All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Went To A Naturopath
      #304876 - 04/13/07 03:52 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

she told me i need to cut out all sugar and flour products from my diet to treat my IBS because i have candida overgrowth in my intestine..i hardly eat refined processed foods but its gonna be next to impossible to cut out sugar and bread from my diet. is all this really necessary?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Went To A Naturopath new
      #304878 - 04/13/07 04:51 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Well, that is probably because grains and sugar feed yeast/fungus, so yes...unfortunately you will have to be on a strict elimination diet of no sugar and grains if you want to starve the fungus. Did the doctor also mention taking natural antifungals (olive leaf extract or caprylic acid) as well? They will help eradicate any yeast/fungus in your system. The upside is, if you do have a yeast/fungal problem, you should start feeling better within days, but only if you stick to the diet change. What is your usual diet now? Can you eat veggies (raw or cooked), meat, fish, poultry, eggs?

You can read more on candida yeast and its link to bowel problems in the links below...

http://www.fungusfocus.com/html/candida_diet.htm

http://www.fungusfocus.com/html/candida_info2.htm

#304879 - 04/13/07 04:56 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

You can (and should) be tested for candida overgrowth before having to resort to drastically changing your diet. Ask your doctor to do a candida test if you haven't had one already.

--------------------
Kat

Re: I'm still having a hard time buying into it new
      #304880 - 04/13/07 05:20 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

there are no published scientific reports stating that candida can proliferate in the bowel and naturopathic docs are making a fortune off of this whole candida thing. i heard the only people who are susceptible to candida are those with compromised immune systems. i dont know who to believe

#304895 - 04/13/07 08:19 PM
kim123

Were you actually 'tested' for yeast overgrowth? If you test positive, you may also ask your doctor about a prescription for nystatin, an antifungal. There are many research articles that tell about candida proliferating and even perforating the bowel. They have also shown antifungal programs have helped patients with these problems. Without an official diagnosis, I suppose one could eliminate the yeast feeding foods and see if it helped the symptoms. You would then know the cause...Bottom line, you want to get well again. What are you willing to try to get there?

#304896 - 04/13/07 08:31 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

isnt nystatin a super strong drug that can cause liver damage? I had a blood test for candida 3 yrs ago and it was negative...does that count?

#304899 - 04/13/07 09:17 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I just asked my doctor about this today; I actually DO have a yeast infection (yay for diflucan...), and have no idea what caused it. Anyway, she told me they didn't have a way of testing for Candida (I use Kaiser Permanente). I asked about doing some sort of "culture". She said they can take a stool sample and culture it, but Candida is extremely hard to culture.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304910 - 04/14/07 07:07 AM
kim123

No, I think you're thinking of diflucan. Nystatin is not absorbed into the bloodstream. Myself, I like the natural supplements like olive leaf extract or caprylic acid. They can do the same thing. You can't always "see" yeast in a blood test. I had many gastro related problems, and it was only after following an antifungal program for a while that I got well again. Everyone has a different experience.

#304915 - 04/14/07 07:36 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

what kind of candida test did u have? even the stool cultures arent reliable cause candida naturally proliferates in everyones gut and its randomly distributed so for each BM you're not getting a consistent specimen. is it imperative to cut out all sugar and carbs? seriously, with my lifestyle i cant afford to loose weight and be on a prolonged diet. so nystatin isnt absorbed? are there side effects?

#305099 - 04/16/07 12:04 PM
juls68

Reged: 04/13/07
Loc: Brigham City, UT

I had a yeast infection for about a year and a half (total hell!) I have had every anti fungal med they make with no relief. I had it so bad that I would get rashes on my body and in my mouth. My husband and I both had to get shots the same day thinking that maybe we were passing it back and forth. That didn't work either. I finally found the diet for candidia and it worked within 3 days. Stay on it the whole 11 days they recommend and also take multidopholis and make sure they are the live ones you buy from the fridge at your local health food store. I still have to take them everyday or I start getting symptoms back. But I swear by the diet. Good luck to you though!!!!

#305216 - 04/17/07 12:36 PM
kimberlyj

Reged: 12/11/06
Loc: Tampa, Florida

I had yeast in my esophagus, diagnosed by an upper endoscopy my GI did. I was given nystatin for 5 days. This was end of September 2006. Right after that, symptoms of IBS, which I have not had a problem with for 8 years or so, started with a passion. Does anyone think there is a connection? I cant figure out why this started again. I have been better since I started the diet but have been suffering for 6 and half months with only breaks of 4-5 days of being stable. This seems weird to me. Anybody?

--------------------
IBS-C bloating and gas predominant.

Important to note there is NO known connection between IBS and candida new
      #305217 - 04/17/07 01:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and people have been looking for one for decades.

Make sure you've got a solid diagnosis - IBS, candida, or both. But IBS does not automatically equal candida at all.

There's full diagnostic info here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Important to note there is NO known connection between IBS and candida new
      #305229 - 04/17/07 03:14 PM
kim123

You're right...there is no KNOWN connection, but it is POSSIBLE...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15647635&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

#305244 - 04/17/07 05:49 PM
gaptron2

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: Pennsylvania

About 4-5 yrs ago when I first started having cramping and diarrhea I went to a gastroenterologist, homoeopathist, and finally a naturopath. I tested positive (stool) several times for Candida overgrowth. I decided to go on a South Beach Diet at that time to loose some weight and also cut out much of the carbs that could cause the yeast-related fermentation. My naturopath also put me on several rounds of sporonox to kill off the overgrowth. The treatments were very effective.

Currently, I find myself with still some residual IBS-looking symptoms and I have been trying to cut out much of the fat and carbs, eating more balanced. I haven't quite figured out my trigger foods. Every few months I take a natural fungal-killing agent(just to make sure) and I also use the Tummy fiber and Tummy tamer capsules.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3369

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review