All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wheat allergy vs GI
      #294899 - 12/29/06 08:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If my Celiac gluten intolerance test was negative, could I still be allergic to wheat? or would that be covered in the GI test? Should I get a wheat allergy test now?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wheat allergy vs GI new
      #294902 - 12/29/06 08:50 PM
cloudidays

Reged: 12/10/06
Loc: Chicago,ILL

You can also be gluten intolerant VS having Celiac disease

There are a couple links through this web site I posted on:

http://www.dailystrength.org/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,53/func,view/id,9582/catid,27/

What GI test are you talking about?-nt new
      #295012 - 01/01/07 06:34 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#295038 - 01/02/07 09:27 AM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Here is a link that may help:

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=181&p_catid=11&sid=91hH9H1jY56z8tv-36107268762.b2

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Heather? new
      #295188 - 01/03/07 05:20 PM
Little Minnie

I have searched the internet and cannot find anything that says I could have a negative Celiac blood test and still be wheat intolerant. The only thing I have found is that GI is broader than WI since it includes the gluten in other grains. But would it still give a positive GI test or not? Someone please answer since I go to the doc on Monday and I need to have the information before then, as usually I have to tell them what to do and explain GI stuff to them and not vice versa.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Heather? new
      #295203 - 01/03/07 06:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, if you've been avoiding gluten prior to taking the test, you won't have gluten antibodies in your blood, and you can get a false negative. But if you've been eating gluten regularly for 6-8 weeks before the test, and the test is negative, that should show that you are not gluten intolerant.

Now, whether or not you could still have actual allergy/intolerance problems with wheat, due to components other than gluten, I don't know....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

thanks new
      #295216 - 01/03/07 07:08 PM
Little Minnie

I was eating gluten when I had the negative test result. I was just noticing that the hoisin sauce I have been eating has wheat and then I did cheat and have panko for 3 days. So perhaps it is being off yeast that is making me feel better- or the T Tapping- or just eating lighter- or the lack of soy products. I sure hope it is T Tapping! Anyway as soon as I am back to the way I was last week before the greasy hashbrown episode I will start adding some things back in to see how I feel. I can ask my doc about wheat/GI but just see what she says.
Thanks again Heather.

--------------------

#295304 - 01/05/07 12:06 AM
Joseph Roy

Reged: 01/04/07
Loc: VA

Heather,
Finished taking a 30 day regime of Cipro and now have most of the symtoms of IBS. Can a long therapy of this antibiotic cause this and what can I do. I have heard of a therapy called probiotics. I hope you can give me some information since I am in misery and have never had a problem like this.

#295307 - 01/05/07 05:18 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi LittleMinnie! I just couldn't help but respond to your post, as I was put through the ringer about celiac last year. To make a very long and complicated story short, my IBS had gotten worse and I felt sick all of the time. I went to my doc, they did a blood test for celiac, and it was positive. (I was shocked...since crackers and white bread always helped when I had a tummy ache). Anyway, he said I had celiac disease and to avoid wheat. He scheduled a biopsy for a week later. I stopped eating gluten and the biopsy (a week into the diet) showed no signs of celiac. Now, my doctor said that was because I was off wheat for the week and that the gluten free diet was still needed. For one whole year I suffered through the frustrating diet. Not one little ounce of gluten passed my lips. I continuted to be sick very often, missing a lot of work.
Fed up with my doctor's response every time I called of "you gotta watch that diet", I gave up.
I went home for a week to my parents house to recover. My mom suggested I go to my family doc. He said IBS comes and goes in big waves, and this probably just was a bad time for me. (graduated college, starting working..etc...)
He also sent me for a HIDA scan to check my gallbladder.
It came back that it was functioning at 6%.
I had my gallbladder removed.
The surgeon then told me something incredibly important:
If any organs or glands or anything are swollen in your body, the celiac test can become false positives. Therefore, my swollen and non-functioning gallbladder gave me that result.
Now, how this might relate to you-- those tests do not seem to be too accurate. I've read about PLENTY of false positives and negatives while trying to figure my own situation out. I know this doesn't help you too much, but I wanted to share my situation. Gluten is so difficult to avoid, but it is possible. I give you a big thumbs up for trusting yourself and trying to cut it out to see what happens...
All of the best to you!
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

#295333 - 01/05/07 09:38 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Bio-K saved me after I finished a long course of very harsh antibiotics. You can buy them at a HFS like Whole Foods. Make sure you buy the dairy-free bottles. Several other people on this board have had success with it, too! Start slow and work up. It will replenish all the good bacteria in your gut that the antibiotic killed off.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review