All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Results!! new
      #30321 - 12/06/03 01:27 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I've been trying to figure out the wheat intolerance part of my diet now for about a year. Wheat does not bother my IBS, but it bothers the rest of my body. While trying to figure out whether or not I was Celiac, I found that other things such as headaches, clearing throat, joint pain, foggy brain thoughts cleared up totally while off grains. When I was diagnosed NOT to be Celiac, I added it all back in and then all the other problems came back. I now try and only eat wheat when desperate, such as while out of the house and starving........lol. I'll be interested to see if your wheat avoidance will help your IBS. Do you have any other symptoms other than IBS that this could help you with?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Results!!...question for heather new
      #30323 - 12/06/03 01:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Thanks for your kind comments!!

For your questions, if you are JUST gluten intolerant and you do NOT have IBS, then all you have to eliminate from your diet is gluten. All of the resources at celiac.com will be really helpful for that - also check the recipe board for gluten free recipes.

But, if you have IBS and are gluten intolerant as well, then yes, you'll have to avoid the other trigger foods, keep your soluble fiber level high, and be careful with insoluble fiber foods. What might be a good idea is to just this things this way at first until you're stable and feeling good. Even if you don't have IBS, this will help stabilize your digestive tract, and as you recover from any damage the gluten did to your gut the IBS diet will help things along in general. Then, once you feel that you're back to normal, keep yourself gluten free but try adding in foods that would trigger IBS (a big raw salad, coffee, something high fat) and see what happens. For celiac these things won't cause problems - for IBS, they will - and that will help tell you what's going on with your gut.

Also be aware that an insult to your gut - such as damage from gluten when you're gluten-intolerant - can actually affect the gut's nervous system and lead to the development of IBS. So, if this has not already happened, following the IBS diet while you get the celiac under control will lessen the odds that it will happen while you recover.

It is cheaper to order the Acacia in bulk because shipping costs drop for each additional item you order. Right now our prices are set (for foreign orders) at 9$ for the first item and $6 for each additional item. I'm actually trying to figure out a way to make a big bulk bag of the stuff with a special shipping price, because this is something other folks are asking for too. It's tricky, because foreign shipping is just really expensive, especially once you're at or over 3 pounds, and there's no getting around that. The Acacia will stay fresh for a long time, especially unopened (but opened as well). It will certainly keep for many months without problem.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Trust yourself... new
      #30324 - 12/06/03 01:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

even if you were eating gluten at the time of the celiac test, you could still get a false negative. And celiac has been found to cause the joint pain, headaches, etc. and other non-gut problems that you experienced.

If you can track this down, the February 2003 Today's Dietitian had an excellent article on celiac testing, the different types of celiac, the different types of tests, and the difficulty of getting any type of accurate diagnosis. I really, really wish that article was on-line because it's the best thing I've ever seen on the topic, and quite shocking.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

You just scared the heck out of me!!! new
      #30367 - 12/06/03 10:25 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote: "Also be aware that an insult to your gut - such as damage from gluten when you're gluten-intolerant - can actually affect the gut's nervous system and lead to the development of IBS."

Being one who was positively diagnosed as being wheat allergic over 25 years ago, I never followed up on the tests for gluten intolerance. Now I am wondering, being mostly Irish, if in fact I AM. Guess that is something I need to bring up with the gastro next time there. If the biopsy endoscope test is anything like my colonoscopy from hell I'll have to have general anesthesia to get through it. Ug. I would hate to think that this IBS was caused from undetected celiac disease.

Thanks for the info Heather.
Kandee

--------------------

#30374 - 12/07/03 04:16 AM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

thanks heather
if you manage to find a way to get acacia in bulk to the U.K., then i think you'll become a millionaire (if you're not one already ) have ordered two more packets of acacia and two lots (so 4 pots of peppermint caps) - think that should keep me going for a while!

#30393 - 12/07/03 07:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather, this is great info.! Thanks for teaching me, as always!

Katgirl: I would also add to be careful of dairy products for a while. The research I've done on Celiac suggests dairy can be a prob for folks with celiac until they get on track. Eventually dairy might be ok, might not. You also might be careful of soy and eggs for a while. There should be more info. regarding this on celiac.com. HTH and hope you begin to recover soon!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: You just scared the heck out of me!!! new
      #30394 - 12/07/03 07:36 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kandee,

I just had my upper endoscopy this past week to test for Celiac. I was AWAKE for my colonoscopy so I made sure to be asleep for this one...even though I heard it isn't nearly as bad. I don't remember a thing! The prep is no biggie, no eating or drinking for 8 hours before the procedure...and no lotion or cream, no apirin for like 5 days before the test, that kind of thing. I say get it...you'll feel better knowing. I'll let you know my results when I get em'! Let me know what you decide

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I feel that I need to be tested, too! -nt- new
      #30410 - 12/07/03 09:55 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: You just scared the heck out of me!!! new
      #30428 - 12/07/03 11:50 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Ruchie,
Well, you eased my mind A LITTLE, anyway. I just get this nervous twitch <G> even thinking about that tube down my throat, not to mention any pain involved. When I went in for the follow up for the colonoscopy the gastro (head of the dept. of a well recognized med center here in So Cal) said I was one of a few that would need to be "knocked out" (not the way he put it) when I have a colonoscopy again. I do believe he would honor my request to do the same for the endoscope proceedure.........

By all means, keep us posted and I'll do the same.......
Cheers
Kandee

--------------------

Trust yourself here... new
      #30452 - 12/07/03 02:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

it's a really good thing that you were totally out for the colonoscopy. That procedure, if it traumatizes the gut, could also lead to IBS. Not commonly, but it can happen. Basically anything that insults the gut to a severe degree could then lead to the development of IBS. So everything from an inflammatory bowel disease, to food poisoning, dystentery, abdominal surgery, pregnancy, eating disorders (especially bulimia), traveler's diarrhea, a rough colonoscopy, etc. all have the potential. It's well worth it to coddle your gut like a baby whenever possible if you're facing any one of these traumas and trying to recover.

- Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4389 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19080

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review