All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
On the road to Insanity
      #2959 - 03/16/03 02:32 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

my ibs has been really really bad latley! the only things i can seem to hold down are pretzels rice peppermint tea and sourdough bread! i hate missing school cause i always miss so much, but it looks like i dont have much of a choice. also, my mom has left three dang messages for my gastroenterologist and she hasnt been calling back! Grr.... im on my wits end. hopefully the doc will call back tomorrow and sign me up for a colonscopy, i actually want one, because if im finally diagnosed with ibs, mabey i can get some med or a fiber suppmelement or something. well, thanks for letting me vent you guys, ill update you if my doc calls

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: On the road to Insanity new
      #2961 - 03/16/03 02:44 PM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

I hope everything works out for you. I understand about having a lot of troubles myself. Right my hurdles are not always my IBS but psychosomatic (i.e. worry that an attack might happen ..)and anxiety and panic beyond my control. I haven't really been out the house in the last two years. I went out a few times, but I mean its rare.

I am in a personal predicament where I might lose my job. I have been given 2 correctives (which is a warning that you will be terminated) because of my attendance. I have tried really hard to improve. I am having more success but it isn't easy.

You just have to say, it's something I have to deal with and do my best. If you know you do your best, you can make and survive it all.

#2968 - 03/16/03 03:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Lynn - You might check into hypnotherapy for IBS - it's been clinically shown to be extremely helpful for most people, particularly when anxiety and panic elements are involved in your symptoms. There's detailed info at web page

Hypnotherapy has helped people with IBS so severe they've been housebound for several years - it's a wonderful tool with no side effects but good ones.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2972 - 03/16/03 03:08 PM
Lynn

Thank you Heather! I have thought about it but I do not know if my medical insurance would cover the cost. I might look into it more. Definitely, another option, right?

Alone however I could not carry the expense of therapy so maybe my insurance company will be supportive. lol!

#2974 - 03/16/03 03:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Lynn - You can also check into the IBS hypnotherapy tapes by Mike Mahoney. They're explained in detail at the link I gave you, from the First Year book. They're about $100 - not cheap, but a lot less expensive than seeing someone in person, and they have terrific clinical results behind them.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2978 - 03/16/03 03:24 PM
Lynn

Heather, you're just the best! I need to re-read your book again. I think its best to read things atleast 3 to 4 times.

I suppose personally I have a hangup about therapy and medicine to be honest. I have just felt like doctors have been of little assistance. I have been in therapy before as a teen (I am 26) for issues relating to abuse. I have made the majority of my own success with my own hands.

#2981 - 03/16/03 03:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I think you're not alone in feeling that you've been battling IBS all alone, without help from the doctors you've seen. I've had some pretty horrifying experiences with doctors about my own IBS. And I think you're right - for many people, the success they reach in controlling their symptoms comes solely through their own hard work. You should be proud that you've done that!

I like the hypno tapes because they were made specifically for IBS, and they're meant to physically address the symptoms as well as the underlying pathology of the gut's nervous system not working properly. I don't have much use for therapy in general for IBS - I've never seen any evidence that it works at all, and to me it really smacks of the "IBS is all in your head" dismissal we faced for so many years. But I put the hypnotherapy in a different category altogether - it really addresses the physical roots of IBS, and I think that's why the the therapy and the IBS tapes are so sucessful. The clinical studies show something like a 90% reduction in pain, bowel dysfunction, and other symptoms. It's really amazing.

I'm going to try and start posting more info about this option for people. It's really effective and safe, the medicine behind it makes perfects sense with the current research findings for IBS, but too many folks haven't heard about it.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

#2985 - 03/16/03 03:40 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hang in there, young angel. We all care for you here. It's good that your Mom is trying to get you in. When the time comes, make sure that your Doc explains everything to your Mother ie. it's NOT in your head. You may even if you are with the Doc alone mention that you aren't getting much support at home. Tell him what you have been limited in food choices and that has made things worse. Make sure he understands that you are missing too much school (more likely to take you seriously) and that you need HELP NOW. Ask for any other information that he has so that your Mom can read up on it. Maybe it'll sink in that it's not in your head. You didn't ask for this. This is as much a medical problem as is Diabetes or Heart Disease, except way more people have IBS than either Diab or H.D. Do your best to stay calm and not get frustrated. That only makes the IBS worse. Try to relax every day. Hang out with your friends, go window shopping, whatever. Try to stay mellow. Let us know how you're doing. And remember, things can only get better.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Hmmm :) new
      #2986 - 03/16/03 03:41 PM
Lynn

Thanks so much Heather!

You know there is something I have thought about for some time. With all the foods on the market and so many people suffering from IBS, I wonder why the Food Manufacturers haven't thought of developing more IBS safe prepared foods etc? They would have a big market for it. Just a passing thought, probably silly, but I am just being honest.

#2987 - 03/16/03 03:57 PM
ConcreteAngel

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank you all so very much for all of your support. If i cant get the support from home i can at least find comfort in the support of my IBS family . My stomach is very upset, and my mother offered to make me grill cheese i told her no thanks and that it would only make my ibs worse, but she didnt buy it. i managed to bribe her into letting me have a turkey sandwich instead, and she immidiently took my weight. thank god i was 102 pounds. ya see for the last couple of months, i have been jumping back and forth between the 90's and the 100's in pounds. If i weigh any less than 100, im pretty much a failure, and i dissapoint my parents to the point where they get mad at me, if im 100+, im the golden child..... yeah, thats real fair

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3003 - 03/16/03 07:12 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I am like Lynn- I worry more lately about an attack happening when I am out. I tried hypnosis in the summer and I was great for 3 months. I was able to travel in the car with no problems and was actually eating things that prior were a definate no no!!!!! I think I may need to go back as I have created a phobia of driving long distances- especially with my children in the car.

Re: UPDATE new
      #3049 - 03/17/03 03:39 PM
ConcreteAngel

the doc. finally got back to us she temporarily put me on some kind of antispotic, but its at minimum dosge (1.5mg) shes too busy to see me though, and my mom thinks that the med will "miraculosly make all my symptoms dissapear) If only, right? hey, i guess can dream....lol.She didnt tell my mom anything about the fiber supplement, though, so unfortunatly i'll have to wait to who knows when to actually start feeling better. oh, and tomorow i have an appt with the gynecologist to check out my "absence of woman hood" i'll let you know how that one turns out... thnks

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#3066 - 03/17/03 06:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That is SO FRUSTRATING--but you seem to be taking it in stride! I'm sorry your doc doesn't have time to see you Were you able to at least make an appointment sometime in the near future? Your doc didn't tell your mom about fiber supplements? That's rough. I think you have a tremendous attitude and I give you a lot of credit for being able to smile and joke--you go!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3067 - 03/17/03 06:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

P.S. Thanks for updating us!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3082 - 03/17/03 10:34 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi Heather; I'd be in interested in how the tapes work,ie. and if yoyu listen to them on your own. If they helpthe physical side of ibs.they sounf like a godsend. by the way, have you received my picture yet?

#3091 - 03/18/03 03:47 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I just wanted to say that I think your personal strength, determination and courage is very admirable. It is a shame that you feel you don't get the support you need at home, but rest assured that there are many people on this board who do care and support each another (but of course you know that!)

Anyway - I hope that things go well for you at the docs and that through all of this, you will get the understanding you deserve.

Best of luck with everything!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1594 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2776

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review