All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dysbiosis and Acacia Gum (Correct Forum?)
      #317987 - 11/05/07 12:54 PM
yeltom

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: Austin, TX

This is my first time posting, and I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but there doesn't seem to be a forum for miscellaneous questions... Anyway, first I was diagnosed (without any testing) as having IBS. Then I got tested and was told that the cause was parasites (giardia and cryptosporidium). Antiparasitic medication seemed to help for a while, but then symptoms returned. This time, I tested positive for Toxoplasma, and partly because of extremely low Secretory iGh and general bacterial and fungal overgowth, he gave me a diagnosis of Dysbiosis and prescribed colloidal silver. What I'm specifically wondering about is the prebiotic nature of acacia gum. If the diagnosis is dysbiosis as opposed to candidiasis, couldn't the prebiotic nature acacia make matters worse? My actual experience has been that it is helpful, but I'm supposed to go off PRObiotics while I'm taking the colloidal silver, and I'm wondering whether it also makes sense to go of PREbiotics. Can a prebiotic distinguish between friendly and unfriendly bacteria?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dysbiosis and Acacia Gum (Correct Forum?) new
      #318022 - 11/05/07 05:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - prebiotics work by creating short chain fatty acids in the gut, which then provide a hospitable environment for the healthy gut flora. I haven't ever seen any studies that would indicate they'd allow the proliferation of bad gut flora - they should do the opposite, actually, by increasing the good guys.

Why'd your doc tell you to stay away from probiotics during treatment?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Dysbiosis and Acacia Gum (Correct Forum?) new
      #318081 - 11/06/07 01:32 PM
yeltom

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: Austin, TX

The doctor gave me the dysbiosis diagnosis and prescribed colloidal silver. I'm an obsessive researcher, so I started researching dysbiosis and colloidal silver. Someone recommended avoiding PRObiotics while on colloidal silver (for reasons I don't understand/can't remember), so I started wondering about the effect of PREbiotics. I came across a few links that recommended avoiding excessive soluble fiber in certain types of dysbiosis. Check out web page. Toward the end of the article, there is a section (8) about fiber. Also see the 3rd paragraph of the last section ofweb page. Obviously there's a lot of conflicting information, and your website doesn't deal with dysbiosis per se, but some people think that dysbiosis and IBS are linked. Thanks for the response.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1539

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review