All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
missing regular meals
      #30021 - 12/04/03 11:49 AM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

HI; I miss just being able to go out to breakfast and having a good old fashioned bacon and egg breakfast. Anyone else miss meals they used to have?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: missing regular meals new
      #30054 - 12/04/03 02:35 PM
portia

Reged: 12/02/03
Loc: Hawaii (The North Shore of Oahu)

That stuff's not healthy anyway, but yes, I miss ice cream and cheeseburgers and french fries too. But then I try to convince myself I've reached my lifetime limit and certainly had the experience.

idea new
      #30065 - 12/04/03 04:00 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

try some egg beaters with your own seasonings and turkey bacon... it's hard to tell the difference.

Best,
Shanna

P.S. I am really used to the IBS diet and the way I used to eat actually isn't that appealing to me...

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Healthy burger and fries new
      #30069 - 12/04/03 04:05 PM
Shanna

I love my 95% sirloin burger on a small white bun w/ a slice of Veggie mozzarella soy cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, catsup, and mustard.... YUM! I have to have my red meat... I also buy (Alexia: Yukon Gold: Julienne Fries w/ Sea Salt) french fries and pop them in the oven... no extra oil required. The aforementioned brand is low fat and only contains potatoes and the tiniest bit of olive oil and salt.

YUMMY! Enjoy it -- no need to miss your cheeseburger and fries.

Best,
Shanna

--------------------

Ack! Watch out for the red meat, in any variety... new
      #30084 - 12/04/03 05:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's the single biggest universal trigger for IBS. No matter how lean, or how it's cooked, or if it's organic...the saturated fat and the proteins are just super difficult to digest. Most folks just can't take it, even in tiny quantities.

Boca Burgers can be a good substitute. Their original flavor tastes so much like real hamburgers I can't even eat them (never been a burger-gal).

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: idea new
      #30088 - 12/04/03 06:47 PM
louise

Hi SHANNA; egg beaters only agree with me for baking. I just miss the way pancakes and such used to really fill me up. Now they just give me gas and don't fill me up.

Re: Healthy burger and fries new
      #30090 - 12/04/03 06:49 PM
louise

red meat is usually a trugger isn't it, or does it not bother you?

Sorry, Heather, I must dissent... new
      #30093 - 12/04/03 06:57 PM
Shanna

Judging from my experiences and those of close friends who suffer from IBS, I think that a good amount of IBS patients can tolerate lean red meats (LEAN is the key word).

This is good, since they contain a specific strain of iron that is most effective in preventing anemia and most readily absorbable by the human body. I actually become borderline anemic when I go a week w/o lean red meat, no matter what subsitutes I impose.

I think people that can't digest it SHOULDN'T eat it, and should substitute ground turkey or a vegetarian substitute istead. HOWEVER, those whose bodies need it (me and many active women) should eat it...

--------------------

Re: idea new
      #30095 - 12/04/03 06:58 PM
Shanna

maybe you could try whipping some up from scatch using white flour, egg whites, baking powder, and soy milk? There are recipes on-line... good luck!

also, soy or rice butter and organic maple syrup should be easy to digest and would top the pancakes you miss OH so nicely!

--------------------

Re: burger and fries new
      #30107 - 12/04/03 07:37 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I agree that those things aren't healthy anyway. I'm sure you could find substitutes for those things? You know what's really good is Morningstar Farms fake sausage patties, so yummy!

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: Sorry, Heather, I must dissent... new
      #30108 - 12/04/03 07:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Shanna - I know some folks are exceptions here, but they really are few and far between. Out of the thousands of people I've heard from (I'm guessing 9,000 - 10,000 at this point) maybe two or three of them have said they can tolerate a bit of lean red meat. The rest just cannot eat it, so I don't want anyone reading the board who's having problems to think they can keep red meat in their diet when they likely can't. At the very least people need to eliminate it from their diet first, get stable, and then try a small amount to see how they do with it. Even then, because red meat is indisputably linked to higher heart disease and colon cancer rates (among other diseases), it's really hard for me to say that anyone is better off with it than without it.

