All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
High Fructose Corn Syrup-D?
      #289191 - 11/06/06 09:02 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I know to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup.

However, I made a boo boo.
I always buy Applesauce to mix with Oat Bran.
The last few days, since last Thursday, I noticed the Applesauce tasted different, better.

I also noticed I had D, which I never have, and overall stability is way lower than normal.

I normally have three cups of Applesauce a day.
I was just now going to get some more of it, when I looked at the ingedients.
I mistakenly bought the regular not the Natural kind, they both look so close on the outside.

I wanted to know, given the frequency I have it, and how I have done so for the last several days, could this be why I have felt much worse and had D, can High Fructose Corn Syrup or Applesauce that is not the natural brand make this big an impact, thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup-D? new
      #289199 - 11/07/06 04:43 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I'm not sure your saying the brand you bought did have HFCS or just wasn't the natural. But if it has HFCS and I ate that much of it I'd definitely have D and be unstable for a few days.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Apples are high in fructose new
      #289206 - 11/07/06 05:31 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Both HFCS and applesauce can give fructose sensitive individuals D. Apples and apple juice contain a high amount of fructose. A medium apple without the skin contains about 1 g sucrose, 4 g glucose and 8.0 g fructose ( USDA National Nutrient Database ). The amount also varies with the variety. It could be that the variety of apples that are being used for the applesauce have a higher amount of fructose than usual too. See message for more information.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Apples are high in fructose new
      #289208 - 11/07/06 06:16 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks, yes, the applesauce I bought did have High Fructose Corn Syrup, so I take that it was I have been D lately.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

apples new
      #289210 - 11/07/06 06:30 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I shouldn't have read this. I brought an apple for lunch. These types of posts scare me from food. Apples are allowed on this diet, aren't they? Does anyone else eat apples and do okay? I think it's time to stop reading these posts. I'm more food phobic than ever.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

You can eat natural applesauce, though? new
      #289211 - 11/07/06 06:31 AM
Jordy

Can you eat apples too?

--------------------

Re: apples new
      #289226 - 11/07/06 09:39 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

I have IBS-D. I eat a medium-size apple with skin nearly every day. It's one of the few fruits that I can tolerate.

#289238 - 11/07/06 12:04 PM
Jordy

Wow...with skin...I'm impressed! Thank you so much for replying Karen. Does it matter what kind of apple it is? Do you take a specific SFS beforehand?

I'm eating lunch right now and trying to decide about this apple that is starring at me! It's either an apple, an orange, or applesauce. I need to have one of them!

Thanks again.

--------------------

PS new
      #289243 - 11/07/06 01:17 PM
Jordy

I ate an orange. Wish me luck! It seemed less scary than the apple. It has low fructose....but it is acidic!

--------------------

#289257 - 11/07/06 02:56 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Jordy,

I eat apples fairly often, too, with no problems. I'm trying to incorporate the skin part as much as I can! I typically peel about half of the apple before I cut it up now rather than peeling the whole thing. But I cut it into very skinny slices. Just try it! I'd be way more afraid of an orange than an apple.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#289265 - 11/07/06 03:28 PM
Syl

Since you can eat apples can you eat foods with HFCS?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: You can eat natural applesauce, though? new
      #289274 - 11/07/06 03:55 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

I can eat apples, but usually peel them.

I can also eat applesauce and honey (however, since I don't like them much, I eat small quantities), so I guess fructose doesn't bother me too much. But I still like to not see HFCS on my ketchup ingredients and things like that, so I am avoiding it where I don't need it (what is it doing in ketchup anyway )

#289276 - 11/07/06 04:06 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sorry to butt in here but just wanted to say I eat applesauce and/or apples with peels every day no problemo (except green apples, dunno why).

I do find that I'm not sensitive to HFCS. I've never looked for it on labels but I'm sure it's in the foods I eat (cereals, prepared sauces, etc).

I have a hard time with oranges, and don't eat them very often.

--------------------
Kat

#289311 - 11/07/06 07:32 PM
Naturapanic

So the answer is? For most of you?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Avoid HFCS as much as possible. Eat the apple. -nt- new
      #289339 - 11/08/06 08:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Humbly disagree new
      #289340 - 11/08/06 08:20 AM
Syl

Sorry to disagree. There are only two main ingredients in HFCS - glucose and fructose. The problem ingredient in HFCS is fructose. If you are sensitive to HFCS then you are more than likely sensitive to fructose in other high fructose foods.

The only way to tell is to eat an apple when stable and see if it give you D.

--------------------

Re: Humbly disagree new
      #289349 - 11/08/06 08:56 AM
Sand

An apple is nutrition. HFCS is not. I believe I have a limited tolerance for irritating, annoying, upsetting foods and I follow Heather's lead in placing fructose on the "handle with care" list (not on the causal list as you do). I am not going to spend my fructose tolerance on HFCS but I will spend it on actual food.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#289353 - 11/08/06 09:01 AM
Syl

Very interesting idea. An apple, pear or other high fructose fruits for me means big time D no matter how much nutrition they contain.

Unfortunately fructose tolerance is not something you can accumulate and spend at a later date. I guess we will have to agree to disagree

--------------------

#289354 - 11/08/06 09:23 AM
Sand

Quote:

Unfortunately fructose tolerance is not something you can accumulate and spend at a later date.

If one has true fructose intolerance or fructose malabsorption, then no. If one simply has IBS, however, I believe problematic foods such as fructose, acidic foods, sulfurous foods, many of the irritants like alcohol and caffeine, and so on are largely interchangeable and cumulative. With the caveat, of course, that most people have something that just kills them no matter what - MSG for me.

