All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can taking peppermint capsules cause sore anus?
      #31822 - 12/14/03 04:40 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

I started taking enteric coated peppermint capsules last week and took them for 4 days (with reduced bloating and other good things). However, it is now very painful to pass a BM or to touch as the anus is very sensitive. I thought it may have been a fissure but I can't see anything. Haven't changed anything else in diet or lifestyle. Has anyone experienced this and will it go away now I've stopped taking the pills?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ack! It shouldn't... new
      #31838 - 12/14/03 05:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

How many were you taking? All I can think is that if you took too many, you may feel a bit of menthol sensation with a BM, and then you can just reduce your caps. But a general soreness should certainly not happen at all. I would stop the caps and anything else new that you've tried and wait for things to go back to normal. My guess is that this is a coincidence, but once you're back to stable try one cap a day and see what happens. If you have the weird soreness again then you'll know you're having some bizarre reaction and peppermint caps are not for you. Good news is I have not heard of this in general about the caps, or from anyone else, so odds are it's something else going on. But, always better to make sure so that you can be safe...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ack! It shouldn't... new
      #31844 - 12/14/03 06:14 PM
jo1978

Thanks Heather. I just looked at the fact sheet and it does say (in very small print) that "Peri-anal itching or burning has also been reported on occasion." Guess I'll just have to wait until it goes away. Bit of a bummer, they seemed to be quite helpful before they started burning! The product is an Australian one called "Mintec". Each enteric coated capsule contains 0.2mL Peppermint Oil. Is yours the same?

#31845 - 12/14/03 06:15 PM
jo1978

Oh, and I only took one a day - much less than the suggested 1 x 3 times.

#31863 - 12/15/03 12:01 AM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

hi

heather's caps have .2ml peppermint oil, .02 ginger oil and .02 fennel oil.

as someone who has had fissures and hemmes, i can tell you that sometimes they are not tangible...but can be really small or internal...which will cause itching, burning and everything you described. i also use tea tree oil, which is similar to the menthol feel of peppermint oil and can say that this is more of a relief than a problem. the tea tree is incredibly cooling to external issues like hemmes and fissures. however, sometimes excessive wiping from ibs symptoms can cause tenderness and irritation as well. if it's ibsd it could be the constant toilet trips or ibsc i would think that reexpanding the anus and pressure in intestines to make things hurt. i hope this makes sense. the only time the tea tree doesn't help is when i'm so raw it does burn, so that is the only way i could see that the peppermint oil could cause burning other than a natural reaction(in that small minority of people you mentioned).

you might want to talk to your dr about something to help with the burning or itching as it could be an internal problem you can't feel with your own hand. if you have any bleeding i'd put my money on a structural problem. also trying soaking in a warm tub of epsom salt and a creme with cortisone that is soothing and will help with inflammation.

please do keep us updated and i hope things line out for you. i have been feeling your pain for the past few weeks.

amy

Queenie has good info here... -nt- new
      #31966 - 12/15/03 01:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Amy, Heather - nt - new
      #31971 - 12/15/03 01:59 PM
jo1978

FYI - answer from manufacturer new
      #31988 - 12/15/03 03:05 PM
jo1978

Received this email today from the people who make Mintec:

Dear Jo,

I refer to your e-mail regarding Mintec and the unpleasant reaction you
have encountered with anal burning and itching. Unfortunately,
peppermint oil can cause such reactions in some sensitive individuals.
We would recommend you discontinue use and discuss treatment options
with your medical practitioner.

You may find a local anaesthetic product generally sold for
haemorrhoidal relief, such as Hemocane may help to relieve the itching
and burning sensation in the short term.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3993

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review