All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
I DID IT!! (Ordered My First Can Of Acacia Tummy Fiber )
      #272027 - 07/01/06 04:34 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I can't wait to try it.... hope it works for me... I would LOVE to save money on FS... that is my main reason for finally giving in...LOL A bottle of Citrucel pills (90 count) was only lasting me 6 days at $16.32 per bottle including tax and I wanted to increase my FS too.... dang...at $0.18 cents per pill (2 pills = 1 gram fiber... so I'm only getting 7.5 grams per day now....I need a little more still)...I'm going broke!! So, I'm really hoping that the Acacia works for me!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I DID IT!! (Ordered My First Can Of Acacia Tummy Fiber ) new
      #272028 - 07/01/06 04:37 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Good for you Shell. Welcome over to the other side, LOL! I love acacia. I have no problems taking it and it is so easy. Now if Heather can come out with acacia in pill form it would be perfect.

Have a great weekend!

--------------------
Janey

#272032 - 07/01/06 04:43 PM
Shell Marr

yes, the pill form would be GREAT this is going to be a big adjustment (remembering) for me...cuz right now... I take 5 pills (in the car, I keep a bottle in there) on the way to the office, 5 pills (in the car) in the parking lot at the beginning of my lunch hour and 5 pills at home before dinner, I have a bottle in my pill bucket with the other stuff like vitamins, glucosimin...etc, that I take then too. And they are so easy to throw into a baggie for my purse if we go somewhere.... so, while I was REI today...I bought some little 2oz containers with flip tops so that I can use those for travel and also another larger one with a screw top to take to my office...I will just have to mix and drink before I leave for lunch each day...should not be a big deal. Usually my only hot meal is my oatmeal at 10:30am and only sometimes is my dinner hot to try the "sprinkle method" lol I'll play with it...I'll find something to make it work!!

--------------------

#272039 - 07/01/06 05:08 PM
Janey

It will be an adjustment but once you get into the habit it will be easy. I put mine in my oatmeal in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon I will make a smoothie and put it in. Honestly, after my morning dose sometimes I forget or I am not home and am not in a situation where I can take it in something. When I was working I would put acacia in my hot tea or in a plastic container with chilled tea.

--------------------
Janey

Acacia Tummy Fiber in Water new
      #272049 - 07/01/06 06:21 PM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

I put mine in water...it makes it really easy for me. =) It takes a little bit not to be clumpy, but that is fine with me.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Re: Acacia Tummy Fiber in Water new
      #272054 - 07/01/06 08:12 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I put mine in water...it makes it really easy for me. =) It takes a little bit not to be clumpy, but that is fine with me.

Can you give me example of how much YOU are using (grams) and how much water with it.... just to get an idea...

--------------------

#272055 - 07/01/06 08:13 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

It will be an adjustment but once you get into the habit it will be easy. I put mine in my oatmeal in the morning and sometimes in the afternoon I will make a smoothie and put it in. Honestly, after my morning dose sometimes I forget or I am not home and am not in a situation where I can take it in something. When I was working I would put acacia in my hot tea or in a plastic container with chilled tea.

How long were you able to keep it mixed with the chilled tea? Did it ever thinken up on ya?

--------------------

#272064 - 07/01/06 08:52 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Shell I do mine a little different. At home I have these little 1/4c plastic containers with lids. I use 1T of acacia with the rest of the cup with juice or other cold liquid (Acacia works better in cold then hot/warm liquid). I stir it gently but let it sit about 15 min (do my hair or brush my teeth) then it's good to go. I mix up 3 at a time and keep them in the frig for morning and evening (1T in each small cup) never had one get thick. For travel I use the containers that my husband gets his diabetes test strips in, a 35mm film canister would work too. Then when I'm away I buy juice to put each dose in. Heather explained in another topic that 1T=6gr. Oh and I also order 3 bulk bags at a time and store one bag at a time in a sealed jar. It is so much cheaper than the other products that I was buying.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

I use it and it's fantaaaaastic!!! *nt new
      #272078 - 07/01/06 11:00 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#272116 - 07/02/06 09:54 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I haven't tried it yet either, but I think I will in August. I just have something coming up where I can't be in the between stage trying to adjust to a new fibre supplement.

