All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
please help...terminating pregnancy
      #299098 - 02/06/07 11:09 AM
helpinneed

Reged: 02/06/07

I am going to terminate my pregnancy, my doctor has advised me to because I am in a high risk group. I've started menopause and have had several miscarriages and other factors.

What impact would this have on my IBS-C?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: please help...terminating pregnancy new
      #299102 - 02/06/07 11:14 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I'm so sorry to hear that. That's terrible, how far along are you? I'm sorry i can't be much help in terms of how it will affect your IBS, but I know that women without health concerns are affected greatly mentally and physically, and many end up needing councelling. Please be sure this is what you want to do, even if you are considered a high risk patient. More often than not, women who are high risk are able to deliver healthy babies. I'll pray for you and your baby.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#299103 - 02/06/07 11:15 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'm sorry I can't help you. But my guess is the stress of it all will probably have some kind of effect. I'm so very sorry you had to make a tough choice like that.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#299107 - 02/06/07 11:30 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Oh, I am so sorry...

I don't know about the IBS-C, but pregnancy is known to increase C, so maybe it will have a positive effect (terminating it, i mean).

Otherwise, if your life is at stake, it is better to terminate it... I am so very sorry you had/have/ to take such a difficult choice... I will still pray that both of you are OK and make it through the pregnancy fine...

--J

#299115 - 02/06/07 12:45 PM
raksasi

Reged: 11/10/06
Loc: Concord, NH

I'm thinking the stress may be one of the biggest effects. High stress levels for me ramp up the C until it "breaks" and I swing to D. Maybe having finally made the decision, your body will be able to relax, which should help your C.

Also, once the hormones calm down, that should help your IBS.

Take care of yourself.

--------------------
IBS-C, D and nausea with acute attacks, stable on EFI for 3 years

#299138 - 02/06/07 03:29 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

I send a prayer to you and your baby - my girlfriend was in menopause and became pregnant - the Dr. also asked if she wanted to terminate and she carried on with her pregancy. She has a very healthy 5 year old daughter as of today. I realize that her physical health may be different than yours and I do not know what risk category you are in - felt it worth sharing a story - again I send a prayer to you and your baby at this time. I also agree with"oldest of six kids" - many women need emotional counselling after such a decision - this is not an easy time - God Bless, Debbie IBS-C

More information *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #299192 - 02/07/07 08:49 AM
oldestofseven

Post deleted by oldestofsixkids

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Re: More information new
      #299195 - 02/07/07 08:57 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Please give your source for these statistics.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Re: More information *DELETED* new
      #299201 - 02/07/07 09:32 AM
oldestofseven

Post deleted by Heather

--------------------

This has nothing to do with IBS new
      #299202 - 02/07/07 09:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

None of these statistics have anything to do with IBS.

Please keep your anti-abortion propaganda off the boards. Thank you.

Re: This has nothing to do with IBS new
      #299203 - 02/07/07 10:28 AM
oldestofseven

You are right, it does not have anything to do with IBS itself, but it does mention other physical problems, which can and WILL make IBS symptoms worse. Think, if this stuff happens to women without health concerns, it'll be worse for women who have health concerns, especiall IBS, and she said she is a high risk patient, so that will complicate things as well. I'm sorry if I have offended anyone by posting this stuff, yes I am pro-life and therefore against abortion 100%, but I am also concerned about the baby and the mother's health. I have no intention of angering anyone.

--------------------

Re: More information new
      #299210 - 02/07/07 10:53 AM
raksasi

Statistics from an anti-abortion group are going to be biased.

To the OP: please do what you and your doctor decide will be best for your health. Sending many healthy thoughts your way.

--------------------

Re: This has nothing to do with IBS new
      #299217 - 02/07/07 11:14 AM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Of course, oldestofsixkids, they won't say anything to people pointing out how stress will affect IBS, but they will be "angered" as you put it, and completely disrespectful according to me, by your comments (on how the specific kind of stress associated with abortion affects IBS)

There was no need for that kind of behaviour, but well... I am sorry you received such a response. Keep up the concern for others...

Before posting to this thread please read this... new
      #299221 - 02/07/07 11:26 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

this thread will stand, it's a legitimate topic, but the poster has made her choice clear and I will not allow posts in this thread that try to turn this into an abortion debate, post false abortion statistics, or in any other way take the topic off her direct original IBS questions.

There's no leeway here, folks - I will delete any inflammatory / inaccurate posts without warning.

Thank you.

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

please help...terminating pregnancy new
      #299223 - 02/07/07 11:29 AM
helpinneed

Reged: 02/06/07

I know this is a very touchy subject for all.
I did not mean to cause a debate on it. It has been a decision I have made between me and my doctor, it's the safest decision. I am an older woman who has had life threatening complications in the past due to pregnancy. In fact my doctor and I were in shock that I was pregnant. I did not have IBS in the past, just this year I developed IBS hence my question. I will be speaking to my GI doctor about it too. Thank you for everyones support and I would like to know more peoples experiences with pregnancy and IBS especially IBS-C so after the D&C I'll know a little bit more what to expect as far as my IBS is concerned.

#299224 - 02/07/07 11:30 AM
Tilden

Reged: 08/13/06
Loc: Bay Area

I think it is very difficult for anyone to say for sure how this will affect your IBS. I have been through the same thing but I am younger (still a ways from menopause) and everyone's health is individual as are side effects and reactions. Personally I did not experience any IBS reactions out of the oridinary.

All you can really do is try to stay as relaxed as possible, under the circumstances, and eat foods that are easy on your system. I'm sorry you are going through this. Take care.

--------------------
Jen

There's an IBS Glossary entry on hormones/pregnancy and IBS new
      #299226 - 02/07/07 11:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

that's here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/pregnancy.asp

Best of luck to you,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: There's an IBS Glossary entry on hormones/pregnancy and IBS new
      #299247 - 02/07/07 02:12 PM
raksasi

You may want to take this to your doctor to discuss, too. I don't remember reading anything about menopausal hormone changes and IBS, but I would imagine there's a connection. Maybe armed with more information on how hormones affect your gut, your doctor will be able to provide more directed assistance. (Because I gave up trying to convince my GI doc that there was a connection. He's a man. Not that men don't have hormones, but they aren't forced to pay as much attention to them.)

--------------------

There are some studies in the research library board as well.. new
      #299253 - 02/07/07 02:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

check the gender/hormones section.

- H

--------------------

#299258 - 02/07/07 03:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can't really be of any help out of experience, which is why I didn't reply initially, but I DO just want to wish you luck. It's a tough decision regardless of the circumstances, I'm sure... take care of YOU, and best wishes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 367 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review