All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
timing of taking tummy tamers
      #319146 - 11/19/07 07:04 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I just got my bottle of tummy tamers today and I was wondering if everyone follows the directions on the bottle exactly (1 to 3 pills daily one hour before meals). I wanted to try them before dinner tonight but I didn't have a whole hour so I took one anyway. Does anyone take them right before eating? Will that really hamper how they work? I'm going to try hard to start on schedule tomorrow but I was just wondering if I ever forget (which I know I will,esp. when out) if they will still work. Thanks.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: timing of taking tummy tamers new
      #319235 - 11/20/07 04:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

What's most important is that you take them on an empty stomach. You can play around with waiting an hour before you eat (best for people prone to heartburn) or try one right before a meal (I strongly prefer it that way).

Start with one a day - they're very potent - and then see if you need to go up to 2 or 3.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather and... new
      #319272 - 11/21/07 08:53 AM
line415

Glad to hear that you can take one right before a meal, as that is when it will be most convenient for me to remember. For example, I was ready to eat something today (and hungry!) but I hadn't taken the tummy tamer so I took one and waited patiently for some time to pass before eating. Technically I was diagnosed with gastritis and I was on Nexium for a year, but I no longer take it and I've been fine since on your diet. I did have some mild "peppermint feeling" yesterday when I took one awile after I ate. I had bad gas so I thought I'd try it. Are they really most effective as preventative but not after the gas has started? Will they not help at all later on? I do think I felt a difference but it's too early to say. Thank you!!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Heather and... new
      #319281 - 11/21/07 09:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

They are better as a preventative because of the empty stomach requirement. Also, they take some time to get out of your stomach and reach your intestines where they dissolve, so that's a waiting period.

For when you need help NOW, use the teas. For gas and bloating, try the fennel. For pain and spasms, go with peppermint.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#319322 - 11/21/07 05:36 PM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I really want to try these (have had a bottle sitting in its wrapping for over a month now) but I have GERD and am wary of it. But since I have the next 4 days off, I was going to give it a test-trial run. Anyway, my big question when I should take them. I am on Prevacid for my reflux, and take that usually 45 minutes before eating. Should I take the caplet before I take my Prevacid or after??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Re: Thanks Heather and... new
      #319327 - 11/21/07 06:10 PM
line415

Thanks again Heather. Maybe it was a fluke but the gas problem was sooo much better today. I took one tummy tamer about 20 minutes before lunch and had some gas but it quickly went away and then I was fine ALL DAY!! I took one right before dinner and so far so good. I know I'm probably jumping the gun getting excited that they are a cure all, but I'll take whatever improvement I can get! I actually got a facial this afternoon (stress-free) not worrying about embarrassing gas at the place. I thought I'd just mention in the spirit of the holiday that on this Thanksgiving, I am sooo thankful (as many of us are) that I found this site and all your knowledge and empathy for others suffering like you.

--------------------

#319340 - 11/22/07 06:01 AM
auntdebs318

Reged: 10/18/07
Loc: Yardley, Pa

I would love to know how it agree's with you. I also have GERD and was afraid it would bother me. Goos luck and please keep me posted.

--------------------
IBS-C gas, bloating and acid reflux

Babies is the plan for 2008!!Hope this IBS cooperates.

so far so good new
      #319399 - 11/23/07 08:59 PM
line415

I have been taking the tummy tamers for ?? 3-4 days now and so far so good. I have had minimal "heartburn" which really isn't heartburn just a mild sensation in my chest. But that hasn't been every time. Majority of the times I take it, I feel fine. And it could be coincidence, but I really have been feeling better in regards to gas. For example, Wed. was a relatively good day considering that the gas is usually horrendous by midday. Then yesterday for Thanksgiving, I took one before breakfast and ate safely, then took one tummy tamer along with two GasStop before an UNSAFE Thanksgiving meal (yes, call me weak). To my astonishment, I had extremely minimal gas all last night. However, this morning I had a lot of gas and then had a few bms which I totally chalk up to going off the diet. I ate safe today and took three tummy tamers (spread out) for the first time. Again, no gas tonight!!! Hooray We'll see what happens tomorrow but I'm hopeful. (I should mention that I have avoided direct "fructose" ie., watermelon, ketchup, etc. but I'm sure it was in some of that Thanksgiving feast) I have not been consistent with completely avoiding wheat or gluten yet. I am going to continue avoiding the fructose for now and taking the tummy tamers for about another week and see how it goes. I say give them a try. Heather should sell them in single bottles just in case people like us might not tolerate them well. Then you wouldn't have extras if they bothered you. I'll keep you posted.

--------------------

how long do the tummy tamers last in your system? new
      #319821 - 11/30/07 01:14 PM
line415

Okay, I think I'm finding SOME relief from the tummy tamers but I'm still fiddling with when to take them. I usually try to take one while I'm preparing dinner but other times it is right before my first bite. My question is about how long they last in your system b/c the bottle says to take them up to three times/day so what about snacks? I have tried to take one before breakfast but I got heartburn so I stopped that and I'll take one before a morning snack. But then at lunch time (only an hour or so later), should I take another one? Of course my bigger meals are lunch and dinner, but then I get concerned about not taking one before a snack like fruit which I'm being aware of lately as causing bloat due to the fructose? Any suggestions? Is three the maximum you can take per day? Thanks

--------------------

bump and... new
      #320103 - 12/05/07 11:43 AM
line415

If anyone can respond to the "how long do tummy tamers last..." post, please do. Also, how come sometimes they give me heartburn and sometimes they don't? Does it have to do with the way I swallow them with water? Sometimes I think the water might be too cold. Or if I eat right afterwards, will that dissolve the enteric coating too soon?

--------------------

Re: bump and... new
      #320121 - 12/05/07 02:33 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I think they can break sometimes. I noticed one was broken in my bottle. I've also experienced not really a heartburn but a peppermint sensation in my throat once but not the other two times I took one. So maybe it simply broke so that the oils escaped.

/Ulrika

Thanks Ulrika. n/t new
      #320287 - 12/08/07 05:57 PM
line415

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2611 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3042

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review