All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone NOT having success with this diet?
      #318863 - 11/16/07 03:27 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Hi everyone. I am new to the message boards but not new to this site, and certainly not new to IBS. I am 29 years old, diagnosed with IBS when I was 17, but have memories of IBS-related problems since at least the age of 14, if not before. I could post my life story here, but I'll stick to the basics - my main problems are D, with occasional C, and I used to get AWFUL bloating and gas, but have recently (miraculously) fixed that simply by cutting non-rice breakfast cereals from my diet altogether.

After debating trying this diet for probably over two years now (I am a HUGE lover of dairy), I finally decided to give it a try. I started on Monday, and Wednesday evening I had a horrible attack of D - just out of the blue. Thursday I was fine, and then nearly all day today I've had intermittent attacks of D-like cramps, but no D. Frankly my confidence in this diet is already shaken.

Has anyone else had this experience when starting out with the diet? Or can anyone offer some advice? Do I need to provide more info?

TIA and sorry so long...

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone NOT having success with this diet? new
      #318864 - 11/16/07 03:37 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Give it a longer try then 5 days. Giving up something you love is really hard but soon enough it will seem normal to you NOT to be eating dairy. There is a substituion for most. Keep at it.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#318866 - 11/16/07 04:34 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06

Many have been helped with this diet. I think it is too early to tell. Give it a fair try. For me, this diet didn't help. I found the only thing that helped me get well again was to eliminate refined/processed sugar and limit my grains for awhile. Have you ever been on antibiotics?-even when you were younger? If so, this diet may not help you. You may have a fungal/yeast condition that needs to be addressed. You may want to experiment with an antifungal program (Basically eliminating processed sugar/grains/yeast for awhile) if you are finding this diet doesn't work for you. It was the only thing that helped me, and even now I need to monitor my sugar/grain/yeast intake. Do you have pasta/bread/or sugar cravings? Could be an indicator of fungal overgrowth. Don't give up though. 5 days is too early to tell with any change in diet.

#318872 - 11/16/07 05:29 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Kim, how did you find out about the infection? Is this something a test for SIBO or Candida would show?
And what about your diet, do you basically follow the candida diet? Or are you not as strict?
I used to take a lot of antibiotics when I was a little kid but all my recent tests were normal. Are you a c or a d?

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318890 - 11/16/07 07:55 PM
kim123

Well, I didn't know for sure when I actually tried an antifungal diet. I experimented after learning antibiotic use/birth control use could cause a fungal overgrowth. I had no preconceived ideas about fungus/yeast being a problem for me. I really didn't think this antifungal thing would make a difference for me. Why wouldn't my doctor have told me about it, if there was truth to it!? No common test that you have done in the doctor's office will pick it up. I had many tests done and all my doctors told me changing my diet would not help.The only way is to experiment with an antifungal diet. Pretty well eliminating all refined/processed sugar(all processed foods), all yeast/grains and most dairy. I ate from a variety of all the veggies I could eat,except corn (universally contaminated with fungus), no mushrooms and no potatoes(too high starch/sugar), ate all berries(strawberries,raspberries, blueberries, etc.), all meat/poultry/fish allowed, absolutely no grains (commonly contaminated with fungal poisons)for awhile, no dairy except whole plain yogurt,butter, sour cream and occasionally cream cheese. It is very similar to the candida diet, I think. Not sure exactly, but this diet is to starve the fungus/yeast. I'll bet you will notice improvement within a few weeks, if not days after trying it. Caution however, you may feel worse before feeling better during the initial die-off period of fungus/yeast.This may last a few days and usually happens within the first week of the diet. I felt miserable when I first went on the diet, but that was a sign it was a fungal problem, so I didn't mind finally knwoing what was wrong with me. I have heard of others with IBS who have found the same relief after following such a diet. The only way to know for sure is to experiement. Doctors will tell you changing your diet won't make a difference or only eat what doesn't seem to bother you. What used to bother me, before my bowel flora got re-establised, I can now eat with no problem...raw veggies, salad, etc. I also take natural antifungals and probiotics. If you do want more info, email me and I'll be more specific on the diet. You can also check out www.knowthecause.com and read the FAQ section on the home page. Some info there. Fungus is a real deal. Not enough doctors know about it or are telling their patients about it. They are only schooled in handing out prescriptions. As for what I eat now, I eat pretty well anything I want, but am careful not to overdo the grains/sugar. I get D usually when I overindulge, rarely C.