My policy is to spend my gut's limited tolerance for things that annoy it as wisely as possible.

--------------------

#289355 - 11/08/06 09:31 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

My policy is to spend my gut's limited tolerance for things that annoy it as wisely as possible.

Hee hee - this is a good quote!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#289383 - 11/08/06 12:49 PM
Jordy

It's hard to distinguish between a true fructose intolerance...and knowing that fructose can be an IBS irritant. How do you draw the line between some and not too much. Or does everyone even have to worry about too much?

It's hard for me to separate what's really affecting my body negatively, and what I fear is effecting it because of something I've read.

--------------------

#289386 - 11/08/06 01:10 PM
Syl

There is no difference between suffering from fructose malabsorption and an IBS trigger. There is clinical evidence to show that many IBS suffers are also fructose malabsorbers.

One way to determine how much you can handle is to eat something with fructose in it. For example, if you eat a peppermint contain HFCS and it does it give you gas, bloating, cramping and/or D but two mints do then you know roughly how much fructose you can handle.

Personally I think that if you find you cannot handle HFCS then it is quite likely that you should avoid high fructose fruits. If you can handle HFCS then you likely won't have any problems with high fructose fruits.

AND of course you can always have a breath test to determine if you are a fructose malabsorber. I don't think the test is commonly available. Usually it is determined by a process of elimination.

--------------------

It's not readily availble new
      #289388 - 11/08/06 01:34 PM
Jordy

I called all over my state.

Unfortunately, I always have gas, bloat, cramps...so I, personally, would not be able to tell one way or another by testing.

--------------------

Sand just love your posts always make me smile nt new
      #289396 - 11/08/06 02:37 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

#289420 - 11/08/06 08:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Since its introduction, obesity has become a huge problem in the US. They put it in so many things. It's not a coincidence HFCS causes obesity...it's a wannabe sugar.

#289455 - 11/09/06 08:28 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Not sure; after starting the IBS diet, I promptly threw out things like syrup and ketchup, etc. that contained HFCS and replaced them with more "natural" stuff. But things like apples and honey (I tend to binge on the honey glazed snack mix once in awhile ) don't seem to bother me at all.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Oranges hard for lots of people?-nt new
      #289495 - 11/09/06 12:25 PM
Jordy

--------------------

#289502 - 11/09/06 01:58 PM
Sand

Quote:

There is no difference between suffering from fructose malabsorption and an IBS trigger.
First of all, I really need an empirical definition of fructose malabsorption. I haven't seen a definitive definition of fructose malabsorption in the form of:

A person is considered to suffer from fructose malabsorption if s/he is unable to absorb x grams of fructose ingested over y period of time.

If fructose malabsorption cannot be emprically defined, then perhaps we can think of a it as someone who cannot absorb excess fructose in reasonable amounts. The Skoog-Bharucha 2004 literature review you have repeatedly cited suggests a "reasonable" fructose consumption of 2 servings of excess fructose foods and drinks per meal - including up to 12 ounces of fruit juice or HFCS-sweetened soda as a serving. That's a lot more fructose than is in one little old apple.

Until we have an empirical definition of fructose malabsorption, I'll assume we mean the reasonable consumption definition and go from there.

I agree that fructose will not cause GI symptoms unless your body is unable to absorb it effectively. However, this is not an on/off switch. How well a person absorbs fructose depends on the fructose load as well as on the person's inherent ability to absorb fructose.

My distinction between fructose malabsorption and having IBS has partly to do with the fact that even people who wouldn't be considered to be suffering from fructose malabsorption will, in fact, be unable to absorb fructose if the level ingested is high enough. This is why I avoid HFCS (why add to my fructose load?) and fruit juices (it is, as Heather says, too easy to ingest a lot of fructose very quickly).

There is clinical evidence to show that many IBS suffers are also fructose malabsorbers.
My reading of the literature is that non-IBS suffers also suffer from fructose malabsorption at roughly the same rates. The Skoog-Bharucha 2004 literature review you have cited repeatedly states that "the prevalence of incomplete fructose absorption (25 g. 10%) in healthy subjects is as high as 50%". By contrast the 2003 Choi Iowa paper (I can only find a summary of this) reports 37.5% of the 80 IBS-diagnosed patients tested showed fructose malabsorption.

Furthermore, there seems to be some confusion about whether IBSers who suffer fructose malabsorption are more likely to report symptoms than non-IBSers who suffer similarly. Some studies seems to show they do, but the Skoog-Bharucha 2004 literature review says "The only controlled study that has been performed did not demonstrate a higher prevalence of fructose-induced gastrointestinal symptoms or incomplete fructose absorption in patients with functional gastrointestinal disorders."

One way to determine how much you can handle is to eat something with fructose in it. For example, if you eat a peppermint contain HFCS and it does it give you gas, bloating, cramping and/or D but two mints do then you know roughly how much fructose you can handle.
I have to think that anyone who is scared of apples would fail this test on nerves alone. If someone who is fearful about food eats something and then waits to see if IBS symptoms result, the odds are they will. It's simply a variant of the fact that, for example, I have trouble with my IBS when I'm scared of having trouble with my IBS. The psychological component to IBS makes short-term associations between food and symptoms difficult to determine when the IBSer is waiting anxiously to see if those associations occur.