I also want the boards to be consistent along the basic Eating for IBS dietary guidelines, so new people aren't reading wildly different things from post to post, as that doesn't help folks make the basic diet changes they need. If you've spent time on any other IBS internet boards, and seen the total chaos and inconsistencies in posts about diet (it ain't pretty), you'll know what I mean. Everyone will eventually learn their own specific idiosyncrasies when it comes to diet, but they've got to take the same fundamental steps and make the big adjustments first (no triggers, high soluble fiber, careful but regular incorporation of insoluble fiber, low fat), before they'll be able to reach that point. I'm trying to keep the waters from being muddied here - there are many, many people who just read the boards but never post, so the more clear and consistent information they receive the better. I hope this is making sense...

You can get plenty of iron from skinless chicken breasts and seafood and be a lot safer for IBS. Oatmeal and leafy greens are also good sources, especially if you eat them with foods containing vitamin C to help with absorption.

I have trouble absorbing iron properly even when I eat enough of it - the funny thing is all the women in my family have this problem (and except for me, they all eat red meat). I asked my family doc about this once and she said she sees a lot of women who have this problem, though she didn't know why. I take an iron supplement (always with food) fairly regularly to keep this problem in check. I'd much rather see someone else with IBS who has this problem look to any source but red meat for a solution.

But I'm glad to hear you do okay with the occasional burger.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Fab idea - safe pancakes are so easy and yummy, new
      #30109 - 12/04/03 07:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I don't know why restaurants don't make them that way!

- H

--------------------

Re: Fab idea - safe pancakes are so easy and yummy, new
      #30113 - 12/04/03 08:11 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Gotta watch those restaurant pancakes, they are not safe at all. They sound so safe, and sometimes appear to be the safest choice on a limited menu, but they are deceiving!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! new
      #30115 - 12/04/03 08:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

This drives me crazy. Restaurant pancakes are awful - they have butter, milk, whole eggs, and are fried on a greased griddle. It's so simple to just use egg whites, soy/rice milk, and fry in an nonstick skillet. The results are just as delicious and totally safe. I would LOVE to have an IBS restaurant to go to for breakfasts.

- H

--------------------

Restaurants new
      #30117 - 12/04/03 09:01 PM
Shanna

I HATE eating out. The servers or cooks usually ignore my requests ("hold the oil and butter"). It would be sooooo nice to just relax and do no work -- and have no worry -- like "normal ppl" who are able to eat out with ease. Maybe one day I will find a "safe" place to eat...

--------------------

Good Point new
      #30118 - 12/04/03 09:06 PM
Shanna

Rather than dispute what you are saying with medical or biological evidence... and have the good old vegetarian vs. meat eating or chicken vs. red meat debate... where no one wins... but both sides make valid points...

I will agree with you that most IBS ppl shouldn't eat eat red meat.

SOOOOOOOOOO no red meat you guys!

<grins>.

Hugs,
Shanna

--------------------

Re: Good Point new
      #30137 - 12/05/03 07:43 AM
belinda

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Shanna:

I wonder if you have ever tried taking red meat out of your diet. Like you, I was convinced I could tolerate it. I had been eating red meat for 45 years, which is how long I believe I've had IBS. Certainly I knew I couldn't have fatty red meat, but I was convinced I was fine with lean red meat.

I didn't realize I shouldn't be having red meat until I discovered Heather's website last spring. My reaction to Heather's advice was that perhaps red meat was a problem for some IBS people -- but not for me! (I also had the same reaction to her advice not to eat dark poultry meat.)

However, out of curiousity to see what would happen, I gradually reduced the amount of red meat in my diet. (It was definitely a struggle to do so!)

I have now been red meat-free for about six weeks. And guess what! To my surprise, I feel so much better! I find I can't touch red meat at all now because I get D and pain when I try.

