Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Thanks, Gracie. -nt- new
      #273276 - 07/10/06 07:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

They are two different things - but you can have both... new
      #273347 - 07/10/06 12:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

IBS can coincide with just about every other digestive (or non-digestive) disorder out there. Find out if you have SIBO, and if you do get treated for it. Hopefully, that will be all she wrote, and you will be cured.

If, however, you also have IBS, you can get rid of the SIBO but you'll be left with IBS because it's functional, not bacterial. A lot of people with one digestive problem end up developing IBS as a result, because IBS can start after any kind of insult to the gut. (Just about everyone with inflammatory bowel disease, for example, tends to develop IBS as a direct result.) So, you can cure the original problem, but be left with the IBS.

Hopefully that is NOT the case with you, and once you get rid of the SIBO you won't have any symptoms or other problems left.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: They are two different things - but you can have both... new
      #273390 - 07/10/06 03:35 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

More and more doctors seem to be coming around that SIBO plays a bigger role in IBS than most believed. Hopefully this isn't "bunk" but something that can definitely help IBS patients. There is a lot of evidence that says that this is helping quite a few IBS patients. Stay tuned.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

I think they'll find a decent number of people who were told they have IBS... new
      #273404 - 07/10/06 04:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

but they really have SIBO. But I don't think that they'll find that SIBO is the same thing as IBS, or that everyone who has IBS really has SIBO and will be cured with a run of antibiotics. There's too much research supporting IBS as a distinct brain-gut dysfunction at this point, and also too many people with an IBS diagnosis who do not fit the bill for SIBO (and who do not get better with antibiotics).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#273415 - 07/10/06 06:29 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Thanks all of your for the detailed information, I really do want to thank you for sharing all of this with me.

I still am unclear however that because the breathe test was positive, does this mean I do have SIBO from it?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#273418 - 07/10/06 06:45 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You need to discuss this with your doctor in detail.

That I don't know. Your doc should. -nt- new
      #273527 - 07/11/06 12:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3342 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11992

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review