All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Do you think the magnesium is having an effect? new
      #30070 - 12/04/03 04:09 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I have taken Magnesium w/o taken probiotics, and it really didn't have too much of an affect on me... though it did help a little. For me, probiotics are defintely what helps (for example, yogurt is wonderful as a tool to keep me regular). However, you raise a REALLY good point -- for many people, it could affect their bowel movements... positively or negatively...

I have seen it added to many probiotics, but I assume that it is just a trace ingredient. But, as I said, some people are very sensative to even trace ingredients of certain foods, enzymes, vit's/min's.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Jaro ingredients new
      #30318 - 12/06/03 12:50 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

Ok, so I went to the store and saw the the Jaro EPS like you said but also the jarro plus FOS. FOS stands for FructoOligoSaccharaides and I guess is a carb that feeds the bacteria. I wasn't sure of the difference andy thoughts also I wasn't sure if FOS would cause problems. You say you take 6 caplets a day the bottle says 1-2!! Did you just keep uping it ? Thanks so much for the help!

Watch out for the FOS... new
      #30322 - 12/06/03 01:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's actually a soluble fiber, and it has a prebiotic effect so it will help the probiotics grow in your gut. Sounds great, right? But, when I was researching Acacia I saw some studies on FOS and inulin (they're very similar) that show these are soluble fibers that when extracted from foods in a pure form are really likely to cause a lot of bloating and gas (and in higher doses, even diarrhea) in people.

If you've ever take Fiber Choice chewable tablets, that's inulin, so if you've had trouble with bloating and gas from that be really careful with the FOS. There might not be very much of it in the probiotics you bought, in which case there's likely no worries. And you might tolerate FOS just fine. But be aware just in case.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

FOS? new
      #30355 - 12/06/03 08:13 PM
Shanna

I take EPS b/c it was recommended by nutritionists... I haven't bought the FOS.

As for my dosage, I take 2-3 tablets twice/day with anybrand... two if the capsules are less potent, three if they are more. My bacteria are having fun colonizing!!

--------------------

inulin new
      #30361 - 12/06/03 08:31 PM
Shanna

they also put it in some yogurts now... so inulin sensative ppl should read their yogurt labels...

--------------------

Oh geez - that's good to know. -nt- new
      #30365 - 12/06/03 08:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Watch out for the FOS... new
      #30386 - 12/07/03 06:54 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wow, thanks Heather! This explains why the Stevia I bought with FOS caused probs for me...now I know I can try Stevia without. Thanks again!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Just goes to show you gotta read labels... new
      #30388 - 12/07/03 07:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

even if it's a food you buy every week. Ingredients change so frequently! Thanks Shanna!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

no prob, bob new
      #30414 - 12/07/03 10:08 AM
Shanna

--------------------

Jaro-Dophilus EPS give it a try! Thanks Shanna new
      #34330 - 12/30/03 06:17 AM
kctrun

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Virginia

It has been about 2 months since I started Heather's diet and that was making me feel so much better. I was still having some issuse with blowing and constipation. I knew I was not passing all that I could. I started the Jarro 5 days ago. The combo of the diet and jarro have made such a change ( I could not believe what I had to pass). I have great hope that 2004 is going to be a better year than 2003 ( IBS really hit hard this last year) Anyway, if any of you had read about Jaro and were thinking about giving it a try go ahead and do it.
Hope everyone has a great NEW YEAR!!
Last thing- all of those recipes were a life saver over the holiday.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2889 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23627

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review