Amount new
      #272137 - 07/02/06 11:03 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

Well, for me, I've been doing about 16 oz (or more) of water with about a 1T of acacia. I honestly do fine this way, but you might want to start out less and build up.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Re: Amount new
      #272142 - 07/02/06 11:48 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Well, for me, I've been doing about 16 oz (or more) of water with about a 1T of acacia. I honestly do fine this way, but you might want to start out less and build up.

I think I will start with 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon (8 grams) per day since that is just .50 grams more then what I'm taking now....then increase from there....

--------------------

#272200 - 07/02/06 06:24 PM
Janey

Shell,

I put the acacia in first and then add the tea. I find this makes it easier to mix. When I was working I put these in a little Rubbermaid condtainer with a flip top that I could drink out of. Acacia never thickens so no worries with that. YOu just have to shake it really good to mix.

I think you will find that it is easy. I don't like to drink it in plain water because it has a taste that I don't like. It really is almost taste free but there is something that bothers me about the non-taste in water. If that makes sense.

--------------------
Janey

#272212 - 07/02/06 07:55 PM
Shell Marr

yes Janey... that makes sense...thanks!

--------------------

Super easy! new
      #272266 - 07/03/06 07:16 AM
JJBean

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Buffalo, NY

I mix mine in a travel mug of tea in the morning (I put the acacia in first and then a few tablespoons of cold water just to get it mixed a little then add the hot water and tea bag). I also mix up a thermos of hot tea with acacia which I drink after lunch and then I have one last dose in hot tea before bed.

It's so easy! I'm up to 2 1/2 teaspoons three times a day and I think I'll stay there for a while.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-D and STABLE!!!!

Re: Super easy! new
      #272293 - 07/03/06 09:22 AM
Shell Marr

Oh, that is easy!! Thanks!!

--------------------

#272741 - 07/06/06 07:18 AM
Shell Marr

WWWWoooohhhhooo... my Acacia came!! I'll start very soon!!

--------------------

#272745 - 07/06/06 07:29 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Shell, you're going to LOVE it! (I didn't realize you hadn't been on it all along.)
I can't imagine (IBS) life without it now.

--------------------

#272751 - 07/06/06 07:56 AM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

i just ordered mine on tuesday. hope it works for both of us!! i know what you mean about the cost of fiber...holy toledo batman!

#272761 - 07/06/06 08:37 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell, you're going to LOVE it! (I didn't realize you hadn't been on it all along.)
I can't imagine (IBS) life without it now.

Hi Auntie Kandee.... nice to see ya on the boards...!!

Nope... I've not tried it yet cuz I REALLY like the pill form..it is just such a no brainer for me. I JUST read the Acacia container and realized I only have to take this TWO times a day instead of 3..Woohhooo!!! So, now I don't have to worry about having it at home, car, & office!! I can do it at home or office in my oatmeal and then at home with dinner!!! I'm so excited. Now, off to figure out the math and make sure I start out with approx the same dose per day as I'm taking now...

--------------------

#272762 - 07/06/06 08:39 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

i just ordered mine on tuesday. hope it works for both of us!! i know what you mean about the cost of fiber...holy toledo batman!

Good luck!!

--------------------

#272791 - 07/06/06 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

OK, I did the math... I need to use 2 teaspoons (4 grams) two times a day to get my 8 grams to replace the pills....

I just mixed my first dose in my oatmeal... SO EASY....and the best thing... it did NOT change the taste or texture of it AT ALL....

Wish me luck that my tummy likes it now....

--------------------

I keep the can next to the stove and add it to everything I cook... new
      #272795 - 07/06/06 11:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

partly so I'm always getting extra soluble fiber, but also because I like a lot of the ways it works with food. It emulsifies oil and water, so I used it to make a salad dressing with just a little olive oil and some lemon juice.

