All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
coffee
      #311723 - 07/21/07 02:35 PM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

hi, I wanted to ask, if anyone knows, how to substitute coffee if there are any alternatives or is it just better to completely stop drinking coffee?? I would be grateful for any ideas. And also, is dairy free chocolate safe, or chocolate is completely banned. Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I can't help with coffee subsitutes, but I can help with chocolate (m) new
      #311728 - 07/21/07 04:20 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There are substitutes for coffee but since I'm not a coffee drinker I'm not sure what they are.

As for chocolate, however, chocolate is absolutely allowed. As you mentioned you need to be sure it's dairy-free (so most candy bars are out) and you also need to watch the fat content. There are a number of chocolate recipes in the Recipe Index and Newsletter Archives like:

Anti-Depressant Brownies

Cockeyed Cake

Ultimate Chocolate Pudding Brownies

Enjoy!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: coffee new
      #311730 - 07/21/07 09:38 PM
chitchat1

Reged: 05/09/07
Loc: Michigan

I know of two coffee substitutes, that look like coffee and taste similar..Caffix and Pero. I use Pero all the time, you can find them in HFS. Pero is made from Barley and Rye.
Hope this helps.

Re: I can't help with coffee subsitutes, but I can help with chocolate (m) new
      #311736 - 07/22/07 06:16 AM
zuzanka23

Reged: 07/20/07
Loc: UK

thanks a lot for your ideas, i didnt really expect anyone to answer me so im really grateful. the thing is, i dont have any ideas where health food stores are, i live in small town, but i will have a look online tonight. How much fat content in dairy free chocolate is allowed?? thanks you very much

#311738 - 07/22/07 07:35 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

A couple more alternatives is Soyfee, and Teechino. Don't know if I spelled Teechino right. You might want to do a board search because it's been discussed before.

Percent of fat in chocolate new
      #311747 - 07/22/07 12:25 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Heather's guidelines say no more than 25% of calories from fat. I'd be surprised if you can find a candy bar with a fat percent that low, but maybe. You can go higher in a chocolate bar or piece of chocolate candy if you're eating it as dessert after a low-fat, high SF meal. So if you have a low-fat lunch you can have a piece of chocolate for dessert afterward.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#311754 - 07/22/07 02:57 PM
sun

Reged: 11/26/06

i really like the dark roast pero..i brew a tsp w/ about 3/4 cup water ..i try to make it strong and put warmed vanillla rice milk in it...it's pretty good.
http://www.internaturalfoods.com/Pero/Pero.html

--------------------
ibs-c,gerd,small hiatal hernia ...thank you for the board and for helping me with my questions.<3

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 857 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review