All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I found out what happens when you don't stick to your diet
      #28275 - 11/21/03 11:34 AM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

I encourage everyone to stick to your IBS diet. I tried to see what would happen if I started adding things like coffee, sodas, etc. Not only did I start having some IBS attacks again and other problems, but I gained back a whole lot of the weight I had lost as a bonus due to the diet. Now I'm overweight and uncomfortable again. I'm trying to get back on my diet and get the IBS under control again. It's hard, though. I could use some support and cheerleading to go back to my stricter diet again. One thing I did do was buy some herbal tea for work. Now please hide the coffee pot from me! Thanks. Martin (Marty) B.

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I found out what happens when you don't stick to your diet new
      #28278 - 11/21/03 12:03 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

It's too funny because I am sure everyone of us have been the same as you...Oh I can have pop...did it all the time before and then Wham-O.

I feel for ya! You can do it...just tell yourself it's not worth the pain and suffering those foods cause...that's what I did...and it helped me alot.

Stick in there...you have lost the weight once you can do it again! Good for you, by the way!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#28279 - 11/21/03 12:06 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Marty: I know you can get back on track and will feel a whole lot better! Maryh

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#28285 - 11/21/03 12:31 PM
Chelsea22

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Virginia

Hi Martin,

Please don't beat yourself up about coming of the "IBS diet wagon". Sometimes when we have been feeling especially well, we want to experiment with those food items that we feel deprived with. This is a very normal reaction to always long for a more normal way of eating & drinking the way others can. Also one should keep in mind that most of our trigger foods (like sodas/caffeine) are unhealthy for our bodies overall. Think of this setback as a positive learning experience that will help you to make wiser choices ahead. The good thing is that you can make the choice today to begin to feel well again by getting back on our smart eating plan. I know you can do it!

#28286 - 11/21/03 12:41 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

It takes 2 weeks for your intestines to build new, healthy lining. So, after two weeks of "safe" eating, you should be back to normal!

Hook 'Em, Ag! (haha, j/k)

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Martin, if you email your picture to me.. new
      #28307 - 11/21/03 02:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I can crop and re-size it so it shows up perfectly. You've posted such a cute pic!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#28326 - 11/21/03 06:35 PM
mercyboxfan

Reged: 11/12/03
Loc: South Carolina, USA

I have recently done the same thing, falling off the wagon. And boy, do we pay. It helps me when I tell myself that the great feeling and releif that I get when I am on the diet is much better than a soda tastes for a few minutes.
Good Luck!
Anne Marie

#28349 - 11/21/03 09:58 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The way I stick to the IBS diet is I have conditioned myself to think first and foremost of the pain and misery a trigger food will cause me, rather than thinking about how wonderful that food will taste.

Associating the trigger food with pain makes me fearful of eating that food and eventually nothing in this world will get me to eat it.

Perhaps it's like receiving a painful electrical shock and lingering burns every time you turned on a TV set. Soon you would think of that shock whenever you thought of the TV set and you would probably become fearful of turning the set on. Eventually you might never again turn on the set because the thought of the shock and burns would supersede any thought of the enjoyment you would get from watching that TV set.

I hope this provides some food for thought for avoiding the trigger foods!

Belinda

#28636 - 11/24/03 08:07 AM
ag5t

Reged: 03/11/03
Loc: Houston, Texas

Thanks everybody! Your positive comments and support have inspired me. The first thing I did was print a copy of The 10 Commandments of Eating for IBS. I put a copy at work and one at home. Thanksgiving will give me a good chance to get back on track - the IBS recipe book has some great suggestions for stuffing and other foods for Thanksgiving. I also plan on maybe getting a notebook or planner and writing down diet plans and also tracking what foods/drinks might be upsetting me. --- The other day on the way home from work, I saw a Latino Fusion restaurant that had a sign reading 'just in - Chilean Sea Bass.' Seems like I've seen that food mentioned somewhere before. -- [To Shanna: even though I'm an A&M grad, I'll have to go with UT this Thurs, don't think it will be 77-0 though!]

--------------------
Amateur radio IS a contact sport!

Smart Man... Go horns! -nt- new
      #28673 - 11/24/03 11:54 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2042 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1310

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review