All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Prebiotics...A Waste of Money?
      #309264 - 06/17/07 11:01 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Does anybody else find that prebiotics and perhaps probiotics are a waste of money?

When I almost two years ago started taking Benefiber powder, I never felt better than I did the first couple of days.
My stomach was emptying at a record pace, clearing up my c.

However within a few weeks, while my stomach didn't regress, the relief started to diminsh.
I didn't feel that great anymore and it seemed to have been a big boost only short term.

Since then I have added prescription Miralax and Acidphillus Probiotic.

I also tried Heather's Acadia.
I don't really feel anything substantial.
It feels as if, taking a prebiotic at first helps a ton, but then the body gets used to it, adjusts, and it's losses it's effectiveness.
It's like if I stop now my C might get worse, but if I continue it's not likely to improve.
The prebiotic seems to only help noticably at first after which it appears to just keep things from getting much worse, which even now isn't suceeding.

I wanted to know if others have had this experience and if you can suggest anything.
I have thought about switching, but to what?
I tried Citrucell and Acadia, both of which were no different, less if anything effective than Benefiber.

I could increase the does, I take two utensial NOT tablespoon spoons per day.
However that could be counterproductive or if helpful, last short term.

I'm getting frustrated spending time, effort, and my money on products which give mixed at best results.
I don't want to quit in a fit of rage and hurt myself yet I don't want to needlsy invest.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Prebiotics...A Waste of Money? new
      #309278 - 06/18/07 07:18 AM
bbgem1

Reged: 11/27/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

Yes and I can totally relate to what you are going through with your IBS-C!

#309285 - 06/18/07 08:30 AM
Naturapanic

Which part, prebiotics NOT working or working short term than failing?

See I'm confused, part of me wonders if I should raise the doesage.

The other part of me wonders if I should switch prebiotic brands and doseages, and if doing so would allow each brand, dose to give my body different variety and thus a boost.

The other part wonders if I should just drop it altogether.

Again it's effective at first then hardly noticable.
I'd hate to waste money but hate to hurt myself again.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309289 - 06/18/07 08:47 AM
bbgem1

I could relate to everything you shared about your experience. I haven't had much success with anything including prebiotics working long term with my IBS-C. I'm beginning to believe it is the nature of this illness. That being said I still take prebiotics daily.

#309306 - 06/18/07 11:42 AM
Naturapanic

I thought the nature of the illness was such prebiotics would help long term....that's what Heather stated.
If it doesn't...why spend the money?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309336 - 06/18/07 07:59 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

A prebiotic actaully feeds the probiotics, I don't believe it has another roll in your body. Probiotics help restore the flora in your GI system. The ones you are taking might not be strong enough. Not everyone relates to a certain type of probiotics, plus it's better if there are different strains of (good) bacteria in the one you take. You could try Bio-K Plus or Primal Defence since some people have had some good results with them.

#309339 - 06/18/07 11:42 PM
Naturapanic

Bio K plus or Primal Defence, never heard of them before.
Does Heather recommened, and what is the difference between that and Benefiber/Citrucell/Acadia?
What does this have to help?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309382 - 06/19/07 04:13 PM
Gracie

Heather recommends probiotics, she doesn't recommend a specific brand. Each person is different so a probiotic that works well for one person, might not be so great for the next person. Benefibre, Citrucell, and Acacia are fibre supplements, they are NOT probiotics.
Acacia is a PREbiotic, and they feed the PRObiotic.

#309397 - 06/19/07 08:27 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I improve for about a week then I regress. Nothing seems to work for any amount of time, and I feel it is all related to stress. If I can get a handle on that, I will improve. I just finished a second round of the hypnotherapy and plan on a third round in about a month.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#309400 - 06/19/07 10:03 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Heather recommends probiotics, she doesn't recommend a specific brand. Each person is different so a probiotic that works well for one person, might not be so great for the next person. Benefibre, Citrucell, and Acacia are fibre supplements, they are NOT probiotics.
Acacia is a PREbiotic, and they feed the PRObiotic.

I see.
I was under the impression, perhaps I misread, that you take Acadia IN PLACE of Benefiber.
Are you stating you can take both CONCURRENTLY?

When I took Acadia, I discontinued Benefiber and felt no real improvement.
I'm wondering if I should restart Acadia and do it with Benefiber and Acidophillus; or just switch to one of those other brands you mentioned.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309401 - 06/19/07 10:04 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I can definitely relate to what you are saying. I improve for about a week then I regress. Nothing seems to work for any amount of time, and I feel it is all related to stress. If I can get a handle on that, I will improve. I just finished a second round of the hypnotherapy and plan on a third round in about a month.