Personally I think that if you find you cannot handle HFCS then it is quite likely that you should avoid high fructose fruits. If you can handle HFCS then you likely won't have any problems with high fructose fruits.
Apparently there are 2 types of HFCS: HFCS-42 and HFCS-55. HFCS-42 contains less fructose than glucose (presumably 42% to 58%) while HFCS-55 contains more fructose than glucose (presumably 55% to 45%). Even someone with absolutely no ability to absorb excess fructose would tolerate HFCS-42 with no trouble but would, of course, react badly to high fructose fruits. (As I side note, I think these correspond to the European glucose-fructose syrup and fructose-glucose syrup.)

Beyond this, there are suggestions in the literature that it is best to consume fructose with meals and with lactose. So someone who could not tolerate a cola made with HFCS-55 when it is ingested on its own may be fine with an apple provided it is not eaten on an empty stomach.

Furthermore - and this is the point I was making in my earlier post - the fact that someone can tolerate the fructose in HFCS-55 is not a sufficient reason to say, "Oh what the heck, go ahead and eat it." My reading of the literature is that if you make the fructose level high enough, as many as 80% of the healthy subjects tested will demonstrate fructose malabsorption. (I suspect that if you made it higher still you could hit 100%.) In other words, everyone has their own break-even point, beyond which they cannot tolerate excess fructose. Your break-even point is apparently quite low. Mine is apparently quite high. Nonetheless I am sure there is a point at which excess fructose will overwhelm my ability to absorb it. Consuming HFCS would simply add to my fructose load without providing any nutrional benefits and may be the straw needed to push me over my load limit.

The post that started this thread demonstrates this very clearly. The poster had no trouble with applesauce provided he ate the unsweetened kind. Clearly his fructose load limit had not been reached. Once he began consuming applesauce combined with HFCS, however, he began experiencing the classic diarrhea of excess fructose malabsorption. It appears that the HFCS has pushed him past his fructose load limit.

AND of course you can always have a breath test to determine if you are a fructose malabsorber. I don't think the test is commonly available. Usually it is determined by a process of elimination.
It appears to me that hydrogen breath tests to determine fructose malabsorption are not entirely reliable. I also found it interesting to read that not everyone who demonstrates fructose malabsorption experiences symptoms consistent with that condition.

I would think that if someone suspects s/he suffers from fructose malabsorption the simplest course would be to simply eliminate excess fructose for a short period of time - surely a week would be enough - and see if his/her symptoms improve.

I do believe that fructose malabsorption is a real problem for some people. I also believe that fructose malabsorption can be misdiagnosed as IBS and that it can co-occur with IBS. And certainly someone who is not finding relief for IBS after trying Heather's approach should be looking at other areas: fructose intolerance, SIBO, and so on.

I do not, however, think that fructose malabsorption causes IBS nor do I believe that all - or even most - IBSers suffer from fructose malabsorption. And I think it's wrong to make people scared of apples - surely we got enough of that with Snow White's stepmother. If someone suspects fructose malabsorption, let them just eliminate fructose for a week and see if things improve. If so, great. If not, check it off the list and move on.

----------

Here are some sources I looked at in addition to the Skoog-Bharucha 2004 literature review (PDF downloads):

Iowa Choi Oct 13 2003 - This is THE study. I have not been able to find a published version of it - it was presented at a GI conference - only references to it. Eighty patients diagnosed with IBS were tested. Thirty (37.5%) of them were fructose intolerant. The ones who followed a fructose-restricted diet reported improved symptoms.

Iowa Choi June 2003: This is the other study. Some reports combine this one with the October one and report the results from this one as if they apply to IBS patients. This study did not look specifically at IBS patients, but rather at patients with unexplained abdominal symptoms. I cannot tell if this included IBS patients or not. Between 39% and 80% of these patients had positive breath tests, depending on the fructose load.

Newsletter - high fructose foods - A caution about high fructose foods

Functional Diarrhea and fructose malabsorption

Nelis 1990: This is a controlled study comparing breath test results in IBS subjects with breath test results in non-IBS subjects following consumption of a fructose-sorbitol combination. The authors sum up with: "In conclusion, fructose-sorbitol malabsorption is frequently seen in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, but this is not different from observations in healthy volunteers. Therefore, fructose-sorbitol malabsorption does not seem to play an important role in the etiology of irritable bowel syndrome." Interestingly, the researchers come to this conclusion despite the fact that far more IBS subjects developed symptoms during the test (31 of 70) than did non-IBS subjects (3 of 85).

Interestingly, the Wikipedia entry on IBS includes tests for lactose and fructose intolerance (presumably meaning malabsorption) as among those necessary for a differential diagnosis of IBS. In other words, fructose intolerance must be excluded before a diagnosis of IBS can be made.

Symons 1992: I don't entirely understand this because it seems to be contradicting itself - or I'm just not getting it. However, this study does seem to show that IBS subjects have worse symptoms with a higher concentration of a fructose-sorbitol mixture than with a lower concentration. (Again, fructose is not studied separately.) I'm not sure what this means because my understanding is that the same would be true of non-IBSers.

Goldstein 2000: A significant percentage of both IBS patients and patients with non-IBS functional complaints had trouble absorbing fructose (44%). The malabsorption rate was much higher for lactose (78%) and a fructose-sorbitol mixture (73%). Patients reported an improvement in symptoms when the offending sugar(s) were removed from their diets.

--------------------

Further thoughts.... new
      #289509 - 11/09/06 03:30 PM
Syl

Wonderful - you read the paper! You caught an important point. Non-IBS individuals can suffer IBS like symptoms when the level of fructose gets too high. The point you seemed to have missed is that IBS suffers are more likely than non-IBS suffers to also suffer from fructose malabsorption.
Quote:

A person is considered to suffer from fructose malabsorption if s/he is unable to absorb x grams of fructose ingested over y period of time

The review paper does not give such a definition it simply reviews the current literature. It does say that "The absorptive capacity for fructose ranged from less than 5 grams to greater than 50 grams was unrelated to age or sex and was dose and concentration dependent". It goes on to cite a number of studies that show the prevalence of fructose malabsorption in the population with function bowel disorders, including IBS, is 35%-75% higher than normal.

