All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Diet high in refined sugar linked to kidney cancer
      #287693 - 10/24/06 10:05 AM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

I just saw this article on yahoo today. Yikes for all of us loading up on bread/pasta/soymilk!
Yahoo!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet high in refined sugar linked to kidney cancer new
      #287750 - 10/24/06 03:29 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

I have always thought sugar was not good for you. It is also a "grain" by the way, and our grains have been found to be found to have aflotoxins (fungal toxins)in them according to JAMA 2002. I'm betting the reason they are finding that people can develop a cancer from eating foods high in sugar, grains etc. is because those foods feed a fungus which mimics the symptoms of cancer, UC, etc. Just my opinion, but I was very interested in the research you mentioned....

Food groups and renal cell carcinoma: A case-control study from Italy new
      #287754 - 10/24/06 04:04 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I wouldn't put too much faith in the very brief description of the article given in the Yahoo! News.

Here is the last sentence taken directly from the article
Quote:

Our results confirm that diet may play a role on the risk of RCC [renal cell carcinoma], and in particular, a moderate cereal and high vegetables consumption may have a favorable effect on this neoplasm [cancer]

and it clearly says
Quote:

No relation [increase in RCC] was found for coffee and tea, soups, eggs, red meat, fish, cheese, pulses, potatoes, fruits, desserts and sugars.

It goes on to say
Quote:

The results of the present study - based on one of the largest case-control investigations on RCC - provide several interesting indications on the dietary correlates of this cancer in a southern European population. A direct association was found for cereals, mainly bread, while inverse relations were reported for vegetables and various types of meat.

With reference to cereals, increased risks were found for increasing consumption of both bread, and, to a lesser extent, of pasta and rice. No significant relation was found for potatoes, another important source of starch, although their risk estimates were compatible with a modest increased risk. To our knowledge, no other study investigated the role of cereals on RCC [renal cell carcinoma".

Neither the Yahoo News or the actual article said anything about the harmful effects of refined sugar

Reference
Bravi, Bosetti et.al (2006) "Food groups and renal cell carcinoma: A case-control study from Italy", International Journal of Cancer, Forthcoming

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#287756 - 10/24/06 04:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Just fyi, breads/pastas/potatoes/soy milk are NOT refined sugars. Some of them may add refined sugars, but you'd see that in the list of ingredients. All those foods are complex carbs, whereas sugar is a simple carb.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#287833 - 10/25/06 07:40 AM
gregory wayne

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: MEMPHIS, Tennessee

thanks From what I have read that is correct. It is helpful to read these things. Much public confusion abounds. Gregory@ St jude hospital, memphis

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 566 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 976

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review