Has hypnosis worked for you?
Doctors have told me food is not the cause, it only exaberates my symptoms; likely stress/anxiety is why this began.
I am a very anxious person.
I obsess on this daily, I touch my stomach and lift my shirt 100 times a day, and always were long sleeves.
I just wonder if maybe I should try them out.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309419 - 06/20/07 07:06 AM
ECM

I too am a very anxious person. I worry about everything. I feel the hypnotherapy tapes have helped. With each round, I have noticed a slight improvement with my mental attitude. When I first purchsed the tapes, I thought this was going to be the "magic pill". All my symptons would disappear. They did not, but I did notice an improvement with my attitude about the IBS. What encouraged me to continue with the tapes is Marilyn's story, and how it took her 3 or 4 rounds to see any success. Check out her story on the Hypno Board and other's like her. I will get a handle on this thing called IBS. There are times I get very discouraged, but I read post from Atomic Rose and Hohoyumyum and I feel there is hope. Thank you to all that are stable and continue to post here and help & encourage those of us who are not there yet.

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#309420 - 06/20/07 07:07 AM
ElenaDragon

Reged: 06/04/07

I am confused. Are you talking about the "Acacia" powder sold on this site or is "Acadia" something else? I take Acacia in place of another fiber supplement. It is both a prebiotic AND a soluble fiber supplement. I don't know if it has helped me as a prebiotic, but it has certainly helped me as a fiber supplement and does not give me gas like some of the others do.

--------------------
Lisa
IBS-A, Interstitial Cystitis, Migraines

#309423 - 06/20/07 09:28 AM
bbgem1

Where can you get Bio-K plus or Primal Defence?

#309424 - 06/20/07 09:32 AM
bbgem1

I too get very discouraged Where can I find the post from Atomic Rose? HoHoYumYum?

#309427 - 06/20/07 11:44 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I am confused. Are you talking about the "Acacia" powder sold on this site or is "Acadia" something else? I take Acacia in place of another fiber supplement. It is both a prebiotic AND a soluble fiber supplement. I don't know if it has helped me as a prebiotic, but it has certainly helped me as a fiber supplement and does not give me gas like some of the others do.

I took Acadia in place of Benefiber, and saw no improvement.
The brand was Heather's.
I found this quite discouraging since it is raved on so frequently.

Quote:

Where can you get Bio-K plus or Primal Defence?

Yes, I too would like to know where.

Quote:

I too get very discouraged Where can I find the post from Atomic Rose? HoHoYumYum?

Yea, were?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#309434 - 06/20/07 12:19 PM
santino75

Reged: 05/30/07

Hey,
You said you it yourself, youre a very anxious person and you obsess about this daily. So you already know where your problem lies: It has nothing to do with pre-biotics or pro-biotics. And Im not entirely convinced that hypnotherapy tapes are the answer either, you could always try them see what happens. But I dont know if youre looking in the right place for answers. What do you do in your life? What I mean by that is, are you allowing yourself too much time to obsess?
Tennyson said: "Keep busy. The worried person must lose himself in action, lest he wither in despair"
Please dont waste any more time obsessing about taking supplements.

Just for clarity, it's Acacia with a "c" - there is no such thing as Acadia. - nt- new
      #309457 - 06/20/07 03:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I'd second this, and would urge her to try hypnotherapy to break this cycle. -nt- new
      #309458 - 06/20/07 03:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#309463 - 06/20/07 04:09 PM
ECM

In answer to your questions.
I have seen Primal Defense in my local HFS.

If you want to read posts by a particular person, click on their screen name, then in the right hand lower corner of their profile, click on all user post. You can then see what they have posted in the past.
There are many posters that are stable, and are here to help and encourage those of us that are not stable. I just mentioned atomic rose and hohoyumyum because they were the first to come to mind. I enjoy reading Syl's post too!!

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#309464 - 06/20/07 04:38 PM
Gracie

A Health food store should have it.

Prebiotics -- Probiotics - IBS - C -- new
      #311373 - 07/17/07 07:48 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I am also IBS - C. It is my understanding that you should take a prebiotic, like Acacia (which is a fiber supplement) and then you would take a probiotic like Primal Difense, Bio K Plus or Acidopholus pills in addition to the prebiotic (Acacia). You would not take say Benefiber and Acacia, one or the other. I also have found that a little of Acacia fiber goes a long way, meaning that 1 tsp is more beneficial than the 2 Tbls of Benefiber that I was taking.

I am having a terrible bought of IBS - C right now and understand the struggle. I at times wonder if all the expense is helping as I still need to be careful of what I am eating. But, I also have been told by our "Health Hut" that it can take 3 months for everything to start working together correctly and then you can possibly cheat during your good times but I unfortunatley abuse it and end up like I am now And that is why I keep taking my probiotic and prebiotic -- I am not stable yet. Hope this helps a little.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3079 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4549

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review