In summary, this review paper suggests that IBS suffers are more likely than normal individuals to be a fructose malabsorber too. There are other papers that suggest IBS suffers are more likely to suffer from lactose digestion problems too. In fact there is a whole body of research that shows IBS suffers have a greater tendency to have troubles with carbohydrates such as lactose, fructose and sorbitol (simple carbohydrate) and IF (complex carbohydrates). Our community call all of these triggers. Of course there are others triggers such as fats and oils.

I know from professional diagnosis and from experience that I am an IBS suffer with fructose malabsorption. I know I have troubles with other carbohydrates too in particular IF. Also, I know from experience that I cannot tolerate 5 grams of fructose at one time. In this message I give an example of how I use this information to my benefit to decide which and how much fruit to eat.

As you know triggers do not have to be a yes or no. A trigger might not kick in until it exceeds a certain level as in the case of 'making sure to have IF with a base of SF'. Fructose and glucose work in a similar way. The paper explains this quite well.

Quote:

I do not, however, think that fructose malabsorption causes IBS nor do I believe that all - or even most - IBS suffer from fructose malabsorption.

I don't think anyone would say the fructose malabsorption would 'causes IBS'. IBS is called a syndrome because it does not have a single cause. It has many triggers of which fructose can be one. I only report my personal experience with IBS and what I read in the research literature in hope that it might be helpful to others. You can choose to not believe what you want.

--------------------

Who knows! new
      #289535 - 11/09/06 05:59 PM
Jordy

This post is making me dizzy.

--------------------

Re: Further thoughts.... new
      #289755 - 11/11/06 04:00 PM
Sand

Quote:

Wonderful - you read the paper! You caught an important point.

All by myself, too, and I didn't even need any help with the big, big words. Next week I'm going to learn my numbers and all, all, all my colors.

Geez, Syl. Patronizing much?

I sat down and I worked through your post line by line and explained where and why I disagreed with you based on what was in the Skoog-Bharucha 2004 literature review. It was fun to do but I realized it was pretty pointless. You're going to continue to draw the conclusions you want. I'm going to continue to believe the data isn't there for those conclusions.

In the extremely unlikely event that anyone else out there is interested in figuring out what Skoog and Bharucha actually say, you can read the paper for yourself right here. (Clicking on this link loads a PDF to your computer with no questions asked.) It's less than 4 pages long excluding references. The second section is entitled "Principles of Sugar Absorption" and that's somewhat technical but the rest of the paper is pretty readable. The introductory paragraph before the body of the paper is just plain English.

--------------------

Sand ... new
      #289757 - 11/11/06 04:08 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Thanks for the information and the link to it. This Wyoming mountain boy was getting confused ... again!

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Sand ... new
      #289759 - 11/11/06 04:47 PM
Syl

Oh No!

A Canadian prairie person not a Wyoming mountain boy

--------------------

Sorry you took it that way ... new
      #289760 - 11/11/06 04:50 PM
Syl

Quote:

All by myself, too, and I didn't even need any help with the big, big words. Next week I'm going to learn my numbers and all, all, all my colors.

Geez, Syl. Patronizing much?

Gosh I am sorry you took it that way because I meant it! I have not heard from anyone else who took the time to read it and research the material. I truely thought it was wonderful!

--------------------

IBS and science new
      #289825 - 11/12/06 03:47 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Sorry, Syl, but it sure seemed patronizing to me, too.

Before dragging out the different articles/studies, the general consensus was that people w/ IBS should be careful when consuming fructose, and that some people may be much less tolerant of fructose than others.

And now that we've all read the studies, the general consensus is that people w/ IBS should be careful when consuming fructose, and that some people may be much less tolerant of fructose than others.

There are all kinds of studies you can find on different aspects of IBS triggers -- including the whole fructose debacle. However, none of these studies are large enough or convincing enough or even properly-scientifically-conducted-enough to really be "proof" -- or no one would be debating it in the first place. While it is certainly interesting to discuss what new study results might mean, it really isn't going to change anything about the diet. Red meat will still be tough to digest -- caffeine will continue to irritate the gut.

I just don't find using Google to find different Internet articles to be "the science of IBS". It's misleading to try and represent something absolutely when you've only got iffy studies with small sample sizes.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: I agree new
      #289826 - 11/12/06 03:52 PM
K2

My philosophy is follow the diet properly. Trial-and-error figure out what else may be giving you problems.

If you find something to be a problem and don't understand why, then try looking it up to see if there's any answer. I just did this for MSG, I know I'm sensitive to it sometimes, and after reading information about it I understand a little bit better, but it won't change how I treat MSG (avoidance when possible).

--------------------
Kat

Gosh Jen .... new
      #289838 - 11/12/06 05:43 PM
Syl

... you have made a strong criticism.
Quote:

I just don't find using Google to find different Internet articles to be "the science of IBS". It's misleading to try and represent something absolutely when you've only got iffy studies with small sample sizes.

Google is a rather crude tool. I only use it to do preliminary research overviews. I do my primary research using much more powerful tools. I use many subscription-only on-line research databases including the ISI Web of Knowledge.. It covers research published in 15,000 plus of the topic scientific journals for the past 75+ years. I use these databases to research articles. I do keyword searches to locate potentially interesting articles and then read the abstracts. Once I locate an interesting article I use on-line journal subscriptions to retrieve the original article to archive and read.