I now think that when I used to get IBS attacks and I attributed those attacks to other trigger foods, the red meat was, in fact, contributing to those attacks. I also think the reason I thought I could tolerate red meat is because I had gotten so used to feeling rotten most of the time that I wasn't even aware most of the time that I was feeling rotten! But now I'm acutely aware of how I feel because I feel so good these days (except for my acid reflux which I'm working to control)!

If you haven't already, please consider taking red meat out of your diet for awhile as an experiment. You might be as surprised as me at the results!

Best wishes,

Belinda

Re: Yes! new
      #30138 - 12/05/03 07:50 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

This drives me crazy. Restaurant pancakes are awful - they have butter, milk, whole eggs, and are fried on a greased griddle. It's so simple to just use egg whites, soy/rice milk, and fry in an nonstick skillet. The results are just as delicious and totally safe. I would LOVE to have an IBS restaurant to go to for breakfasts.

- H

I totally agree! Going out to breakfast is one of the things I miss most. It's great to be able to make my own pancakes at home, but sometimes I just want to go out and eat something other than toast!

I also miss going out for ice cream. Once again, I love Tofutti and Soy Delicious when I'm at home, but there's just something special about going to an ice cream stand on a hot Summer day.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Anemia new
      #30140 - 12/05/03 07:58 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I also tend heavily towards being anemic and was worried about the diet, but I've been tested several times now and I'm right in the middle. This was to my surprise, I don't take vitamins (I should) and eat only chicken and fish for meat. I do though cook in old cast iron pans, I've heard the iron leaches out into the food making it iron rich. Maybe you could try that as it may be working for me.

turkey bacon new
      #30150 - 12/05/03 09:17 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Isn't turkey bacon too high in fat for IBS? What about chicken weiners?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Re: turkey bacon new
      #30179 - 12/05/03 11:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Check the label. You can get fat free turkey bacon and chicken weiners. Health food stores often have better brands here than regular grocery stores (they'll have organic, and varieties without added preservatives and artificial ingredients and such). You can also get soy bacon and soy dogs, both of which I love.

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Good Point new
      #30182 - 12/05/03 11:38 AM
Shanna

1. yes, i have taken red meat out of my diet in the past.
2. it is not a trigger for me.
3. i eat it once a week -- in a 4oz serving

glad you are finding what works for you! best of luck!

--------------------

Iron Pills new
      #30184 - 12/05/03 11:40 AM
Shanna

did you guys know that they are constipating? i recommend upping your fiber and water intake if you take iron supp's...

best,
shanna

--------------------

Belinda, this is a really good point for folks to consider... new
      #30213 - 12/05/03 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I've heard a lot of similar stories, about different triggers, from many people. It's always best to totally remove something (whether red meat, dairy, alcohol, etc.) first, get stabilized, and see how you do. Then you can verrrry carefully try (if you still want to) to add a little of the trigger back in to see how it affects you. This will really give people the info they need about how their bodies are going to respond to trigger foods.

What worries me is when someone doesn't take this step, and (like you said) just assumes that something isn't bothering them so they keep it in their diet, and keep suffering the consequences.

I think this is usually most common with the foods people really don't want to give up - a juicy steak, favorite cheese, ice cream, solid chocolate, that glass of wine before dinner. And I can totally understand and sympathize here!

So often with IBS I think it comes down to information being the key - the more you know, the better you can control the problem. But you have to take the steps (not always fun ones) to gain some of that knowledge in the first place, and then you can go from there.

Shanna, I admire you for going through this whole process first (what a time-consuming hassle, eh?) and then making your decisions accordingly. And Belinda, I admire you for questioning your own assumptions and taking action on something that required a real struggle (and I'm thrilled you got such a happy surprise as a result of your efforts!).

You guys are both such helpful and sympathetic voices on this board - thank you for that!

- Heather

--------------------

As always, new
      #30218 - 12/05/03 01:47 PM
Shanna

Excellent Response! We will call you Switzerland...

