All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What Fiber supplements are best?
      #2779 - 03/14/03 01:43 AM
Judith

Reged: 02/18/03

Hello again. I'm a British sufferer with IBS and some of the names like metamucil etc are confusing. I'm currently on something called Fybogel - its an orange flavoured drink made from something called Ispaghula Husk. The doctor put me on it in an attempt to control cramps and gas but I'm not sure if I see an improvement. I was just wondering whether Ispaghula Husk is good for that or if I should be asking for a supplement with different ingredients.I'm seeing the doctor on Monday so I'd like to be prepared this time so he doesn't fob me off. Thanks a lot - judith xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What Fiber supplements are best? new
      #2801 - 03/14/03 10:42 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Judith - There have a been a lot of posts on this topic. What you've been given is another name for psyllium - sold as Metamucil in the US. Unfortunately, psyllium is one of the few soluble fiber supplements available in the UK, but it's the one most likely to cause gas and bloating.

Another UK person on the board had good info about a product called Celevac - here's the earlier post web page. I would really recommend that over anything with isphagula.

For info on dosages and taking soluble fiber, check here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2802 - 03/14/03 10:49 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hurray, someone else from the UK! (much as I love every one else from the US, Canada, Oz etc!!!) I've been on Fybogel for about 3 months - lemon is by far the nicest, it's a bit like drinking real lemonade - and although I didn't find it worked at first, after taking it regularly for a couple of weeks it really kicked in. I take one a day after breakfast, and I find I get no bloating during the day and I go to the toilet fairly regularly as well. It really seems to help by keeping my tummy full, although I had to get used to drinking a lot more water or I found I got a bit blocked up, shall we say! If I have a bad d-attack, I'll take a sachet to settle me back down.
Are you taking anything else, like peppermint oil? My doctor prescribed me those as well, and I find between them my day to day life has been a lot more predictable. Let me know how you get on
Take care
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#2812 - 03/14/03 12:24 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

We seem to only have Metamucil available in Canada. I have been on it a month and have had little trouble. I take it before I go to bed and it helps the next morning. I did though have bloating and cramps when I first started- I guess my system has adjusted.

Still gassy! new
      #2816 - 03/14/03 12:55 PM
Judith

Reged: 02/18/03

Hello all!(again) I've been on fybogel for a wee while now and like I've said havent really noticed an improvement. it's just all getting soooooooo depressing - Ive cut out dairy and followed the diet, taken charcoal, drank fennel and peppermint tea etc and the fennel seemed to work for a while but I'm still unbeliviably gassy. It feels like no matter what I eat it transforms into chronic gas, bloating and cramps. I've now bought some peppermint capsuales but they are the one a day variety - do these work at all for gas? Also does fybogel really worsen gas ? - I get so confused as the doctor put me on them to stop the gas problem. Aaaarrgggghhhhh!!! Does anyone know of any other remedies or tactics? Any information would be really appreciated as I'm feeling so low at the moment. Cheers - judith

Re: Still gassy! new
      #2826 - 03/14/03 01:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I would definitely try the Celevac - some people just never adjust to psyllium, especially if they're already prone to gas and bloating.

Also, make sure you're working up to a high enough dose of the soluble fiber supplement. Many people simply don't take enough for it to really work well. The link for the dosage info is web page

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Still gassy! new
      #2828 - 03/14/03 01:51 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Judith,
I take Colpermin peppermint oil capsules that are coated so they dissolve further down in your system, and you are meant to take them about an hour before each meal, but I find one before breakfast is enough. The doctor will prescribe you them if you ask, because they are a lot cheaper. I bought a pack of 20 i think for about a fiver ($8) but had a prescription of 84 for £6.30 ($9ish).
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 623 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2319

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review