Most of the articles I read are not available via Google .

Many of the abstracts of the articles are available on Google because abstracts are used to advertise articles.

I maintain a large digital library of original articles on IBS, bowel dysfunction and related illnesses. In fact just this afternoon I added about 15 new articles. Three articles gave compeling evidence for the use of probiotics to treat IBS. In fact in one article they described how a probiotic of Escherichia coli made such an improvement in the lining of the small bowel that it could be seen using a new technology called a Pill Cam. Three other articles discussed the gender distribution subtypes of IBS in Korea, China and Japan screened using ROME I & II and compared the findings to the rest of World. The total sample sizes in these articles were greater than 10,000 individuals. One reason I like to use review articles is that reviewers examine results from many studies effectively increasing the sample size.

Most interestingly I came across article that gives detailed dietary guidelines to manage fructose malabsorption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. I have not studied it in detail yet but I will. A quick scan seems to show it has many similarities to the EFI diet. I will report back when I know more. Here is the abstract
Quote:

Dietary fructose induces abdominal symptoms in patients with fructose malabsorption, but there are no published guidelines on its dietary management. The objective was to retrospectively evaluate a potentially successful diet therapy in patients with irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption. Tables detailing the content of fructose and fructans in foods were constructed. A dietary strategy comprising avoidance of foods containing substantial free fructose and short-chain fructans, limitation of the total dietary fructose load, encouragement of foods in which glucose was balanced with fructose, and co-ingestion of free glucose to balance excess free fructose was devised. Sixty-two consecutively referred patients with irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption on breath hydrogen testing underwent dietary instruction. Dietary adherence and effect on abdominal symptoms were evaluated via telephone interview 2 to 40 months (median 14 months) later. Response to the diet was defined as improvement of all symptoms by at least 5 points on a -10- to 10-point scale. Forty-eight patients (77%) adhered to the diet always or frequently. Forty-six (74%) of all patients responded positively in all abdominal symptoms. Positive response overall was significantly better in those adherent than nonadherent (85% vs 36%; PP<0.01 for all symptoms). This comprehensive fructose malabsorption dietary therapy achieves a high level of sustained adherence and good symptomatic response.

Reference
Shepherd SJ, Gibson PR (2006). Fructose malasborption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management . Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (10): 1631–9.

--------------------

#289973 - 11/13/06 08:15 PM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

Thanks, Syl

I have always heard BRAT-Banannas, applesauce, rice and toast for D.

I have not liked apple juice nor its smell, since my daughter was a baby. I stopped breast feeding too early, mostly due the work associated to buying and moving into our first home (I was not working so I did all the make ready stuff including painting etc.)

She went to formula and did OK, when she started to drink milk, I discovered she was lactose intolerant--not a surprise since I am at least a fourth Native American--but not thought of in time to go back to breast feeding. With every episode of D she started on apple juice and cereal in applesauce until she got better.

It was probably not sweetened applesauce, esp since she did Ok on it.

G

#289974 - 11/13/06 08:37 PM
germanicus1991

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: Fort Worth,TX

Here is a link to the description of how HFCS is made. No wonder we have problems with it, there is probably much more in it to cause problems than just the fructose.

http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html

I have been returning to cooking everything without convenience ingredients. I have even stopped buying those peeled carrots when I found out they have a preservative on them.

Do you know there is something called "Enhanced Pork" -- meat injected with a solution of water, salt, and sodium phosphate which apparantly may not be labeled as such.

There is another great website
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/default.asp
which has tons of information on the foods we cook with--it has reviews of best brands of ingredients.

Another helpful website has Recipes Clones (some are free) like one for Heinz Ketchup which can be made with IBS safe ingredients.
http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.asp
G

#290001 - 11/14/06 07:13 AM
Syl

The story you related about your daughter is interesting. It made me recall some information about fructose sensitivity and children.

Infants played a role in the identification of fructose sensitivity. Some time ago it was discovered that some infants that exhibited a failure to thrive were found to be fructose sensitive. As soon as applesauce, apple juice and other high fructose foods were removed from their diet the problems disappeared. For fructose sensitive individuals it doesn't matter if the applesauce or juice is sweetened the native fructose in the fruit would still be a problem.

The web site by Mother Linda on how HFCS is made is very informative but a bit overstated. The process she describes while it seems complicated is actually quite straight forward and she says HFCS is much less expensive to produce than sugar. On the other hand I cannot eat HFCS so no matter how it is made I see it as non-essential food

--------------------

Trying to understand new
      #290007 - 11/14/06 08:40 AM
Jordy

Quote:

Sixty-two consecutively referred patients with irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption on breath hydrogen testing underwent dietary instruction

This suggests that only people with IBS and fructose intolerance that was confirmed by a breath test were tested and had to eliminate or limit fructose.

So, you can have IBS and eat fructose just fine if you don't have fructose intolerance? Not everyone with IBS has problems with fructose? They are totally separate things?

Also, even though I have tested negative for lactose intolerance, I'm not suppose to eat it. Why is fructose different and we can eat it?

Not trying to stir the pot here....just really confused.

All and any opinions are always appreciated and welcomed!

--------------------

Re: Trying to understand new
      #290009 - 11/14/06 08:46 AM
K2

"So, you can have IBS and eat fructose just fine if you don't have fructose intolerance? Not everyone with IBS has problems with fructose? They are totally separate things?"

I don't have problems with fructose. I don't necessarily go overboard on it but I don't have symptoms after having some.

