All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Survey! Would you like a new discussion board devoted to the science of IBS?
      #284781 - 10/01/06 03:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - we've had a suggestion for creating a brand new board that would be devoted to the discussion of scientific research and studies that relate (directly or indirectly) to IBS. There would likely be no limitations on what type of studies are discussed, as long as they somehow pertain to IBS or IBS symptoms.

We already have a research library forum here on the boards, but it's not a discussion board, it's simply a library of all current research I come across that relates to IBS. The new science board would be open for questions/comments on these studies, or on other studies that somehow relate to IBS.

Would you like this board? Would you participate? Could you not care less? Do you think this would be a bad idea? Why? Please take the poll and give me your feedback!

Would you like a new board devoted to the discussion of scientific studies pertaining to IBS?
Yes - good idea!
Maybe - I wouldn't participate but I can see the value for others
No - bad idea!

View the results for this poll

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm of 2 minds on this one new
      #284790 - 10/01/06 04:44 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I can definitely see the value of it, for people who have questions and need clarification directly related to specific studies - questions like that do come up from time to time.

However, I can also see the potential for a LOT of confusion with people new to the diet, and also the potential for a lot of drama... yes, being on that board and participating in discussions is optional, but I've been on message boards for enough years to know that not everyone who should stay away, will.

I will definitely not read or participate in such a forum, personally.

I don't know why that would go on this Website. new
      #284857 - 10/02/06 07:49 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

There are other IBS Boards available where the discussions seem to be totally wide open plus it's always possible to start a Yahoo Group or even a blog to discuss this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Heather ... new
      #284874 - 10/02/06 09:29 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I found this site by accident and since that time, and since following your books and the diet outlined I consider myself stable. I can function in my life, at home, at work, and in the church because I have followed and continue to follow the guidelines that you have set down in terms that I can understand and put to use. I am once again living my life without ibs being the dominate factor.

If I wanted to flood myself with scientific details I certainly could find them else where on the internet. Here I find the thoughts and ideas of those who have ibs, and cope with it and still live their life. I wouldn't care for a site that argued the fine points of ibs, and the science that goes with it. Here I have found help, hope, and have been inspired by the many who post here.

A new board for questions and comments on the science of ibs? I don't need it. I need help with this diet that works, with recipes, with the inspiration that I get from the many who post how they have overcome their problems, and the posts that help us all understand that we are not alone. That there are others who understand what is happening to us - to me.

A science board. No thank you, but thank you for thinking about it. I can only foresee a board where there are fiery discussions and arguments on a site where as it now stands supports your approach to dealing with ibs. This is a positive place to come and talk about the needs and problems associated with ibs.

Now again, thank you Heather for the time and effort that you have put into helping all of us cope and deal with ibs. I say all of us, but I really mean me …thank you for helping me live with ibs.

I am truly in your debt. I pray that our Father in Heaven will always bless you. JJ

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I'm of 2 minds on this one new
      #284876 - 10/02/06 09:40 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

As long as it is a separate heading at the top, just like Yoga for IBS etc. I don't see that it would be confusing to newcomers. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. I won't use it, but for those of the ultra seeking it's a place to air ideas.

Re: I'm of 2 minds on this one new
      #284880 - 10/02/06 09:53 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I agree sort of. I won't participate in it, but I think it would give those who want to delve into the more scientific aspects of IBS a place to discuss their findings without upsetting or offending those of us who aren't concerned about these things. The only problem I can foresee would be if there are any arguments or disagreements, they may spill over to the other boards. It sounds like a good idea, but I'm on the fence.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Thank you so very much... new
      #284888 - 10/02/06 11:32 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I have to say that comments like this are giving me a very persuasive reason to NOT start the science board.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

My 2 cents...... new
      #284907 - 10/02/06 01:56 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I have mixed feeling (as it could be interesting to those that have the "scientist" in them....) but my vote is NO, even as a long time user of these boards, I can say that when I come to a post like that with all the numbers and terms that I have NO CLUE what they mean....I just get frustrated, I don't just hit the back button and go to another post, but rather I click on the X in the corner and leave the website all together and come back later... it hurts my brain just thinking about it...

Even if WELL MARKED, I'm afraid that new people will still end up there and post a "basic" question and then will either get NO response or they will get one that has WAY TOO MUCH info and it will cause them to either think the diet is really hard, stress about it, make things worse.....and in the end leave the website and not give the EFI diet a real try... and THAT would be SAD!!

That's my 2 cents.....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: I have a feeling.. new
      #284908 - 10/02/06 02:14 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

From everyone's responses to this, I have a feeling this message board will end up being quite empty. It will have a few people interested in the scientific studies, but not enough people to really talk and share ideas about it. This leads me to believe that these types of posts will end up coming back to the main Eating for IBS Diet board, where there is a lot more traffic. I did enter a "yes" vote but after seeing all the feedback, I'd change it to a no.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Survey! Would you like a new discussion board devoted to the science of IBS? new
      #284916 - 10/02/06 02:34 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Even though I'm an engineer by profession, I don't think I would contribute to a "scientific board." Normally I would be the type to want to see all the numbers and calculate everything out, but in this case, I really don't care. The "non-scientific" information I've found on these boards over the last three months has been life-changing. I KNOW that white rice won't give me gas or a stomach ache; I couldn't care less how much IF it contains!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4647

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review