All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: turkey bacon new
      #30179 - 12/05/03 11:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Check the label. You can get fat free turkey bacon and chicken weiners. Health food stores often have better brands here than regular grocery stores (they'll have organic, and varieties without added preservatives and artificial ingredients and such). You can also get soy bacon and soy dogs, both of which I love.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good Point new
      #30182 - 12/05/03 11:38 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

1. yes, i have taken red meat out of my diet in the past.
2. it is not a trigger for me.
3. i eat it once a week -- in a 4oz serving

glad you are finding what works for you! best of luck!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Iron Pills new
      #30184 - 12/05/03 11:40 AM
Shanna

did you guys know that they are constipating? i recommend upping your fiber and water intake if you take iron supp's...

best,
shanna

--------------------

Belinda, this is a really good point for folks to consider... new
      #30213 - 12/05/03 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've heard a lot of similar stories, about different triggers, from many people. It's always best to totally remove something (whether red meat, dairy, alcohol, etc.) first, get stabilized, and see how you do. Then you can verrrry carefully try (if you still want to) to add a little of the trigger back in to see how it affects you. This will really give people the info they need about how their bodies are going to respond to trigger foods.

What worries me is when someone doesn't take this step, and (like you said) just assumes that something isn't bothering them so they keep it in their diet, and keep suffering the consequences.

I think this is usually most common with the foods people really don't want to give up - a juicy steak, favorite cheese, ice cream, solid chocolate, that glass of wine before dinner. And I can totally understand and sympathize here!

So often with IBS I think it comes down to information being the key - the more you know, the better you can control the problem. But you have to take the steps (not always fun ones) to gain some of that knowledge in the first place, and then you can go from there.

Shanna, I admire you for going through this whole process first (what a time-consuming hassle, eh?) and then making your decisions accordingly. And Belinda, I admire you for questioning your own assumptions and taking action on something that required a real struggle (and I'm thrilled you got such a happy surprise as a result of your efforts!).

You guys are both such helpful and sympathetic voices on this board - thank you for that!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

As always, new
      #30218 - 12/05/03 01:47 PM
Shanna

Excellent Response! We will call you Switzerland...

** Smiles **

--------------------

Re: turkey bacon new
      #30333 - 12/06/03 03:45 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Try the soy versions instead.

--------------------
IBS-C

Re: missing regular meals new
      #30349 - 12/06/03 07:25 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; it is just so much easier when eating out, to be able to order from the breakfast menu. eggs, bacon and /or pancakes. yum!

#30474 - 12/07/03 04:26 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Actually when I eat breakfast out, I just get a plate of hash browns. You can get fruit or cereal too.

--------------------
IBS-C

#30489 - 12/07/03 09:17 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi; THAT IS my mai n problem. I can't handle dry cereals too much at all.

Re: Restaurants
      #30505 - 12/08/03 06:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

The truth of the matter is...we'd ALL be a lot better off without a lot of the ingredients used in foods...period. Not just us IBSers. I just keep waiting for the rest of the world to catch up (hope it's in our lifetime!)

One day we should all rent out a hotel and insist they make their kitchen IBS safe for us! We'll have a huge convention where we can all meet, eat LOL, and hang out! There would have to be a spa of course, acupuncturists, yoga instructors (we'll let Heather take the time off, right guys!), and many other wonderful, relaxing luxuries. Anyone game?

-<3-

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review