I love to bake with it, because it keeps cakes fresher and moister. It gives a really silky feeling to textures, too, which I like in things like soups and puddings.

My weirdest trick is to sprinkle it over an Amy's soy cheese pizza before I bake it. It melts into the cheese and disappears!

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I was wondering about the cheese thing... new
      #272796 - 07/06/06 12:04 PM
Shell Marr

I was wondering how it would turn out if I sprinkled it on my turkey pattie before I put the slice of soy cheese on it..if it would melt in or absorb into the meat. It is a frozen turkey pattie, so I can't mix it into the pattie... if not, then I will just sprinkle it on my little side of veg baked beans...hehehe

--------------------

#272803 - 07/06/06 01:32 PM
polly2004

Reged: 05/30/06
Loc: Minnesota

you too!!

EXAMPLE OF THE MONEY YOU CAN SAVE USING ACACIA!! new
      #272826 - 07/06/06 04:25 PM
Shell Marr

EXAMPLE OF THE MONEY YOU CAN SAVE USING ACACIA!!

For me personally (8 grams) I just went from $2.70 per DAY (Citrucel pills), to $0.24 per DAY....

WOW!! Cool I can save the other $2.46 per DAY for the next time we go to Vegas!! LOL

I love you Heather!!

--------------------

Shell, you are too much!!! -nt- new
      #272827 - 07/06/06 04:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I keep the can next to the stove and add it to everything I cook... new
      #272844 - 07/06/06 07:50 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I must have mis-understood ... I thought that you had to add Acacia to cold food items ... not to warm. I can bake with it?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I keep the can next to the stove and add it to everything I cook... new
      #272853 - 07/06/06 09:00 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I must have mis-understood ... I thought that you had to add Acacia to cold food items ... not to warm. I can bake with it?

There is lots of great info here... web page and here web page

But here is a little quote...

Quote:

"Should I take Acacia in hot or cold liquids? In foods?"
Heather's Tummy Fiber™, like all soluble fiber supplements, needs plenty of water in order to work properly. Take each dose of Acacia fiber with an 8 ounce glass of water (more if you like), and make sure that you're drinking a bare minimum of 64 ounces of water daily. Helpful herbal teas like fennel, peppermint, and chamomile will count towards your water intake. You can also add Acacia directly to your herbal teas, or sprinkle on any moist foods, such as cereals, pastas, puddings, etc. You can add a few tablespoons of Acacia to many recipes as you cook to get extra soluble fiber in your meals. This works very well with soups, rice dishes, casseroles, hot cereals, and more.

Acacia dissolves best in cold or warm - not hot - liquids. It's very helpful to add Acacia to your empty glass first, and then add the liquid, stirring with a fork as the liquid fills the glass. If the Acacia does not dissolve completely right away, simply let the glass sit for about 30 seconds, and then stir again.

Acacia dissolves well in both cold and hot moist foods. Very hot or boiling hot liquids are problematic, as Acacia is a cold-water soluble gum. If you wish to have Heather's Tummy Fiber™ in a very hot beverage, you can dissolve it first in cool water and then heat the liquid to make your hot drink, or you can let a hot beverage cool to drinking temperature first before adding the fiber supplement. If the liquid is still quite hot when you add the Acacia, it works well to blend it in with a fork instead of a spoon.

--------------------

Thanks, Shell ... new
      #272854 - 07/06/06 09:11 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Guess I should have done a little research...

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#272928 - 07/07/06 01:10 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Reading your post and the others gave me the push I needed to order also. I have been using Benefiber pills, then started adding Fiber-sure at different times. After reading one post, realized that Fiber-Sure causes bloating, which I had been feeling since adding the Fiber-Sure. But thank goodness for the fennel tea! It's a lifesaver! I'm anxious to get my Acacia so I can get started on it.

