All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
How long have you had IBS? Poll
      #274870 - 07/19/06 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You may also add on when you first sought treatment and when you started the IBS diet if desired.

How long have you had IBS?
less than 1 year
1 to 2 years
2 to 5 years
5 to 10 years
10 to 15 years
more than 15 years

View the results for this poll

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

19 years! Eek! new
      #274895 - 07/19/06 07:47 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had IBS symptoms since I was 12. I had other GI symptoms (upper GI) earlier than that, but I've since realized that they were mostly related to generalized anxiety disorder, which I've had since I was 6 or 7.

I've been on Heather's diet since April or May of 2004 - a couple months before I registered for the boards. I've been stable since June or July of last year.

28 years here....... new
      #274899 - 07/19/06 08:14 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I first experienced severe IBS symptoms after a hysterectomy in 1980. I had mild symptoms before that but when the doc did the surgery he did an exploratory of my bowels and that sort of broke the dam. Pure hell from then on.

Until I found Heather's diet I had not found much long term relief from meds or docs in general. Started the diet May of 2005 and I guess felt "stable" around November. At least that's when I discovered that I wasn't pre-planning every move away from home.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Edited by franny (07/19/06 08:15 PM)

22-28 years new
      #274900 - 07/19/06 08:17 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Well I was first diagnosed at age 11 which would be 22 years. Had symptoms that I can remember as far back as age 5. I feel like I've done my time - maybe I can be done with this now?

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

12 years - nt - new
      #274905 - 07/19/06 09:01 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Since Summer 2004 new
      #274912 - 07/20/06 03:13 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..so just two years, I got diagnosed in the August

--------------------
S.

Probably 10-15 years new
      #274916 - 07/20/06 05:24 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I can remember some IBS-like attacks now & then in college and grad school, but I didn't have lots and lots of attacks until late 2004. I found this place in early 2005 and started following the IBS diet almost immediately. I am much, much more stable than I was a year ago.

well.. new
      #274920 - 07/20/06 05:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I put 5-10 years because thats when I started seeking treatment and was diagnosed... but I've probably had it for 20+ years... scary!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: How long have you had IBS? Poll new
      #274988 - 07/20/06 11:14 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Do you want to know when we were diagnosed or how long we've had symptoms? Because I was just diagnosed in January, I started having major symptoms in Sept 05, but I've had digestive problems all my life, 5-6 yrs old (mostly C until recently). I just never realized it until I was diagnosed w/IBS-A, then I started putting it all together. So I'm not sure which date to go by!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#275022 - 07/20/06 01:29 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've had it all my life, just like my mom and grandma. There have been times when it goes away for as long as a couple of years, but when it comes back my symptoms are changed. (Ah, the nausea years, the constipated but not crampy years, the crampy years, the A years....)

I didn't discuss it with a doc until 8 years ago. When she said "IBS", I remembered my mom having it when I was a kid. After some frustrations with other IBS books, I read Heather's stuff and was converted instantly! Since it's been a lifelong, non-crippling condition for me, I just do the diet + hypno and have not seen a GI.

--AC

I was diagnosed four years ago new
      #275037 - 07/20/06 02:57 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

and that is when things got really bad, but I had the occasional attack or two (urgency, complete evacuation, etc.) at least once or twice a year going back at least ten years.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Since '93 new
      #275050 - 07/20/06 04:00 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

That is when I started having major problems and finally saw a dr. I was diagnosed fall of '94. So going on 12 years officially. If you ask my grandma she'll say forever, I've always had tummy troubles! I started the diet ~5 years ago, but fell off of it for a while and have been back on it stricter since Feb 06.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Since 1979 (I was in the fourth grade) new
      #275062 - 07/20/06 04:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Sought treatment right away, got less than nothing from my pediatrician. Finally got diagnosed by a different doctor in the 10th grade, but wasn't given any treatments beyond a children's antispasmodic.

Took about another four years after that to really nail down the dietary changes that would help (or hurt) me, and that was on top of the six years already spent trying to figure that out.

Good news is I've been very stable since then, so that's probably at least fifteen years of having things under control.