#318892 - 11/17/07 12:13 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

I have had great success with the diet getting my BMs under control. I would be C for 3-4 days and then have a day of horribly painful D. It was an endless cycle that included nausea. I now have 1-2 BMs a day normally and was feeling pretty good. I was still in pain, but found out that my gallbladder was only functioning at 10% so just had it removed on Thursday which should elimate the pain and I might be able to add a few things back to my diet. It did take awhile for the diet to start working. Give it time. It can take up to a year or more for you to stabilize. You should start seeing a difference though soon. Experiment with the recipes on the board. I enjoyed lots of the muffin recipes for snacks and eat cream of rice cereal every morning with cinnamon sugar. If you are using soy you might want to try Rice or Almond milks instead. Soy can give you gas until you get used it. Good luck.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#318895 - 11/17/07 04:17 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Thank you both. I am going to try decrease my consumption of sugar immediately but I think I need to wait after the holidays to take a good shot at the diet. I'm already trying not to eat processed grains except for white flour so I will need to work on that a little as well.
I don't use soy products for that very reason, I believe that they make me worse off.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#318896 - 11/17/07 04:53 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

ABSOLUTELY this diet isn't working for me- In fact- w/ the high amt of carbs, and sugar content- it isn't goood at all- I agree with kim123- that this diet feeds sugar and that isn't good for people w/ bloating and gas at all.

#318934 - 11/17/07 11:55 AM
Erilyn

That's incredibly interesting. You know I tried the Atkins low-carb diet back in 2003 - did for a year. I never felt so good in my life - no gas, hardly any D, no C (except at the very beginning). But this diet is so anti-low-carb (Heather even says so herself), I always wondered how I did so well on such a high-fat, low carb diet when THIS is supposed to help IBS. I figured it was because my main triggers seem to be high insoluble fiber grains like bran, and fructose (fruit juice is like Drano to me), both of which are nearly eliminated on a low-carb diet.

I think I will try Heather's diet for another few weeks, and see what happens. I agree 5 days really isn't a fair shot.

Ugh, it's all so frustrating.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#319062 - 11/19/07 08:27 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I feel like the only one....but I am not alone. Guess it isn't appropriate to post that the diet hasn't worked. Just keep giving it more time...

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#319073 - 11/19/07 08:56 AM

Unregistered

I also agree that you need to give this diet more time. Have you started taking Acacia? That will def. help with your D - please give it more time!

#319079 - 11/19/07 09:03 AM
Erilyn

I've actually been taking Acacia for about a year. But not much - I'm only taking 1 1/2 tsp in the morning. I have this notion that any more will make the D worse, but I know it's not supposed to.

--------------------

#319088 - 11/19/07 10:14 AM

Unregistered

I am also IBS-D and the Acacia has never aggravated it. I would try to take another 1 1/2 tsp in the evening so you're taking it twice a day and gradually increase. I increased mine by 1/2 tsp every 2 weeks or so. I really think you'll notice a difference, give it a try, what else do you have to lose????

#319103 - 11/19/07 12:57 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm IBS-D and I'll have times occasionally when I'm stable but it doesn't last long. A couple of weeks max. I take acacia and the peppermint capsules and still have problems. It is very frustrating. I might try cutting out sugar to see if that helps. Arrgh!

Re: Candida new
      #319149 - 11/19/07 07:07 PM
JodieKG

Reged: 06/14/07

I'm having the same experience; finally have been told that I have a chronic yeast infection in my small intestines, probably have had for years and years and just got used to feeling sick. No doc ever spoke to me about candida albicans, intestinal permeability, and healing the gut, but now that I am down that path and approaching those problems, I can't believe how quickly things have improved for me.

Now I can look at "IBS" as a symptom, not a disease; something else is / was behind it all along and now I can address that. I have not eaten dairy or meat or high fat foods for years and I will remain so for my health anyway. But now I don't feel like a victim anymore; I'm over obsessing about fibre ratios; I'm finally getting answers, and learning the right questions at the same time!