I also didn't realize it is a probiotic also. I have just started taking Probiotic Defense - can I quit that once I get going on the Acacia?

Thanks for all the help!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#272932 - 07/07/06 01:19 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The Acacia is a PREbiotic, and helps the effectiveness of a PRObiotic. Keep taking the Primal Defense, and the acacia might help make the most out of it.

I've always been a supporter of the Acacia fiber, hope you like it too!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: I was wondering about the cheese thing... new
      #273323 - 07/10/06 10:51 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I was wondering how it would turn out if I sprinkled it on my turkey pattie before I put the slice of soy cheese on it..if it would melt in or absorb into the meat. It is a frozen turkey pattie, so I can't mix it into the pattie... if not, then I will just sprinkle it on my little side of veg baked beans...hehehe

It worked... I sprinkled the Acacia on the turkey pattie (after it was cooked) then covered with soy cheese and top bun, put the whole thing in the micro for like 30-40 sec to heat the bun and melt the cheese... I never notice it was even in there!

--------------------

ONE WEEK! new
      #273841 - 07/13/06 08:52 AM
Shell Marr

So, I've been taking Acacia now for one week..... I was really gassy the first two days and "things" are changing each day...it is kinda cool... I'm going to increase a 1/2 teaspoon today for a week and see how I do....

Thanks again Heather....

--------------------

Re: ONE WEEK! new
      #273877 - 07/13/06 11:58 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Shell! A couple questions because I think I am going to try Acacia again in a couple weeks.

Are you a D, C, or A? And how much did you start taking the first week?

Thanks! And I'm glad "things" are changing for you Hopefully for the better?!

#273880 - 07/13/06 12:25 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Hey Shell! A couple questions because I think I am going to try Acacia again in a couple weeks.

Are you a D, C, or A? And how much did you start taking the first week?

Thanks! And I'm glad "things" are changing for you Hopefully for the better?!

HI there!

I'm "A" but I lean more towards the "C" side.....

I was already taking 7.5 grams of Citrucel pills (15 pills) per day....so I just did the math and started with 8 grams (4 teaspoons) of Acacia per day.... I just increased today (one week later) to a total of 9 grams (4-1/2 teaspoons) per day.

IF, you have not been taking any form of SFS then start with just 1/2 teaspoon per day and increase slowly every couple of day or once a week.

There is LOTS of great info here from Heather...I keep reading it over and over again to make sure I'm doing it all right...and I think so far so good, I'm right on track!!

--------------------

#273904 - 07/13/06 03:20 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Shell, what's your total daily intake of fiber (besides the 9g from Acacia)?
Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#273905 - 07/13/06 03:40 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell, what's your total daily intake of fiber (besides the 9g from Acacia)?
Thanks!

Somewhere between 14-18 grams in addition to Acacia depending on what I have for dinner.

--------------------

#273930 - 07/13/06 06:35 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Thanks Shell! I am not currently taking any SFS so I'll start at the 1/2 tsp. Hope you continue to feel better

#273944 - 07/13/06 08:55 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Thanks Shell! I am not currently taking any SFS so I'll start at the 1/2 tsp. Hope you continue to feel better

Your welcome Amanda... and thanks for asking the question....it makes me THINK and I realize, hey....I think I understand what I'm doing!! LOL

--------------------

You can play the penny slots 246 times a day. LOL. new
      #273966 - 07/13/06 11:39 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Is there another Fall Sprawl this year? I am so in if there is.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: You can play the penny slots 246 times a day. LOL. new
      #273986 - 07/14/06 07:04 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Is there another Fall Sprawl this year? I am so in if there is.

No, this year the Diva's (Melissa, Jen, Kandee, & I ) all had WAY too much on our plates this year...so we have decided to put it off until 2007 for the good of everyone!

--------------------

Yay! Keep me posted!!! - nt- new
      #274019 - 07/14/06 10:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#274119 - 07/15/06 03:49 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Somewhere between 14-18 grams in addition to Acacia depending on what I have for dinner.

