All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PMS and IBS
      #303762 - 04/02/07 09:18 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Every month about 1 week before my period the constipation gets worse, bloating, gas, spasms, you know the game.....any suggestions. Do I just need to follow the diet closer during this time. Also, for those of you who take probiotics and digestive enzymes have you found that if you increase your dosgaes arounds this time it helps alleviate problems? Also should I be increasing my acacia tummy fiber during this time? I know a lot of questions.... THANKS!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PMS and IBS new
      #303767 - 04/02/07 10:31 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Are you on a birth control pill? I had the same symptoms/problems as you until I began taking a monophasic BC pill constantly, skipping the placebos. I haven't had a period in over a year, and I feel MUCH better. No more hormone-induced IBS problems (or menstrual migraines!).

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#303770 - 04/02/07 10:34 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I am not. I have always heard that you should not stay on them when you get older, is that still correct?

#303771 - 04/02/07 10:37 AM
Lisa Marie

Can you define "older"? I have not heard that before.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: PMS and IBS *DELETED* new
      #303802 - 04/02/07 03:27 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

Post deleted by Heather

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Where on earth did you get THAT from? new
      #303806 - 04/02/07 04:04 PM
Lisa Marie

I'd like to see your source for that information. Please refrain from posting false information like this. I understand you are religiously opposed to birth control, but there is no evidence to support the outrageous claims you're making. Besides, birth control can be used for several reasons other than just preventing pregnancy.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#303810 - 04/02/07 04:24 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Older women who have a high risk of breast cancer or high blood pressure are sometimes told not to take birth control pills. My mom has been taking them for 5+ years to deal with a bad period and having no problems (she's 50 now).

Another option that some doctors prefer for older women is an Intra Uterine Device (IUD) like Nuva Ring. The dose of hormones is so small that it doesn't pose as high of a risk as BC pills. This should also stop periods.

As for how long to stay on BC pills, every doctor I've talked to says stay on them until you have kids, and after kids decide what is best for you.

--------------------
Kat

#303811 - 04/02/07 04:29 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

A long time ago I was like that too, constipation before, severe D once my period started. At the time I thought it was just my period and didn't know what to do, so I'm not sure about advice to give. I handle my period now by taking BC pills piggy-backed (skipping periods).

I would suggest incorporating more IF in the days leading up to it, and drink a ton of water. Vigorous exercise beforehand can help the C, bloating, gas and PMS symptoms so definetly do lots of that. If you are prone to D during your period, then eat very safely and do light exercise during those days.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Where on earth did you get THAT from? new
      #303846 - 04/03/07 05:14 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

It's amazing how such a young person can cause so many arguments on this. I don't say things to start arguments,, just state the facts. This time I'm sorry but I will NOT give my source because I'm going to get the same response as last time, the "This is biased" or "Don't post false information" crap. It is NOT false. I think this time I really will stay away from the board. I'm stable now and have no need to be back on. In fact I got on to post a thank you to Heather,, but now,,,

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#303870 - 04/03/07 09:39 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

You are certainly not alone with having more IBS problems that week of the month. I am not able to take BC because the hormones gave me migraines, so I just try to be extra careful about what I eat that week and a couple of days leading up to it. While stabilizing, I mostly ate grilled chicken and rice with a little SF veggies, but I'm D (you may need more IF that week, I don't know). I would just stick to whatever you know to be most soothing to your bowels. Just don't cheat that week. It's the worst time to try it!

As for BC risks, I've never heard of problems with birth defects or anything like that unless you take them WHILE you're pregnant. Like you get pregnant and don't realize it and keep taking the pill.

Julie - migraines new
      #303876 - 04/03/07 11:06 AM
Lisa Marie

Hey there - I'm a fellow migraine sufferer, and I had to try several pills before I found one that did not give me migraines. I currently take a generic form of Modicon, and I skip my periods which REALLY cut back on my migraines. Plus I get a constant, small hormone dose all month long, so no more migraines. Something to think about! Do you still get migraines while not on the pill?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Whoa, this is completely false - sorry, but I can't let this post stay. -nt- new
      #303890 - 04/03/07 03:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Julie - migraines new
      #303918 - 04/03/07 11:11 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

No, I only had migraines while on the pill. Tried 2-3 different types, but they were all bad for me. I never had migraines before taking the pill and never since (knock on wood). Haven't taken the pill since 1998, so I'm sure there are new types on the market that weren't there then. I'm just too much of a scaredy cat to try them. Think I'll just leave well enough alone...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2625 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review