Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused over Peppermint Tea or Fennel... new
      #308173 - 05/30/07 06:59 PM
virag

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Florida

Hi,
I have been using the peppermint tea now for a few months and find it wonderful. However I am not sure if the fennel wouldn't be better. My problem is gas w/bloating that often produces quite alot of pain, even into my back.
Can someone tell me what each tea addresses specifically because they both seem to work with this problem..thanks, Virag:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused over Peppermint Tea or Fennel... new
      #308181 - 05/30/07 07:52 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Here's a link to Heather's info about peppermint and fennel teas. Hope it helps! Teas

#308188 - 05/30/07 08:23 PM
virag

Hi,
Well I had read the page and others here about the two teas. So I should assume that the teas both do about the same thing...it's just a matter of preference of taste then?
Virag

Re: Confused over Peppermint Tea or Fennel...
      #308190 - 05/30/07 09:25 PM
lalala

Yes, both are about the same, but peppermint tea is a stronger anti-spasmodic/pain reliever than fennel. Fennel works better as an anti-gas treatment (it's a carminative which means it helps to expel gas). Both aid with digestion, so they're good to have after a meal. If you have GERD or acid reflux, it's best to avoid peppermint tea. HTH!

#308191 - 05/30/07 09:26 PM
lalala

Rereading your original post, it sounds like you're having trapped gas problems (which would cause pain in other areas), so I'd try the fennel tea first and see if that helps.

#308204 - 05/31/07 08:07 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I have a question which has been bothering me for some time. I drink peppermint tea and fennel tea, but I have found that if I have a lot of trapped gas, fennel in particular seems to make it worse, in the sense that I feel even more bloated and nauseous. I am now wondering if this is because the fennel is having its carminative effect, but the gas is having difficulty escaping. I have bowel adhesions and suspected endometriosis (more adhesions!), plus a large loop of redundant colon, and at times I think this causes partial obstructions and constrictions. When this is happening, it is almost impossible to expel gas downwards, and I get a lot of gas upwards, which makes me nauseous. So - is this why, when I am having a bad trapped gas day, fennel (and peppermint) actually makes it worse? Can anyone explain the science of how fennel gets rid of gas - does it break it into smaller bubbles, or does try it push it along and out?

How fennel works new
      #308211 - 05/31/07 08:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps this posting about Fennel might be helpful.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

RIO(adhesions) Re: Confused over Peppermint Tea or Fennel... new
      #308215 - 05/31/07 08:53 AM
virag

Hi Rio,
I have adhesions as well and believe after all these years(10) that they are having a major impact on my ability to pass gas, etc. I believe that the gas does get trapped and therefore becomes extremely painful involving my lower back, almost close to childbirth back pain.
The area would be about 3" above the tailbone and going left and right in spasms.

Also I have a hiatal hernia so not sure if the peppermint is right for me. But if the fennel is a problem for those with trapped gas, what do we do?
Thanks for all the replies....Virag:)

Thanks Syl! -nt- new
      #308220 - 05/31/07 09:15 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: RIO(adhesions) Re: Confused over Peppermint Tea or Fennel... new
      #308232 - 05/31/07 12:01 PM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

Hi viraq - so you have adhesions too? Then you obviously know the kind of pains I am describing. Trapped gas can be SO painful - it's fine as long as it is moving. I do try to exercise gently and move around after eating, but sometimes it feels as if my bowel is all tight and knotty anyway with the IBS and there's nothing I can do about it, except lie down with a very hot heat pack.

Thanks for the info on fennel, Syl. It makes sense in that I didn't realise it actually prevented gas forming - so perhaps I need to drink it (or chew seeds) between and before meals instead, to stop the gas building up. I had been drinking it after meals. And I do actually like the taste!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1928

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review