All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need help from parents of ibs kids
      #272810 - 07/06/06 02:22 PM
snoopy101

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Michiana USA

My 4yr dd has been complaining of her belly hurting for the past 2 weeks. She is fine and in good spirits otherwise. She hasn't vomited, been lethargic, had a fever, or anything else that would suggest a stomach flu.
She has had an urgency to use the bathroom, and has peed her pants and sheets a few times, but doesn't have a UTI.
The doc poked around her belly, and said that she doesn't appear to be constipated/impacted (and her bms are normal).
He gave her some zantac a week ago thinking maybe she has a sour stomach.

I made up a pain scale for her using smileys and she is saying that it is about a 3-4 on a 1-5 scale.

I can't seem to find a pattern to her pain.

When asked where does it hurt she points to her belly button, but I am starting to think that her logic says, "my belly is behind my belly button" so she points to her belly button when asked, "Where does it hurt?"

The closest answer she has been able to provide is that she ate too many waffles. And she is very adament that it is her belly that hurts. I asked her if it hurt up by her ribs/chest area, on her sides, down in her lower abdomen/pelvic area, but she is certain that it is her belly.

My dh has gut issues. He has never been diagnosed with having ibs, (he has never been diagnosed with anything aside from heartburn) but he has often mentioned that he feels that he has D and gas & bloating.

I realize that y'all can't just give me a diagnosis. I am just baffled as to what is wrong with her and am hoping that someone can offer some suggestions on what to do.

I am wondering what questions to ask her and what questions to ask the doctor.

I am also wondering where to start since we don't seem to know what is wrong.

I am taking her back to the doc on Monday. I am hoping that he will run some test, but aside from a stool sample I don't know what test to ask for.

--------------------
Wife to a teriffic husband. Mother to 6 awesome kids.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need help from parents of ibs kids new
      #272812 - 07/06/06 02:43 PM
Abigail

Reged: 03/12/05
Loc: Orlando,FL

Hello Snoopy,

Sorry to hear about your little girl. I have a 7yr old girl and I know how you might be feeling as a mother. Have you notice any changes in her bowel movements(BM)? Does she still have a good appetite? IBS is usually related with changes in the bowel and stool. I hope she starts feeling well really soon. Keep us posted.

God bless you,
Abi

--------------------
The joy of the Lord is my strength !

#272817 - 07/06/06 03:39 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Hi, sorry to hear your little one is having pain. I know when I was younger I had stomach pain/discomfort that I couldn't explain. I did have normal BMs and not much in the way of digestive problems. Around 10 years old I finally complained enough to see a doctor, who dismissed me by saying I'd probably get my menstrual cycle soon and it's just cramps (yeah right....) It wasn't until my teen years that it really became apparent that I had digestive problems. So even if it is 'just' her stomach hurting, you are doing the right thing by trying to get to the bottom of this.

I'm not sure what sort of tests to ask for from the doctor. You could start by reading this website, and getting familiar with IBS, the symptoms, the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber, and trigger foods. Finding if any foods are affecting her may help. Has she had any food intolerance tests? That may be something to look into.

Hope she starts feeling better soon,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

There's a list of questions to ask the doctor on the site here... new
      #272830 - 07/06/06 04:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/questions.asp

There's diagnostic info about IBS and what has to be ruled out first right here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp

That should get you started. You might also try to get to a pediatric gastroenterologist if the family doc doesn't seem to be able to get a firm diagnosis for you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#274737 - 07/19/06 09:46 AM
snoopy101

Well, it has been a month now since my dd first started feeling yucky.

This morning she was getting dressed and boom she was a mess. She has an appointment with the pediatrician next week. That appointment seems so far away when she has moments like this morning.

The doc (family physican) ran some stool test on her, and I haven't heard anything, so no news is good news I guess.

He didn't want to run any blood work, rather wait for what the ped recommends (didn't want to have to stick her twice).
He said that an appointment at Children's is atleast 40 days out, so to just wait and see what ped recommends.

With her being so young doc figured that we would start at the least intrusive and work our way up.

I have seen this ped. before and she is a nice gal. Hopefully we can start to figure something out.

I feel so helpless as a mommy.

--------------------

#274821 - 07/19/06 02:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Have you tried removing milk products and food items with high fructose (eg. honey, apples & pears and anything that contains apple and pear juices, all melons, corn syryp, etc)?

Lactose and fructose problems have been seen in young children. In fact fructose malabsorption was first identified in infants in the 1990s who were drinking fruit juices.

Here is a scientific paper that reviews the current understanding about fructose malabsorption that you can give to your doctor if you want

Skoog, S. M. and A. E. Bharucha, 2004: Dietary Fructose and Gastrointestinal Symptoms: A Review. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 99, 2046-2050.

http://www.bashaar.org.il/files/101022005111814.pdf

Here is a web site with more information about fructose malabsorption.
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=3ke3ibblxqgjh?dsid=2222&dekey=Fructose+malabsorption&sbid=lc02b&linktext=Fructose%20malabsorption

If you do try removing milk products and fruits/vegetables high in fructose and it works please tell us. It took me 28 years to identify my fructose problem.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Edited by Syl (07/19/06 02:11 PM)

Please call your family physician and ask for a copy of the test results. (m) new
      #274840 - 07/19/06 02:38 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

No news is almost certainly good news, but it's better to make sure. And a hard copy of the test results is a good idea - sometimes doctors' staff misreads something, so better to look for yourself. Also, if your daughter is going to end up seeing multiple doctors, it's always nice for you to have a copy of all her test results in case they don't get forwarded along in a timely fashion.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Please call your family physician and ask for a copy of the test results. (m) new
      #275165 - 07/21/06 01:24 PM
snoopy101

The doctor did call last night, and she doesn't have anything.

Next Wedensday is the visit with the peditrician.
Thanks for the suggestion to carry the records with me. I will do that.

I noticed that one of the elimantor test is to test for gluten intolerence. So that will probably be one of the next test we do.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1353

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review