I found that my C got so much better after I increased my fiber to at least 25g from food (I also get 5g/day from Citrucel). I can't tolerate wheat but I swear by oat bran, it's yummy in yogurt.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

TWO WEEKS! new
      #274974 - 07/20/06 10:14 AM
Shell Marr

So, I've been taking Acacia now for two weeks now..... I'm going to increase a 1/2 teaspoon today for another week and see how I do.... That will bring me up to 10 grams just from Acacia per day.

I was still a little gassy this week, but I'm SURE most of that was cuz of that lovely time of the month.... I usually get gas REALLY bad like 2 days before it starts and until the 2-3rd day of the cycle...so, now I'm in the clear and feel pretty good. BM's are still "changing" and my times of day have changed too....but that is fine with me...cuz at least I'm going and it is not too frequent or urgent either... kinda of a happy medium.... my goodness, could I really be on the road to having NORMAL BM's LOL

Thanks again Heather....

--------------------

Keep me posted Shell! -nt- new
      #274981 - 07/20/06 10:41 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Did I give up on acacia too quickly??? new
      #275043 - 07/20/06 03:24 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm so jealous!! I tried using the minimum acacia dose for four days (1/2 t. twice daily) and my gas got WORSE! So I gave up on it; not that I necessarily feel better today. I had an awful bout of IBS pain this afternoon - the worst pain i've felt in a LONG time... could have been the smoothie i tried to eat for breakfast. will this never end???

did i give up on the acacia too quickly?? i noticed you (shell) said you were gassy for the first few days... would you say that your symptoms got worse before they got better? should i wait a few days and try it again?? i'm so confused! anyone else out there that hasn't been able to tolerate the acacia??

this is so frustrating!!
lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: Did I give up on acacia too quickly??? new
      #275045 - 07/20/06 03:40 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I'm so jealous!! I tried using the minimum acacia dose for four days (1/2 t. twice daily) and my gas got WORSE! So I gave up on it; not that I necessarily feel better today. I had an awful bout of IBS pain this afternoon - the worst pain i've felt in a LONG time... could have been the smoothie i tried to eat for breakfast. will this never end???

did i give up on the acacia too quickly?? i noticed you (shell) said you were gassy for the first few days... would you say that your symptoms got worse before they got better? should i wait a few days and try it again?? i'm so confused! anyone else out there that hasn't been able to tolerate the acacia??

this is so frustrating!!
lisa, IBS-C

Yes, it got worse before it got better.... that was just MY body adjusting.... the gas is less and less each day. Please give it a try again.... give it a few weeks at least... as Heather mentions on the page all about Acacia it can take much longer for it to help those of us with "C" vs "D"....

Quote:

The cardinal rule with Acacia is to start at a low dose (for Acacia, just 1/2 a level measuring teaspoon, twice daily), and increase gradually. Constipation seems to require a much higher daily dose than diarrhea, and it can take several weeks, or even a few months, to slowly work your way up to the maximum daily dose. Acacia is not a laxative, and it will not give "overnight relief", so taking a low dose for a few days will not alleviate your symptoms. What it will do is begin to acclimate your gut to a higher daily dose of fiber, and this is the goal. Don't give up as soon as you start - just realize that using Acacia is a slow, steady process. You will see improvements along the way.

--------------------

I'd try half the dose you were taking... new
      #275053 - 07/20/06 04:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

some people just need to start extra slowly.

- H

--------------------

#275141 - 07/21/06 09:18 AM
Lisa Marie

Thanks, Heather & Shell!! I will give it a shot again. Perhaps I will even start with just 1/8 t. twice daily...

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#275149 - 07/21/06 09:45 AM
Shell Marr

your welcome Lisa.... good luck and keep us posted

--------------------

#275393 - 07/24/06 07:34 AM
Lisa Marie

Alright, I'm giving the acacia another shot. I've been taking 1/8 t. twice daily for two days now, and I have not had any gas from it! Yay! I think I will stay at this dose for a good week, then slowly increase to 1/4 t. twice daily. Sound good? I've been mixing it with my fennel tea before breakfast and dinner.