"Also, even though I have tested negative for lactose intolerance, I'm not suppose to eat it. Why is fructose different and we can eat it?"

Well, the problem is more that the lactose is in something like milk, which is in general hard to digest because of the amount of fat, other ingredients/proteins that are hard to digest. Fructose can be found in fruit, and may not be hard to digest, like apples.

Once again, I stress the trial-and-error with foods such as fruit and veggies to find out what bothers you.

--------------------
Kat

right on new
      #290011 - 11/14/06 09:03 AM
Syl

Kat - excellent advice. Sometimes the only way to figure out if fructose, or many other food ingredients, are a triggers is to use trial-and-error. It took me years of trial-and-error to figure out my triggers. However, it wasn't until I found Heather's EFI that I began to understand the role of SF & IF in IBS.

--------------------

Re: Gosh Jen .... new
      #290013 - 11/14/06 09:13 AM
Sand

None of this has anything to do with the nature of the articles you've been citing to support your contention that fructose malabsorption is "beginning to look like ... one of the most common IBS triggers."

--------------------

More information .... new
      #290019 - 11/14/06 09:40 AM
Syl

Quote:

However, in standard clinical practice, the management of IBS seldom addresses dietary fructose. Several reasons may explain this. First, fructose malabsorption may be considered uncommon and as such is a separate disease distinct from IBS. However, more than one in three adults with symptoms of IBS are unable to absorb a fructose load of 25 to 50 g and, therefore, have fructose malabsorption. Second, fructose malabsorption is not specific to patients with IBS. The limited data available suggest that its prevalence in the IBS population is similar to that in asymptomatic controls (9). As outlined earlier, the response to fructose is exaggerated in patients with IBS compared with those without IBS. Third, there are no dietary guidelines published to construct an appropriate diet. Previous dietary intervention studies have used "fructose-free" diets without describing their nature (6,7). It would be unfeasible for the dietary management of the condition to require total removal of fructose from the diet, a near impossible task because of its abundant presence in our food supply. Finally, the potential contribution of fructans has been ignored, as illustrated by a recent review (9), despite the fact that they are not digested or absorbed in the small intestine, are rapidly fermented by luminal bacteria (8,10,11,12), and can induce IBS-like symptoms by themselves (13,14).

Reference
Shepherd SJ, Gibson PR (2006). Fructose malasborption and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: guidelines for effective dietary management . Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (10): 1631–9.

I would say that one in three is rather common. And if it isn't a problem why is HFCS mentioned so many times on the main web site and in the newsletters?
The posting "Gosh Jen" addressed the unfounded claim that I was using only Google to do research about iBS. I can assure you that the claim is completely untrue.

--------------------

Re: More information .... new
      #290020 - 11/14/06 09:45 AM
K2

HFCS is not on the trigger list. Fructose is not either.

Fructose is listed as a possible problem in various questions on the FAQ section.
"recognize that their insoluble fiber (and fructose in the fruit, sulfur in the cruciferous vegetables, etc.) pose challenges to IBS folks"
High fructose corn syrup is not mentioned, but corn syrup used as a sweetner in drink is mentioned.

--------------------
Kat

Your are correct .... new
      #290021 - 11/14/06 09:50 AM
Syl

My apologies it is not on the trigger list. I will change my posting

It is mentioned 22 times a potential problem in the main part of the web site and the newsletters. It might as well be on the list.

--------------------

Re: Your are correct .... new
      #290022 - 11/14/06 10:00 AM
K2

"It is mentioned 22 times a potential problem in the main part of the web site and the newsletters. It might as well be on the list. "

LOL 22 times is a lot!

Maybe so, but I think the reason it isn't is because it's not a clear-cut trigger food. Most poeple with IBS will agree they cannot tolerate a beef hamburger or steak. Most will agree they can't drink a glass of milk. Most will agree chocolate, coffee and alcohol all affect them. Fructose does not necessarily affect everyone with IBS. Also, it may be because fructose doesn't come in a large dose with most foods, so people who eat it can that tolerate some fructose don't notice symptoms. Fructose is rarely a 'whole food' like milk or meat and so it may be hard to notice any problems from having it.

--------------------
Kat

Only 1 in 3? new
      #290023 - 11/14/06 10:08 AM
Sand

What happened to 73%?

--------------------

Funny... new
      #290024 - 11/14/06 10:09 AM
Sand

that's not what you were saying when you started all this:

Your old post
My response
Your response

And by the way?

Fructose is commonly referred to as fruit sugar. I understand this is somewhat imprecise - that is, fructose is not found only in fruits - but the two terms are commonly used interchangeably. One of my dictionaries gives "fruit sugar" as one definition of "fructose"; the other gives "fructose" as the definition of "fruit sugar".

That's been annoying me for months.

--------------------

#290026 - 11/14/06 10:16 AM
Jordy

Thank you.

I ate a peeled, fresh apple yesterday for lunch and had the most painful night I've had in a long time. Today I am extremely constipated. I just don't want to blame the apple unnecessarily.

How many times do you give a food before determining it's a problem?

--------------------

#290027 - 11/14/06 10:23 AM
K2

Well, I react pretty quickly with D to a food that causes me problems. Usually within the hour after eating it, it hits me. So I don't really need to do much trial-and-error to figure out my problem foods. I do make sure I eat completely safely all day except for that one possible problem food so I really know that was the only thing that could have affected me.

Sometimes I'll try a food on an empty stomach, and if I have D from that, I'll try it once more after a cushion of SF. It's not just about 'what you eat' but also 'how you eat it'. Especially for fruits and veggies I try to figure out how to eat them safely so that I can get the nutrients from them.

