All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
I miss pooping. :o(
      #28287 - 11/21/03 12:45 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

No doubt, pooping is a favorite pasttime of mine. It borders on orgasmic! This is probably because I have been deprived of it for so long... haha.

I have been sticking to my diet, but I have been getting more and more constipated with each day. I think I may be a little impacted or something. What can I do to get everything flowing again? Maybe some Milk of Magnesia? I am doing everything else right... there is really now explanation for my current attack... Thanks, guys.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I miss pooping. :o( new
      #28298 - 11/21/03 01:46 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Oh sweetie, I feel for you, I am also IBS C. Be sure you have incorporated enough insoluble fiber into your diet and that you are drinking a ton of water, very hard to do when you feel full of poop! I find for more immediaite relief a glycerin suppository works wonders! It took me a while to work up the nerve to actually use one but its not that bad and I uaually go with 10 minutes!! They are not as addictive as oral laxatives and don't cause as much cramping either. If you just use them once in a while my DR said they were fine! Feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#28299 - 11/21/03 01:48 PM
Shanna

what type of supository is that? where can i buy it? is there a brand name you use? thanks! s

--------------------

#28300 - 11/21/03 02:05 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Shanna, have you ever had a sitz marker test done?

"Measuring Colonic Transit Time

Question
Are there any other means of identifying slow transit time than use of radiopaque markers?

Stam Tsoris, MD

Response from Yehuda Ringel, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Staff Physician, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina Hospital, Chapel Hill

Measuring colonic transit time is useful in evaluating patients with constipation, abdominal bloating, and refractory irritable bowel syndrome. It provides quantitative information about colonic transit, enables the identification and characterization of transit abnormalities, and allows assessment of the severity of the problem as well as the response to therapy.

Colonic transit time has been traditionally measured using radiopaque markers. The technique is simple and inexpensive and can be performed in any radiology department. Radiopaque markers may simply be cut from radiopaque tubes (eg, Levin tubes) or obtained commercially. Several methods have been suggested, including the single-marker bolus technique (ingestion of markers on a specific day followed by several x-rays until all markers are passed) or multiple-marker bolus technique (ingestion of markers each day for several days followed by a limited number or a single abdominal x-ray). Overall, radiopaque markers have been widely used to measure colonic transit. This technique provides valuable clinical information and has been proven to be reliable and reproducible. However, this test has a relatively long duration (5-7 days) and requires the patient to abstain from laxatives, enemas, and other medications known to affect gastrointestinal motility. These drawbacks have led to a desire to develop alternatives to this study.

Colonic scintigraphy can be used as an alternative to the radiopaque marker technique for measuring colonic transit time. This test involves administration of radioactive isotope and following its progression through the gastrointestinal tract with a large-field-view gamma camera. The test uses long half-life radionuclides indium 111-diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid (111In-DTPA) or iodine 131.[1-3] A shorter half-life isotope, technetium 99m, can be added to measure gastric and small bowel transit. Several methods have been used to deliver the isotopes to the large intestine. These include using activated charcoal or a pH-sensitive methacrylate-coated capsule that dissolves and releases the isotope at alkaline pH in the distal ileum[4] or simply dissolving the isotope (111In-DTPA) in water. Overall, scintigraphy has been shown to be a reliable alternative for accurate quantitative measurement of colonic transit time. This technique may also provide additional information on segmental colonic transit. However, despite attempts to simplify the techniques and make them more applicable for clinical use, measurement of colonic transit time by scintigraphy is not yet widely available in clinical laboratories.

Posted 11/07/2003"

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/463895

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Is exercise an option? new
      #28308 - 11/21/03 02:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Just taking a really brisk walk around the block is often enough to get the bowel muscles stimulated. And drinking water of course - but you already know that.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#28314 - 11/21/03 02:44 PM
Shanna

yes... apparantly i have a very slow transit time, and in addition sometimes my colon just shuts down.

--------------------

Re: Is exercise an option? new
      #28316 - 11/21/03 02:45 PM
Shanna

Heather... I have been doing those things. Thanks for the tip, though!

--------------------

#28331 - 11/21/03 07:16 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Shanna, how about a hot/warm bath? I know it's used to relax the tummy, but it might help you go. I do this for my kids when they have a hard time going. Maybe a little cranberry juice? Hope you get some relief.

wheat and yogurt? new
      #28335 - 11/21/03 07:43 PM
Shanna

thanks -- i will give it a try. THIS IS SO WEIRD... maybe I am developing an intolerance to wheat and yogurt? they are the only things in my diet that IBS sufferers usually don't eat. i used to be able to tolerate them, but maybe not anymore.

--------------------

#28341 - 11/21/03 08:52 PM
LillibetM

Reged: 10/22/03

Heather, with all due respect, I don't think you understand this type of constipation. I walk 3 miles every day, drink more water than a camel (to quote my husband), yet I still suffer. I won't even go into my diet which does not contain any junk food, and does contain a lot of soluble fiber.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 84670

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review