Thanks for the encouragement, Shell & Heather!

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#275406 - 07/24/06 08:08 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Alright, I'm giving the acacia another shot. I've been taking 1/8 t. twice daily for two days now, and I have not had any gas from it! Yay! I think I will stay at this dose for a good week, then slowly increase to 1/4 t. twice daily. Sound good? I've been mixing it with my fennel tea before breakfast and dinner.

Thanks for the encouragement, Shell & Heather!

--Lisa, IBS-C

That is great!! I'm so glad you are giving it another try. Keep us posted.

--------------------

THREE WEEKS! new
      #275840 - 07/27/06 08:36 AM
Shell Marr

WWooohhoooo.....I've been taking Acacia now for three weeks now..... I'm going to increase a 1/2 teaspoon today for another week and see how I do.... That will bring me up to 11 grams (1 tablespoon + 2-1/2 teaspoons) just from Acacia per day.

I was a tiny bit gassy this week, but not as much as last week and MUCH less then the first week. BM's are STILL "changing"....no urgency and a lot of volume per sitting (*note: I'm IBS-A but more on the IBS-C side).... I'm so excited....one step closer to normal BM's!!

Thanks again Heather....

--------------------

Re: THREE WEEKS! new
      #275849 - 07/27/06 09:27 AM
Lisa Marie

Yay! Way to go Shell! You're giving me hope! Today is my ONE week mark, but I'm only taking 1/4 t. total each day. I think tomorrow I will start increasing to 1/2 t. each day, but over the course of a week or so. So far, no gassiness, but still a little C once in awhile... of course that could also be because I'm not eating very much:)

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

ONE MONTH TODAY!! new
      #276911 - 08/03/06 10:40 AM
Shell Marr

Okay.....I've been taking Acacia now for a month now..... I'm going to increase a 1/2 teaspoon today for another week and see how I do.... That will bring me up to 12 grams (2 tablespoons) just from Acacia per day.

I've really been enjoying the new Tangerine and Wild Berry Herb Tea called " Zingers To Go " by Celestial Seasonings... I've been mixing my Acacia WITH about 4-6oz of the tea two times a day. I just use a mug and a fork, put the Acacia in 1st and then stir while I poor in the tea and mix like crazy (like beating an egg)....let it set for about a 2-3 minutes... stir again and it's down the hatch in no time at all. So easy....

I was a still a little gassy this week, but MUCH less then the first week. BM's are STILL "changing"....more on the formed but still not soft enough side yet.... I'm going to drink more water/tea and see if that along with the added 1/2 teaspoon will help make it just right!! hehehe

Thanks again Heather....

--------------------

Re: ONE MONTH TODAY!! new
      #276925 - 08/03/06 11:19 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

yay go you! I started taking it a while back and didn`t really take much notice but I stopped for a week last week (just because I ran out of it at my boyfriends house and that was where I was staying)and that was the worst week I have had in ages. It must make a difference. With that, hypno and exercise I think I will get there...I better had anyway. Keep it up until those stools are soft (I need mine to go the other way!)

Jo xx

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

Two weeks for me... new
      #276936 - 08/03/06 11:43 AM
Lisa Marie

If Shell's at her one month point, then that means I'm at two weeks. Slow and steady wins the race... I'm not quite up to 1/4 t. twice daily, but should be by tomorrow. Then I will stay there for a full week before increasing again. I can't say I've had a particularly good week, so I am probably not at a high enough dose yet for it to make a difference. I'm a little gassy today, but maybe I stepped up my acacia dose too much today. I've had lots of cramping lately, and also some C. I've been having BMs more like every other day rather than every day, which I don't like one bit. But stress has been HUGE this week. I think it's almost time to order the hyno CDs....

