All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: I agree ... new
      #290091 - 11/14/06 05:11 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

Quote:

... The poll done by Heather some weeks ago suggests this community supports that idea.

IMO the poll shouldn't be quoted without referencing the accompanying discussion.
http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=284781&Forum=diet&Words=survey&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=284781&Search=true#Post284781

(Frankly, if I had it to do over again, this time I'd vote "no" instead of "maybe.")

And in truth, there's really nothing stopping you from having your own website and/or message board where you can have all the control you wish over what is posted and said.

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Post for Syl new
      #290094 - 11/14/06 05:32 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm starting this anew because the threading has gone to pot and I can't figure out who's talking to whom. Let's see:

I don't think I got an response to this sequence about your convenient change of heart with regard to how Heather talks about fructose:

Syl post
My point

(I wasn't looking for a response on the whole fruit sugar thing. I was just annoyed you were so unpleasant about it.)

Yes, 73% was one particular study, but it's the study you used to back up your claim that "[f]ructose malabsorption is ... beginning to look like ... one of the most common IBS triggers." Your linking the study with your claim would lead most casual readers to conclude that fructose is a trigger for 73% of people with IBS. This is sloppy.

And if I may be permitted a small digression, I think you've been similarly sloppy in not making it crystal clear much earlier that you cannot tolerate even 5 grams of fructose. There is a big difference between that amount of fructose and the 25-50 grams of fructose used in the studies you cite on fructose malabsorption. Five grams of fructose is less than half an apple; 25 grams of fructose is almost 3 apples.

Quote:

It is amazing how much commotion this topic has created whereas when others post claims that lean red meat which is on the list is not a trigger or that soy which isn't on the list is a trigger they generate relatively little discussion. It seems that triggers can be an individual thing.

I don't think anyone posts that red meat is not a trigger (unless you have been). Mostly people just say, "I find I can tolerate red meat." Similarly people don't say soy is a trigger; they say, "Soy really upsets my tummy."

Quote:

Oh well - I guess eventually this topic will run out of steam too

Maybe. My guess is that what's actually going to happen is that - at a minimum - Heather is going to lock this thread.

Quote:

Quote:

The research should be kept on the Research Board in my opinion

I agree that the science of IBS should be separate. Unfortunately, the research board is a library. Discussions and postings can only be done by the moderator.
There should be a separate place for the discussion of the science of IBS. The poll done by Heather some weeks ago suggests this community supports that idea.

I don't find it unfortunate that postings on the Research Board can only be done by Heather. She provides a gate-keeping function I think is very useful. There's a lot of junk passing itself off as science floating around out there.

There is no problem with science being discussed on this Board. People drag in references all the time. This is not a Science Board, though. This is a Board about using Heather's guidelines to manage IBS and about people's personal experiences with IBS. Heather's, as in her list Soluble Fiber foods, lots of water for IBS-C, no dairy or red meat, and be careful with acidic foods, sulfurous foods, and fructose. Personal, as in, "I have a lot of trouble with fructose" not "Most IBSers have a lot of trouble with fructose."

At the same time, there is absolutely no reason in the world why you cannot start your own forum - a blog, a Website, a Yahoo group - and discuss your version of the "Science of IBS" until the cows come home. You could start a thread on the Diet Board directing people to your site. This way Heather could post in that thread with all the necessary disclaimers to avoid the nasty liability issues that GaiasSong so cleverly thought of. Once your thread on the Diet Board exists, you could bump it once a month, once a week, once a day so new people would know about it. This way, you get your discussion area, Heather doesn't have the risk or the extra work, and anyone who wants to hear what you have to say knows where to find you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Post for MCV new
      #290095 - 11/14/06 05:36 PM
Sand

Quote:

Flooding us with scientific articles is not going to make us sway to your thinking. If anything, it makes me want to leave the boards.

I know, me, too. But please don't. Things will calm down. I'm done with this topic and I'm going to take a break from the Diet Board for a few days and try to find my temper. (I know I have it here somewhere.) When I get back, I'm putting Syl on my Don't Read List. Once I stop challenging her, things will get better. After all, as Ursula LeGuin says:

Quote:

To oppose something is to maintain it.

So please stay.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Post for Jeio new
      #290096 - 11/14/06 05:38 PM
Sand

Quote:

Guys, get a grip! Do you really have time for a discussion like this? It's incredible (in the bad sence)!

Great post. I am hereby going to locate a grip.

--------------------

Thanks for trying to help me, Kat new
      #290100 - 11/14/06 06:02 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I think I ate safely the rest of the day.

I had white bread with turkey, pureed unpeeled cooked zucchini, then the peeled apple. I had SFS before the meal.

Then I had some Puffins cereals Puffins for a snack...which I have had tons of times before.

For dinner I had cooked squash, cornmeal cajun catfish from Heather's book, sweet potato french fries.

Piece of bread with almond butter (I have this lots too).

I drank peppermint and fennel tea too.

How does it look? I just don't want to blame the apple right away...ya know. I'll try another one if I start feeling better.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

What does Heather say about fructose? new
      #290101 - 11/14/06 06:04 PM
Jordy

I looked on the diet section, but couldn't find anything. But she does have pears in her example menus in her book.

--------------------

Re: Thanks for trying to help me, Kat new
      #290122 - 11/14/06 07:56 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm at a loss..
If you eat all the same things tomorrow, and cut out the apple.. and if you feel ok, then I'd blame the apple. If you still aren't feeling well, I'd think it's either too much IF or fat or something. Almond butter and french fries could be too much fat.

It's hard to figure out what affects you if it doesn't hit right away, but keep trying!

--------------------
Kat

Re: Post for MCV new
      #290133 - 11/15/06 06:00 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I won't leave - these boards have helped me too much!! But, like you, Sand, I am done with this particular discussion.

I think we all just need to agree to disagree and go on our merry way

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Thanks for trying to help me, Kat new
      #290143 - 11/15/06 07:12 AM
Jordy

Thanks again. I have eaten that dinner before (and the almond butter afterwards) and have been fine. I make the oven fries myslef, so can control the amount of fat. Perhaps it was too much fat for that day, though.

I'll keep trying!

--------------------

I think that fructose is a trigger for some folks... new
      #290190 - 11/15/06 11:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If they're fructose intolerant (and not everyone with IBS is) then they may have a hard time with even small amounts.

For most IBS folks, fructose is only a trigger in larger amounts - and, fyi, fructose is a hard to digest sugar for everyone. That's why things like bottled apple juice, which is sky high in fructose, can give diarrhea and gas to people who don't even have IBS.

If you're not fructose intolerant, you should be just fine having the amounts of fructose that occur naturally in whole foods such as fruits and honey. Having them with soluble fiber will help (and you'd need it for the insoluble fiber in fruits anyway).

Trust your own body. If you can't tolerate any amount of fructose, avoid it. If you can safely eat fruits when you follow the EFI guidelines, then do so, as you'll get all kinds of nutritional benefits.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 65959

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review