All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lactose Intolerance.....
      #27991 - 11/20/03 05:27 AM
Bourget

Reged: 07/16/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

So my doctor says I am lactose intolerant...but I wonder, I notice IBS patients have a hard tiem with protein, so would it be that its a problem with both?
My big question is: does the lactose pills help you to eat dairy products?
I noticed there is lactose in a lot of stuff: ketchup chips, cake mixes etc. So since I was todl to have a pill before eating anythign with Lactose, then I would have one before having chips? right? ( i know I shoudln't eat chips...but there has to some exceptions....lol)

Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose Intolerance..... new
      #27992 - 11/20/03 05:31 AM
Bourget

Also, my doctor is schedulign a barium enima to see what's going on and possibly a xray (where you eat food and they watch it go down). And then take it from there.
She's concerned about the bleeding, but sicne it doesn't last long, she feel ok with it...but want to check everything out.
Oh and she says I'm lactose intolerant as well as having the protein problem...the protein intolerance was noted a long time ago.

Thanks for eveyone's help

Jennifer

#28002 - 11/20/03 07:27 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

People with IBS usually have problems with lactose and dairy, I haven't heard of protein being a common problem, I personally eat a lot of protein but it sounds like you have a sensativity. I don't think taking the lactose pills will help. Hopefully Heather will have something more to say.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#28008 - 11/20/03 08:01 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

If it is the milk proteins that are bothering you, the pill won't help.

I am both lactose intolerant AND can't digest the milk proteins, which is part of my IBS. So you can have one or both... you don't have to be LI to not be able to eat dairy.

I eventually gave up dairy. It was a hard thing to do, but I feel much better now. The pills were not the answer for me.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

#28016 - 11/20/03 08:22 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

I'm lactose intolerant and hae a bit of reflux. I eat alot of protein too. But if my reflux acts up I have a hard time digesting the protein. I've been condsidering a digestzyme to help but I'm not to knowledgeable on this and don't know where to start. Good luck with the test and hope you get a speedy recovery for the bleeding and so forth.
Sherri

#28033 - 11/20/03 09:07 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm the same way as Shanna. I've been lactose intolerant for years, and for a long time the Lactaid pills did the trick. I was even able to drink that Lactaid milk with no problems. Then all of a sudden my IBS got worse, and I haven't been able to tolerate even lactose-free products since. So it totally depends on your own body. I hope you figure out what works for you!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#28051 - 11/20/03 09:59 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I'm severly lactose intolerent, the pills do nothing at all for me (even taking the maximum of Ultra Lactaid). If you think of it this way though, most people of the world cannot tolerate dairy. Therefore it's "weird" to be able to drink milk! I say forget the dairy, and just get soy products instead.

--------------------
IBS-C

#28077 - 11/20/03 11:16 AM
Bourget

Yeah, my doctor feel sits both LI and the protein. But I though maybe I'd try the pills and see...I don't know.
I am so sensitive to dairy products....I feel its more dairy than anything else. Its the one thing in my diet I know that effects me everywhere, not only with my IBS, but also with my asthma and rhinitis.
When I was younger, I had to stop dairy because my doctor at that time said I was allergic. That was when I was starting at age 8.

I'm hoping the pills will help, but I guess I look at it, if they don't help, they won't hurt me. If they help, it'd be one step closer to feeling better.

Jennifer

#28078 - 11/20/03 11:20 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'd really urge you to avoid dairy completely. It's not just lactose that can cause GI upsets - it's casein and whey (dairy proteins) and the high fat content of most dairy.

If you were allergic to milk as a child, it would have been the proteins you were allergic to.

Try using soy/rice substitutes for dairy, and just eliminate all dairy from your diet altogether. Dairy is just one of the biggest all-around triggers for IBS for just about everyone.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#28112 - 11/20/03 04:51 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I completely agree.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1264

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review