Did you eat anything else with the apple? And what did you eat the rest of the day, since you noticed the symptoms mainly at night.

--------------------
Kat

#290029 - 11/14/06 10:28 AM
Syl

You are correct again. It does not affect everyone and I have never claimed it did. I have claimed it does affect a significant number of IBS suffers - about 1 in 3.

While fructose in not a whole food is occurs in high amounts in many foods for example honey and many fruits and juices. It really cannot hurt a person to eliminate if from their diet and see if they become more stable.

It is amazing how much commotion this topic has created whereas when others post claims that lean red meat which is on the list is not a trigger or that soy which isn't on the list is a trigger they generate relatively little discussion. It seems that triggers can be an individual thing. Oh well - I guess eventually this topic will run out of steam too

--------------------

Try one of these definitions new
      #290032 - 11/14/06 10:38 AM
Syl

On-line fructose definitions. I think you will find that most of them define it as a simple sugar that occurs naturally in fruit.

As for 73% that was in a particular 2003 study .

--------------------

#290033 - 11/14/06 10:39 AM
MCV

Quote:

It seems that triggers can be an individual thing.

I think that is the main point that everyone is trying to convey. Just because fructose is an issue for you, does not mean that it is an issue for everyone with IBS. Flooding us with scientific articles is not going to make us sway to your thinking. If anything, it makes me want to leave the boards. The research should be kept on the Research Board in my opinion. I think you keep reporting conflicting research findings and it's just confusing everyone.

Personally, I have never had a problem with fructose and HFCS does not effect me. And for me, Heather's word is enough - I don't care about any of the other research until I see a cure....

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Try one of these definitions new
      #290034 - 11/14/06 10:41 AM
MCV

A number of the definitions on the list call it fruit sugar.

Quote:

Known as fruit sugar; a member of the simple sugars carbohydrate group found in fruits, honey and syrups, and certain vegetables.

Commonly known as fruit sugar, fructose differs from glucose by have a ketone group rather than an aldehydic carbonyl group attachment

Fruit sugar.

This is what we mean by contradicting yourself.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Edited by MCV (11/14/06 10:43 AM)

Re: Try one of these definitions new
      #290056 - 11/14/06 12:46 PM
Jeio

Reged: 09/28/06

Guys, get a grip! Do you really have time for a discussion like this? It's incredible (in the bad sence)!

--J

Re: Gosh Jen .... new
      #290057 - 11/14/06 01:09 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

The method you use to dig up articles wasn't really the point here. The point is that the whole "science of IBS" rarely contributes anything useful -- it's more like a shtick than anything else. This is the same reason why I dislike fiber chart debates -- at the end of the day, it changes absolutely nothing. There simply is not enough good, solid research out there to "prove" anything. Yes, the IBS studies that do exist can be interesting -- but they are not conclusive enough to use to prove your own ideas. Like the fiber charts, it just ends up confusing and intimidating people.

Okay, I'm done with this.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

I agree with MCV... new
      #290061 - 11/14/06 01:52 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Heather's word is enough for me.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

I agree ... new
      #290066 - 11/14/06 02:29 PM
Syl

Quote:

The research should be kept on the Research Board in my opinion

I agree that the science of IBS should be separate. Unfortunately, the research board is a library. Discussions and postings can only be done by the moderator.

There should be a separate place for the discussion of the science of IBS. The poll done by Heather some weeks ago suggests this community supports that idea.

--------------------

Re: I agree ... new
      #290091 - 11/14/06 05:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

... The poll done by Heather some weeks ago suggests this community supports that idea.

IMO the poll shouldn't be quoted without referencing the accompanying discussion.
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=284781&Forum=diet&Words=survey&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=284781&Search=true#Post284781

(Frankly, if I had it to do over again, this time I'd vote "no" instead of "maybe.")

And in truth, there's really nothing stopping you from having your own website and/or message board where you can have all the control you wish over what is posted and said.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Post for Syl new
      #290094 - 11/14/06 05:32 PM
Sand

I'm starting this anew because the threading has gone to pot and I can't figure out who's talking to whom. Let's see:

I don't think I got an response to this sequence about your convenient change of heart with regard to how Heather talks about fructose:

Syl post
My point

(I wasn't looking for a response on the whole fruit sugar thing. I was just annoyed you were so unpleasant about it.)

Yes, 73% was one particular study, but it's the study you used to back up your claim that "[f]ructose malabsorption is ... beginning to look like ... one of the most common IBS triggers." Your linking the study with your claim would lead most casual readers to conclude that fructose is a trigger for 73% of people with IBS. This is sloppy.

And if I may be permitted a small digression, I think you've been similarly sloppy in not making it crystal clear much earlier that you cannot tolerate even 5 grams of fructose. There is a big difference between that amount of fructose and the 25-50 grams of fructose used in the studies you cite on fructose malabsorption. Five grams of fructose is less than half an apple; 25 grams of fructose is almost 3 apples.

Quote:

It is amazing how much commotion this topic has created whereas when others post claims that lean red meat which is on the list is not a trigger or that soy which isn't on the list is a trigger they generate relatively little discussion. It seems that triggers can be an individual thing.

I don't think anyone posts that red meat is not a trigger (unless you have been). Mostly people just say, "I find I can tolerate red meat." Similarly people don't say soy is a trigger; they say, "Soy really upsets my tummy."

Quote:

Oh well - I guess eventually this topic will run out of steam too

Maybe. My guess is that what's actually going to happen is that - at a minimum - Heather is going to lock this thread.

