have to try the diet now; must be mad to try to start this close to Christmas, but will do my best.
My problem is only giving things a couple of days - if I have a bad day I panic and stop. Will try to see this through for longer.

Dreaming of the day when I no longer anxious and going purple in the face when I'm in a meeting etc in case I break wind, get pains, or have to make a mad dash for the toilet, for the umpteenth time!!!

#32368 - 12/17/03 10:47 AM
pieta63

Reged: 12/17/03

yes- I too am worried about eating all that high carb. stuff- when I here about conflicting things- like eat lower carb. I have given up dairy- even wheat, even soy- eat mainly cooked fruit- I love salad but I suffer when I eat it even if I do what is recommended here on this diet. sometimes I wonder if anything diet wise matters. i am going to see my big name gastroenterolgist in 2 days- Columbia Presbyterian hosp in NY- very highly respected and try to get somefeedback- I am kind of in a relapse state- and hope that I don't have to go on medication. I know I have been under a lot of stress- and that doesn't help-Need advice from members too. Pieta

#32380 - 12/17/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! You got good info from Linz, so I'll just add a few things:

1. The basis of the diet is soluble fiber - what foods you get that from are your choice. Brown rice and oatmeal are tolerable whole grains for many. Soluble fiber will help constipation, not hurt it. The two healthiest dietary cultures worldwide (Japan and the Mediterranean) have soluble fiber staples as their foundation (white rice, pasta/breads, polenta/cornmeal).

2. The diet is low fat, not very low fat. Big difference here. You're going to get between 20-30% of your calories from fat, which is a very healthy range. More importantly, your fats will be heart-healthy choices like avocados, olive and canola oils, fatty fish, ground nuts, flax oil, etc. You should definitely not be eating so low fat that you're prone to depression, or any other health problems. You shouldn't see your hair or skin become dry from too little oil in your diet, either. There's a huge difference between a healthy low fat diet and an extremely low fat diet, and there is no need with IBS to cross that line. Soluble fiber will allow you to add small amounts of healthy oils to all your meals.

3. Grains are not at all comparable to meat/dairy in terms of the acidification of the blood (which then requires the body to leach alkaline minerals, including calcium, from the bones). This does NOT happen from plant proteins, only from animal proteins. And this is actually a separate health issue from IBS. Meat and dairy are avoided in IBS because they are high fat and their proteins are very difficult to digest. They also have zero fiber. Grains are not high fat, their proteins are not difficult to digest, and they're terrific sources of soluble fiber (and, if whole grains, insoluble fiber as well) which will normalize gut function.

4. Wheat is a concern for IBS if it is WHOLE wheat, not refined wheat (as in white flour and white bread). Whole wheat contains bran, which is insoluble fiber, which can trigger attacks unless you eat it very carefully. If you're wheat allergic or intolerant, this is totally different from IBS, as is a gluten intolerance like celiac. If you haven't been tested for celiac, make sure that you are. If you know that you're not allergic to wheat, try adding plain fresh white bread or plain pasta into your diet. That will be IBS safe, so if you have problems that would point to wheat, period, as a food intolerance for you. You can also have BOTH food allergies, and/or celiac, and/or IBS. But they're different disorders.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#32486 - 12/17/03 03:45 PM
Shellsbells

Thanks Heather and others for the advice - it's very helpful.

Quite surprisingly, my GP doctor has been rather sympathetic. He diagnosed IBS straight away, but did test me for celiac and food allergies, which were both negative. So I'm gonna reintroduce white bread and oats to see how I go on.

His initial advice was (apart from reduce stress) soluble fibre supplements and plenty of water, which I (ashamedly) dismissed, thinking he was offering some type of harsh laxative.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to him asap for the supplements(will probably take about 3 weeks to see him at this time of year! The good old British NHS system - but I'm not complaining - it's cost free!!!)
Thanks again
Shellsbells

NHS new
      #32557 - 12/18/03 01:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Shell, I don't think you can get the supplements on the NHS. The only one available in this country is Fybogel sachets which are vailable from most chemists. BUT this can cause bloating and contains sweeteners, so it would probably be a better idea to order Acacia from Heather. However, Fybogel does help. Be warned - it takes a while to get used to this stuff. At first it's disgusting!

Do remember to drink plenty of water. This is great advice. I'm well impressed with your doctor. Getting any diet advice is cool.

Good luck! Send me an email if you want any other Brit-specific advice.

Linz

#349336 - 08/23/09 09:35 AM
Penney

Reged: 08/21/09

Is flaxseed ok?

I am suspicious that I might have a problem with wheat so I have been trying brown rice pasta (made only from brown rice). Should that be tolerable? I have also been using gluten free wheat free white rice bread with flaxseed. (Also, without flaxseed). Do any of these sound like bad choices?

Thank you!

--------------------
IBS-C, GERD, Lactose Intolerant, "Allergic" to Legumes (Soy!), Tree Nuts.

#349403 - 08/24/09 06:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The pasta is fine. My guess is you are fine with that bread too. Flax mixed with a SF for someone with C should be ok IMHO.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5762 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3103

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review