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Yay Shell!!! -nt- new
      #277137 - 08/04/06 11:59 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

FIVE WEEKS!! new
      #277992 - 08/11/06 08:47 AM
Shell Marr

So....I've been taking Acacia now for a 5 weeks (as of Thurs)..... I'm going to stick with the same amount this week... I think it might be the right dose for me. 12 grams (2 tablespoons) just from Acacia per day.

I was a tiny bit gassy but really not much at all this week, and MUCH MUCH less then the first week. BM's changed a little this week too.......at one point I had floaters.....you can read about that here I've Got Floaters?!?!?! (my poop floats) !! ....but that changed and now for lack of a better description...it is more like "toothpaste".... which my primary doctor told me was a goal before he ever sent me to the gastro doc years ago!!

I ordered my second can last night and some more fennel tea bags...I wanted to make sure I had plenty of both before we leave for our 4th Anniversary trip to the coast over Labor Day weekend!!

Thanks again Heather....

--------------------

How's the Acacia going now, Shell? new
      #280371 - 08/30/06 09:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you still happy with it? I'm increasing on the same schedule as you...but I still have bloat and gas. I don't know if I should keep increasing or actually decrease.

when you increased, where you "stable" at the dose you worked up to before increasing? Or were you still experiencing gas and/or bloat?

Oh, I read that floaters means you have gas in the stool. I wouldn't think floaters was a good thing.

Thanks for your opinion.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: How's the Acacia going now, Shell? new
      #280383 - 08/30/06 10:05 AM
Shell Marr

I'm good to go now!! The gas & bloating is very little and not all the time...so it might just be when I have those no-no foods that are not really IBS safe, but I push my luck sometimes if ya know what I mean. Each time I increased "things" where still "changing" then when the gas & bloating did not decrease....I reduced my daily intake...now I'm at a really good place... no troubles and I go at least twice a day if not more but everything is "formed"....I would call myself "stable"..... I currently take 3 teaspoons two times a day.

--------------------

#280388 - 08/30/06 10:32 AM
Jordy

Quote:

Each time I increased "things" where still "changing" then when the gas & bloating did not decrease....I reduced my daily intake

I'm sort of confused. You still were having some side effects while you continued to increase...but then you said you reduced your amount. I'm confused. Sorry. But could you help me understand this?

Thank you! Glad you are "stable"!

--------------------

#280390 - 08/30/06 10:43 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Each time I increased "things" where still "changing" then when the gas & bloating did not decrease....I reduced my daily intake

I'm sort of confused. You still were having some side effects while you continued to increase...but then you said you reduced your amount. I'm confused. Sorry. But could you help me understand this?

Thank you! Glad you are "stable"!

As I increased my BM's were changing....but in a good way....I went from being "C" and only going once every couple of days to going more times a day, but the consistancy was not what I WANTED it to be in the end. But then when I started to SEE what I wanted....I was still having too much gas, which can mean I was taking too much...so I decreased to the previous amount taken before the last increase and have been there ever since and the gas reduced at well.

--------------------

#280517 - 08/31/06 12:10 PM
funmom

Reged: 08/09/06
Loc: California

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself but it seems like I don't get alot of feedback when I post a question/reply. Anyways.........I'm usually IBS-C and then once in a great while I'll "explode" with diahrrea and painful cramps. So I had a bad attack a month ago and then ended up having panic attacks/anxiety and then ordered the ACACIA and have been on that for 3 weeks and for the past 3 weeks I have been really bad. I've had awful pains every day and have had to take bentyl and vicodin daily. And now I have had diahrrea 4 times each morning and am eating almost nothing and have lost 9 pounds. I went to the dr. for the 3rd time yesterday and he gave me levsin as the bentyl wasn't working. I don't want to go back to being constipated again but this is ridiculous!! I'm weak and shaky every day and in constant stomach pain. I've even done Heathers "break- the-cycle" diet - all to no avail. And I am only doing 1/2 teaspoon twice a day of the Acacia. Any suggestions? