--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can anyone feel it when... new
      #28893 - 11/25/03 08:44 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Yup - I know exactly when one is about to happen. I start to get a very uncomfortable feeling in my tummy, sort of like pressure is building up. I also start to pass a lot of gas.

--------------------
- Jennifer

#28899 - 11/25/03 08:59 AM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

I can usually feel an attack coming on because i get pain, nausea and i get hot even if it's cold around me.

#28900 - 11/25/03 09:13 AM
tholley

Reged: 11/10/03

When you can feel an attack coming on is there anything that you can do to stop it?

#28923 - 11/25/03 10:17 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Ohh yes, I know when an attack is coming on. I get this strange rumbling in my intestines that tells me I'd better beware. I usually pop some pepto bismol right away. Sometimes I catch it in time the discomfort doesn't turn into anything bad, but most of the time it's too late by the time I get that feeling.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28929 - 11/25/03 10:26 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

I get rumblings and abdominal pain when mine start too. I take a librax, brew some chamomile tea and get some soluble fiber in :some times it works or ususally not as bad. A bad one for me will be bad no matter what I do! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#28933 - 11/25/03 11:29 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Yup. The full feeling, sore back, grumbling tummy, hot flushed face, gas and just overall blah feeling. Sue

#28934 - 11/25/03 11:46 AM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

Always! I also get the abdominal pain,and sometimes nausea,can vary.I usually increase my water intake,and mint tea intake,which i drink gallons of every day anyway.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't!

--------------------
Morven

I'm like you... new
      #28949 - 11/25/03 01:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

once it's coming there isn't much I can do to stop it. I usually only get about 30-60 seconds between the onset of rumblings and abdominal pain before the pain gets so bad I can't move, breathe, speak - anything. Once that happens I'm just stuck - literally - and hopefully I've made it to a bathroom in those 60 seconds, or I'll be blacking out wherever I happen to be.

If I can get some really strong, hot, peppermint tea into me right away, that will sometimes head things off or at least keep the pain less severe. It also seems to lessen the duration of an attack. If I can take a Roxilox (a prescription pain killer) that will kick in in about 40 minutes, and will help. But if the attack gets severe before then I'll just end up vomiting from the pain so the pill is not really an option.

Chewing Altoids can head things off too - that has saved my life a few times when I've been in the car and got suddenly hit. I think I've eaten about 12 of those things in a few minutes - but it worked.

I really wish the pharmaceutical research for IBS was in a direction of finding a drug to halt an attack quickly once it's started. Preventing things I find is a much better way to go, and I can do that pretty well with diet, soluble fiber, herbs, yoga, etc. I don't want a daily maintenance drug when I don't need a drug every day, and that's where all the research is. I want a drug that I can take only as needed, that will instantly stop the pain and stabilize my gut. I'd really love something that's an inhalant - I don't have the time or ability to swallow a pill and wait for it to take effect. Even the sublingual pills that dissolve under the tongue take too long. I don't have 15 minutes when I'm passing out from pain. The only other instant-drug I can think of would be an injection, and that's totally not practical. So, that's my IBS research fantasy, which I'm sure I will never, ever see come to market!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#28974 - 11/25/03 02:11 PM
paininthebumper

Reged: 11/06/03

Absolutely, I agree with everyone here regarding the gas, pain, cramping etc... Rather than hot, I get COLD I mean really cold and it lasts for the duration, sometimes days. I usually get warning of bad, long lasting attacks by the dizzy spells and strange numbness in my right arm/hand which are only present at those times. The dizzy spells may be worse than the attack?! They present real problems trying to live "normal" when you can't walk or see straight But the biggest precursor of all... the monthly... brings on a big one every single month, without fail. The only good thing with that is one can certainly plan for it. Diane

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1798 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2751

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review