Quote:

Quote:

The research should be kept on the Research Board in my opinion

I agree that the science of IBS should be separate. Unfortunately, the research board is a library. Discussions and postings can only be done by the moderator.
There should be a separate place for the discussion of the science of IBS. The poll done by Heather some weeks ago suggests this community supports that idea.

I don't find it unfortunate that postings on the Research Board can only be done by Heather. She provides a gate-keeping function I think is very useful. There's a lot of junk passing itself off as science floating around out there.

There is no problem with science being discussed on this Board. People drag in references all the time. This is not a Science Board, though. This is a Board about using Heather's guidelines to manage IBS and about people's personal experiences with IBS. Heather's, as in her list Soluble Fiber foods, lots of water for IBS-C, no dairy or red meat, and be careful with acidic foods, sulfurous foods, and fructose. Personal, as in, "I have a lot of trouble with fructose" not "Most IBSers have a lot of trouble with fructose."

At the same time, there is absolutely no reason in the world why you cannot start your own forum - a blog, a Website, a Yahoo group - and discuss your version of the "Science of IBS" until the cows come home. You could start a thread on the Diet Board directing people to your site. This way Heather could post in that thread with all the necessary disclaimers to avoid the nasty liability issues that GaiasSong so cleverly thought of. Once your thread on the Diet Board exists, you could bump it once a month, once a week, once a day so new people would know about it. This way, you get your discussion area, Heather doesn't have the risk or the extra work, and anyone who wants to hear what you have to say knows where to find you.

--------------------

Post for MCV new
      #290095 - 11/14/06 05:36 PM
Sand

Quote:

Flooding us with scientific articles is not going to make us sway to your thinking. If anything, it makes me want to leave the boards.

I know, me, too. But please don't. Things will calm down. I'm done with this topic and I'm going to take a break from the Diet Board for a few days and try to find my temper. (I know I have it here somewhere.) When I get back, I'm putting Syl on my Don't Read List. Once I stop challenging her, things will get better. After all, as Ursula LeGuin says:

Quote:

To oppose something is to maintain it.

So please stay.

--------------------

Post for Jeio new
      #290096 - 11/14/06 05:38 PM
Sand

Quote:

Guys, get a grip! Do you really have time for a discussion like this? It's incredible (in the bad sence)!

Great post. I am hereby going to locate a grip.

--------------------

Thanks for trying to help me, Kat new
      #290100 - 11/14/06 06:02 PM
Jordy

I think I ate safely the rest of the day.

I had white bread with turkey, pureed unpeeled cooked zucchini, then the peeled apple. I had SFS before the meal.

Then I had some Puffins cereals Puffins for a snack...which I have had tons of times before.

For dinner I had cooked squash, cornmeal cajun catfish from Heather's book, sweet potato french fries.

Piece of bread with almond butter (I have this lots too).

I drank peppermint and fennel tea too.

How does it look? I just don't want to blame the apple right away...ya know. I'll try another one if I start feeling better.

--------------------

What does Heather say about fructose? new
      #290101 - 11/14/06 06:04 PM
Jordy

I looked on the diet section, but couldn't find anything. But she does have pears in her example menus in her book.

--------------------

Re: Thanks for trying to help me, Kat new
      #290122 - 11/14/06 07:56 PM
K2

I'm at a loss..
If you eat all the same things tomorrow, and cut out the apple.. and if you feel ok, then I'd blame the apple. If you still aren't feeling well, I'd think it's either too much IF or fat or something. Almond butter and french fries could be too much fat.

It's hard to figure out what affects you if it doesn't hit right away, but keep trying!

--------------------
Kat

Re: Post for MCV new
      #290133 - 11/15/06 06:00 AM
MCV

I won't leave - these boards have helped me too much!! But, like you, Sand, I am done with this particular discussion.

I think we all just need to agree to disagree and go on our merry way

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Thanks for trying to help me, Kat new
      #290143 - 11/15/06 07:12 AM
Jordy

Thanks again. I have eaten that dinner before (and the almond butter afterwards) and have been fine. I make the oven fries myslef, so can control the amount of fat. Perhaps it was too much fat for that day, though.

I'll keep trying!

--------------------

I think that fructose is a trigger for some folks... new
      #290190 - 11/15/06 11:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If they're fructose intolerant (and not everyone with IBS is) then they may have a hard time with even small amounts.

For most IBS folks, fructose is only a trigger in larger amounts - and, fyi, fructose is a hard to digest sugar for everyone. That's why things like bottled apple juice, which is sky high in fructose, can give diarrhea and gas to people who don't even have IBS.

If you're not fructose intolerant, you should be just fine having the amounts of fructose that occur naturally in whole foods such as fruits and honey. Having them with soluble fiber will help (and you'd need it for the insoluble fiber in fruits anyway).

Trust your own body. If you can't tolerate any amount of fructose, avoid it. If you can safely eat fruits when you follow the EFI guidelines, then do so, as you'll get all kinds of nutritional benefits.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: appleswith NO SKIN new
      #290193 - 11/15/06 11:25 AM
Joannelcoq

Reged: 10/16/06
Loc: Long Island, NY

I was told my my gi guy and many people, eating apples with skin is a trigger. I know it make my husband run to the bathroom and he does not have IBS. I peel my apple first.

Thank you! new
      #290194 - 11/15/06 12:02 PM
Jordy

I shall try the apple and a pear again. Hopefully, I will be able to eat them.

--------------------

It seems everyone is different new
      #290197 - 11/15/06 12:22 PM
Jordy

Since some D folks have posted that they can eat apples with peels just fine. Have you ever tried it with the peel?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65403

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review