Man, I feel old now!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Since 1968 new
      #275134 - 07/21/06 08:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Since 1968! However, my mother told me that as an infant I had difficulties with milk and other foods. I had many diagnoses ranging from depression to hypoglycaemia. I did not get an IBS diagnosis until 1988. It was until this year that my major trigger - fructose was discovered. Now that I have removed fructose (honey, fruits, HFC and others) and use lactase to handle lactose intolerance I am able to identify individual triggers like MSG, soybean oil, etc.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (07/21/06 05:39 PM)

#275148 - 07/21/06 09:44 AM
New Cook

Reged: 05/10/05

I am a 72 year old man, widowed recently, and first had a bout with diverticulosis May 2003. My doc got me thru that but the next winter I got acid reflux which evidently caused my IBS-D. The first doc a saw told me it was colitis -he was an older fellow (older than me). I went on the internet and found Heather's site (God Bless you, Heather) printed out the Cheat Sheet and bought her book and started following advice closely. Started getting better in about six months then took the Cheat Sheet to a younger doctor who totally agreed it was IBS not colitis and then made copies of the Cheat Sheet for other patients wwith similiar symptoms. I don't post much but read others daily as there are excellent suggestions that have helped me. I have found that after almost two years w/IBS-D I can eat very small (4 oz) portions of extra lean red meat once or twice a week but never two days in a row. After reading what others post, I consider myself extremely lucky to have eaten what I wanted to for 70+ years - some of you folks look and sound young and I can wish you luck thru-out the rest of your lives.
Greatgranda' John

7 years new
      #275170 - 07/21/06 01:50 PM
Jennifer Renee

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Florida, USA

Since I was 15! I got my true diagnosis only a couple of years ago, but when I was 15 and they started all the testing they said "if we don't find anything, it's ibs" However, the docs still aren't convinced it's not Crohns and make it a habit of testing me for that.

--------------------
~*If you can dream it, you can do it*~ Walt Disney

14 years new
      #275189 - 07/21/06 07:16 PM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

I've had stomach problems ever since I can remember. I began having medical tests in 4th grade. Diagnosed with IBS-D at age 18 in 1992. Diagnosed with GERD and H. Pylori in 1996. Diagnosed with depression and anxiety disorder in 1996. After years of prayer, therapy, medication, and diet modification, most days I am "normal."

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

#275192 - 07/21/06 07:32 PM
plaedes

Reged: 07/21/06

My mom tells me all my life. I cannot remember a time when I didn't alternate between constipation and diahrrea. In a sense it was at least regular because it was like clock work one then the other. In 2nd grade I suddenly could no longer eat eggs anymore. I vomit within 30 minutes of eating eggs. Does anyone else have that problem? It isn't a food allergy, my body just doesn't like them. I have never been officially diagnosed, but have described my symptoms to 3 different doctors that all agree that is what I have. Family history dictates it as well. More people in my family with than without it!

thanks for the comments! new
      #275283 - 07/22/06 07:40 PM
Little Minnie

I am a little surprised so many have been stricken for more than 15 years.
I know I had C like crazy as a little kid and much of that because I didn't want to go sometimes; it also seemed like even then I couldn't just say 'hmm I think I have to poop' and go do it, but instead felt yucky on a very regular basis. Cheese was a huge culprit. Then at about 15 I started getting occassional really bad D with nausea that seemed like food poisoning some of the time. By 18 I had IBS on a more regular basis. I went to the doctor for it when about 20 but had no insurance and received no help whatsoever. I made myself much worse through my own ignorance. I have been on Heather's diet for almost 2.5 years. I have seen improvement but unfortunately I am far from cured and often feel like I can't bear it much longer. I wish a cure could be found! Even when I am regular (with no C or D) I am very often bloated.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: 17 LONGGGGGG YEARS! -nt- new
      #275357 - 07/23/06 05:31 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Also 17 Years! new
      #275376 - 07/23/06 10:14 PM
Camryn

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: Canada

I was diagnosed at twenty but it got *much* worse about a year and a half ago and that's when I really started to change my diet.

8 years new
      #275382 - 07/24/06 05:18 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

My symptoms started 8 years ago. They have gradually gotten worse since then. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

3 years new
      #275535 - 07/24/06 08:53 PM
czukster

Reged: 04/07/06

3 years, had been leaning towards the IBS diet previously (started cutting out cheese, milk) but really started in earnest 8 months ago. Have had a much better time since and if I don't I know exactly why. I've come a long way but there's still a lot further to go. (Getting more insoluble fiber in the diet as an example.)

results new
      #276234 - 07/29/06 06:40 PM
Little Minnie

Over 15 years was definitely a winner. It shows what a resource we have here of so many seasoned veterans able to give advice and assistance. 2-5 years was next and then 5-10 years.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1491 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review