** Smiles **

--------------------

Re: turkey bacon new
      #30333 - 12/06/03 03:45 PM
fishnets

Try the soy versions instead.

--------------------
IBS-C

#30349 - 12/06/03 07:25 PM
louise

Hi; it is just so much easier when eating out, to be able to order from the breakfast menu. eggs, bacon and /or pancakes. yum!

#30474 - 12/07/03 04:26 PM
fishnets

Actually when I eat breakfast out, I just get a plate of hash browns. You can get fruit or cereal too.

--------------------
IBS-C

#30489 - 12/07/03 09:17 PM
louise

Hi; THAT IS my mai n problem. I can't handle dry cereals too much at all.

Re: Restaurants new
      #30505 - 12/08/03 06:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

The truth of the matter is...we'd ALL be a lot better off without a lot of the ingredients used in foods...period. Not just us IBSers. I just keep waiting for the rest of the world to catch up (hope it's in our lifetime!)

One day we should all rent out a hotel and insist they make their kitchen IBS safe for us! We'll have a huge convention where we can all meet, eat LOL, and hang out! There would have to be a spa of course, acupuncturists, yoga instructors (we'll let Heather take the time off, right guys!), and many other wonderful, relaxing luxuries. Anyone game?

-<3-

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

what about the other stuff in multi's? new
      #30509 - 12/08/03 06:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

I knew about iron...but I'm wondering...are there other nutrients in multi-vitmains that also cause constipation? I've read that vitamin C is high doses can cause faltulence and dirrhea. Are there any other GI concerns in vitamins?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Restaurants new
      #30514 - 12/08/03 06:45 AM
Kree

Quote:

One day we should all rent out a hotel and insist they make their kitchen IBS safe for us! We'll have a huge convention where we can all meet, eat LOL, and hang out! There would have to be a spa of course, acupuncturists, yoga instructors (we'll let Heather take the time off, right guys!), and many other wonderful, relaxing luxuries. Anyone game?

-<3-

Sounds great to me, Ruchie! Are you volunteering to organize this wonderful gathering??

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Kree new
      #30518 - 12/08/03 07:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

If we can get enough people, and a place to hold the "affair"...you got a deal!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

IBS convention.... new
      #30523 - 12/08/03 07:46 AM
Shanna

... or reunion? That would be SOO much fun! We'd eat IBS safe foods, chatter away, get massages, soak in spas, and have awesome poops all weekend!

--------------------

Re: what about the other stuff in multi's? new
      #30524 - 12/08/03 07:48 AM
Shanna

I don't know much, but I do know that:

too much calcium is constipating, and too much magnesium causes diarrea. i take a cal-mag supplement... i guess they balance each other out!

--------------------

#30604 - 12/08/03 10:46 AM
Kree

It's too bad we're all from so many different places. I suppose finding a central location to meet would be almost impossible! *sigh*

--------------------

#30622 - 12/08/03 02:31 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hmm...well...we could just meet in Seattle, since that's where Heather's from.....that way no one gets offended about where it is!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#30627 - 12/08/03 02:54 PM
Kree

That does make the most sense! Just give me a year or so to save up for the airfare!

--------------------

Re: Good Point on red meat!!! new
      #30636 - 12/08/03 06:00 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I know I'm late to this discussion, but I've felt much better since I stopped eating red meat. I did have some this last weekend and it didn't taste all that good at all. I'll stick with the poultry, fish, and other protein sources, rather than red meat!! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#30675 - 12/09/03 06:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

LOL It's a deal!

If only we could REALLY make this happen...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#30677 - 12/09/03 06:54 AM
Kree

I know, it would be a huge undertaking. Maybe someday!

--------------------

Re: Healthy burger and fries new
      #35468 - 01/06/04 09:14 AM
zingirl

Reged: 01/03/04
Loc: Northern CA

Where do you find that brand of french fry? At Whole Foods?
Thanks Shanna,
Cristy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 904 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21387

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review