And best of all, my disordered eating has been totally brought back under control by finally understanding my body better, and promising to look after it properly now.

#319229 - 11/20/07 03:30 PM
kim123

Jodie, I agree with you. I know for me, my symptoms were caused from a fungal/yeast problem. I wish more doctors were clued into this real problem. Instead, it took me 8 years of my own researching to figure it out. I believe IBS is a symptom of a fungal condition. My opinion. BTW, how did you finally figure it out for you?

#319253 - 11/21/07 03:42 AM
pieta8

Reged: 05/10/06

jodie- please please tell me - how did you get your diagnosis of yeast- blood test???I think that I may have that- but don't know who or how to go about finding out???Thanks

#319254 - 11/21/07 04:25 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I've got candida - it's an ongoing problem that I refused to believe in until more recently, I responded REALLY well to the anti candida diet, probiotics, healing the gut stuff too. My quality of life goes right down when I'm in the throws of the C, and find it really hard to try to convince non believers that I've got yeast in my gut, coz it's not recognised by doctors!!! Rubbish huh, being sent away from doctors surgeries only to be told to eat more fibre!!! I spent many a night in tears, feeling very alone, no one understanding or thinking I was just making it up!

I completely understand where you are so if you or anyone out there fancied a private chat about it, please do get in touch, I'd love to hear from anyone coz it's so lonely xxxhugsxxx

#319262 - 11/21/07 06:35 AM
welshsarah

Reged: 06/30/07
Loc: England, UK

Just been reading the posts on candida and sugar etc and it makes so much sense with my IBS symptoms! I always feel worse and really bloated, gassy and uncomfortable after having products containing sugar or fructose etc. And both my husband and myself have noticed that my symptoms get much worse when i eat sugary products. He's been trying to get me to stop eating sugary stuff for ages but i just right off what he's saying. Poor hubby! He may be right after all. That sucks though as i'm such a big fan of wine gums and fruit. Gosh, this IBS is such a difficult puzzle to solve!

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#319264 - 11/21/07 07:02 AM
kim123

The only way, (and quickest?)to know for sure I think, is to 'experiment' with changing your diet. Obviously, if you notice an improvement with symptoms, often within a week, you have found the cause. Doctors spend so much time trying to help with symptoms, handing out prescriptions. If only they would look for the cause. I would also recommend taking natural antifungals as well to speed the healing process, unless you get lucky enough to find a doctor willing to listen to your story, and prescribe nystatin. I took olive leaf extract and caprylic acid. After changing my diet (antifungal), and taking the supplements, I was so much better within 2 weeks. Now, as long as I moderate my intake of sugar and grains, I feel great!

#319266 - 11/21/07 07:26 AM
welshsarah

Hi Kim, i'm glad the diet's working out for you. I think i may give it a go but it sounds awfully limiting. Would you mind giving me an example of what you eat in a day when following this diet?

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

I must confess..... new
      #319275 - 11/21/07 09:10 AM
Erilyn

Just want to update everyone a little - when I started the diet last week, I was still cheating a little here and there (it's sooooo hard to give up dairy!!! and Diet Coke!!! and... well.... you get the picture....) So as of this past Monday I started following to the letter. NO CHEATS. I'm not doing myself any favours by not giving it a fair chance. I am on Day 3 now and already feeling a little better. So... yeah, there's my confession.

--------------------

We forgive you - everybody has been there, believe me. -nt- new
      #319280 - 11/21/07 09:47 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thanks... new
      #319289 - 11/21/07 12:12 PM
Erilyn

Thanks so much Heather. I figured I couldn't have been the only one to have toruble starting out. LOL. It's a pretty big change - my husband and I go through 4 litres of milk per week, a whopping 12 liters of Diet Coke/Pepsi per week, not to mention all the cheese, yogurt, and God knows what else....

But I haven't touched any of those things since Sunday!

--------------------

Re: Thanks... new
      #319291 - 11/21/07 12:26 PM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

You'll get there, trust me. I used to drink 4 cokes a day, glass of wine at night and smoked to boot. No wonder my tummy was such a mess. Lots of tears, but after awhile you pretty much lose the cravings and will feel so much better.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#319313 - 11/21/07 04:01 PM
kim123

Well, I will say that I do eat pretty well what I want now, except I try to minimize sugar as much as possible, and I have to stay away from yeast foods altogether. Has a tendency to bring on gas and loose BM's. So, as for what I was eating when I was strict on the diet...I would start the day with an omelette with whatever your body can tolerate to put in it, along with maybe bacon or sausage with no added sugar. I am not a big b'fast eater, so sometimes I would just have coffee, or V-8 juice. Lunch- salad (I couldn't tolerate it at the beginning) with chicken, salmon on top,other veggies on top, or chicken stir fry in olive oil with broccoli or any other veggies I could tolerate. Dinner-any meat/fish/poultry and any veggies(except corn, mushrooms and potato) I wanted. Fruits- any berries, green apples, avocados, lemons, limes, grapefruit, again only what your body will tolerate, especially at the beginning. Snacks- full fat plain organic yogurt with fresh or frozen berries sweetened with Stevia, carrot sticks, green apples,almonds, Or- I made a cheesecake with ground almond bottom. There was no corn or peanuts allowed(universally contaminated with mycotoxins, including aflatoxin B1-a carcinogen), or grains (again mycotoxins) of any kind for the first 2 weeks.After 2 weeks I reintroduced oats, millet, flaxseed, yeast free tortilla bread.

You are right when you say it is limiting, especially if you are used to eating on the run a lot of processed foods, but if it helps you feel better, it is not a sacrifice anymore, at least not for me. You even lose your cravings for the "forbidden" foods. I actually had to force myself to eat because I found I wasn't hungry all the time, like I usually am eating a lot of carbs.

If you do think you have a yeast/fungus problem, you have to starve it. You will know in a matter of weeks if you had a problem after all. Also, you may feel worse before you feel better. If you go on a lo-carb diet like this, you may experience a die-off effect....flu-like symptoms, achiness, tiredness, foggy brain, D, joint pain, etc. I had it all for about 3-4 days. I also took natural antifungals to speed the process. Still take them for maintenence. I also recommend probiotics to anyone, even those not experiencing IBS symptoms.

That's my story. Only you know if it is worth it to give it a try. The next 2 weeks will go by anyway, whether you try it or not. You will need to stay with the diet change longer than 2 weeks of course, but by that time, you should know if it is working for you, or not....if you don't stray from the diet that is
If you want further info, I guess you could email me directly so I don't keep taking up a lot of space here. Cheers..........

#319339 - 11/22/07 05:56 AM
welshsarah

Thanks for your reply Kim, that's really helpful. I think i may try the diet in the new year if things aren't improving. Thanks again

--------------------
Sarah
IBS-C

#326662 - 03/16/08 12:36 AM
ih8u

Reged: 02/15/08

do you have C? if so, how did you get a BM when you started the diet...? would something like zelnorm to help alleviate the C be bad? whenever i get C, i binge on carbs so if i dont have something that makes me go... the diet would be incredibly hard for me.

#326671 - 03/16/08 08:29 AM
kim123

No, I have a D tendency. Actually, yeast overgrowth can exhibit symptoms of C. I'm wondering if eating more fiber from grapefruit, berries and veggies would help you. I've read that psyllium hulls can help C. I take capsules of that now, and my bowel habits have improved dramatically since. Be careful if you have had any type of intestinal obstruction or had surgery for such, though. Contact your doctor first, if that pertains to you, before taking psyllium hulls. You may feel worse before feeling better on an antifungal diet, known as the "die-off". You have to give it time. It is not an overnight fix, but you should feel better within a few weeks. I would also recommend taking natural antifungals such as olive leaf extract or capryllic acid if your doctor won't prescribe an antifungal prescription (nystatin or diflucan). In my opinion, binging on carbs just perpetuates the problem. I think the key is to experiment and eliminate all sugar, grains and most dairy for awhile to see if it makes a difference. That was the only way I found out I had a fungus/yeast problem. Don't know much about Zelnorm to comment on that.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review