All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Food conflict question
      #275514 - 07/24/06 06:49 PM
lschweitzer

Reged: 07/23/06
Loc: San Luis Obispo, CA

Herbs, tomatos, nuts, onions and cheese are just a few offlimit foods yet they appear in many recipes. I am confused about what I can fix for my hubby. Can you help me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food conflict question new
      #275550 - 07/25/06 02:45 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi, when you say offlimits do you mean because of the ibs diet?
any dairy or meat (except chicken turkey fish- I think that's all the exceptions) you should just leave out all together however
things like tomatoes which are insoluble fiber are alright to have if you have them with a soluble fiber (pasta, rice, bread etc- see the list on this site) base
hope this helps some
Godbless
Vicky
xxx

#275551 - 07/25/06 04:22 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Is your husband a c or a d? I am a d, and I never use any diary product, or any kind of nuts. No caffine and no soda. They all just really tear me up. I am able to use herbs, tomatoes and onions carefully ... with plenty of sf. I think that you will have to experiment a little to find what things your husband can eat, and then stay away from those trigger foods. First get him on the diet and stable. Then add one food item at a time.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

I can't do oregano at all, but other herbs with SF and in moderation new
      #275554 - 07/25/06 06:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

are fine.. so are tomatoes.. Onions if they are VERY WELL cooked are ok, otherwise forget it...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

This is where it's not just what you eat, it's HOW you eat... new
      #275594 - 07/25/06 10:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the foods you list (except cheese) are not off-limits, they just need to be eaten carefully, according to the guidelines. The recipes give good examples of that.

There is no dairy in any of the recipes - if you see chese listed, it's soy or rice or almond cheese.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#275686 - 07/26/06 06:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's the reply I promised you.

The terminology can be a little confusing because a lot of foods can trigger an attack if eaten without a Soluble Fiber base. However, there are only 4 trigger foods (The Big Four) that must be completely eliminated:
- red meat
- dark meat poultry and poultry skin
- egg yolks
- dairy

There are also irritants that are best avoided totally: caffeine, alcohol, MSG, coffee (even decaf), artifical sweeteners, carbonation, and for a lot of people HFCS. (web page)

In addition, your husband should eat low-fat, but not no-fat. Fat can be a terrible IBS trigger, but eliminating it completely is simply not healthy, so the trick is to eat it in moderation. Heather recommends no more than 25%. I can eat that much and even a little more, but some people on the Board do better at 10-15%. It's a matter of finding what works for him.

Everything else, including herbs, tomatoes, nuts, and onions your husband should be able to eat, provided he does so safely - which means with a good Soluble Fiber base. (web page) Some types of food can be harder to handle than others - sulfurous foods like onions, for example - but this is a very individual thing. I can eat almost anything except the Big Four trigger foods and the irritants. (web page)

All of the recipes on the Recipe Index should conform to the EFI Diet Guidelines, although some of the desserts may be higher in fat than 25%. Eat those in moderation after a low-fat, high SF meal and it should be fine.

You really can't understand the basics of the EFI Diet by just reading the Message Boards - you need to read what's on the Website outside the Boards. Here are a couple of links that might help:

EFI Diet Guidelines in less than 100 words

EFI Diet in a million words or more (lots and lots of reading) - I say in here to get hold of a copy of "The First Year - IBS" either at your library or by buying it. I really think it helps. The Diet information is all on the Website, but I find it really helpful to have it all laid out in step by step form.

In general, my advice would be start as simply and safely as possible and expand from there. This is where knowing whether your husband is C, D, A, or P would be helpful. If he's D, you can stick more to the SF side for longer (although he shouldn't avoid IF indefinitely). If he's C, it's more important to add more IF sooner. Here's an old post I did with links to even holder posts that talk about how and what I ate when I started out. Remember I'm IBS-D, so if your husband is IBS-C (or possibly A), he may need more IF sooner than I did.

web page

I don't mention it in these old posts, but now I would highly recommend Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread for breakfast. I put off making it for ages because I could never seem to get enough ripe bananas. I finally gave up and made it with banana baby food. Yummy, very low fat, and very soothing.

I hope some of this helps. It can be confusing and overwhelming learning all this new information - for the first 3 months I was on the EFI Diet I felt like I was running as fast as I could just to stay barely caught up - but the results were more than worth it for me.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I EAT EGG YOLKS! new
      #275870 - 07/27/06 11:14 AM
Hypnogal

Reged: 03/17/03

I eat egg yolks. Not Alone. Not regular eggs. / SUPER omega 3 eggs...25% less sat fat, tons of vitamin E and lots of good healthy inflammatory fat. I eat them always AFTER white rice or some other soluble fiber. I NEVER eat more than ONE egg yolk per meal (5gms of fat/not alot) and I NEVER EVER eat them first or alone or in any other form but HARD BOILED...and this works for me. ANYONE ELSE OKAY WITH EGGS - LIMITED as to how cooked / type and amounts? Why do I do this? I have a condition (like) IC...and I cannot take a regular multivitamin...and need b-vitamins, zinc, folate and LOTS of other good stuff in egg yolks / not in egg white. Anyone else?

Re: I EAT EGG YOLKS! new
      #275939 - 07/27/06 04:31 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I eat a whole egg (w/5 whites) every morning for breakfast. No problems for me!

--------------------
Kim

#275956 - 07/27/06 06:31 PM
GaiasSong

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: SC (IBS-D/P) - STABLE! Spring 2007

lschweitzer, I am generally okay with nuts and onions, as long as I don't overdo. One thing noticeable about those two, though, is that I never eat them on their own. The nuts I usually eat in oatmeal or a sweet bread/cake (soluble fiber), and my onions are usually sauteed and combined with soluble fiber such as rice, potatoes, and other things. Even a small portion of raw onions can be "cooked" in lemon juice to calm them down, but keep in mind the acidity of lemon juice itself may be a trigger for some. It is a lot to have to deal with, I know... I'm still trying to figure out whether I can/can't eat a lot of things. And there again, you can always purchase Heather's books and have them right in your kitchen (which I plan to do immediately, next time I'm not broke. )

--------------------
Check multiple sources and make the best-informed decision possible!

#275969 - 07/27/06 07:19 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

I once was given a peruvian breakfast recipe, which I really love and it was then I discovered "onion baths". You slice an onion VERY thin and bathe the slices in ice water for several minutes. Then put a little lime juice on them (and you *can* put a bit of olive oil too) and mix that. Serve on toast with salt and pepper. It's delicious and it took the "gastric" thing out for me. I do not get heartburn with onions done this way.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 955 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review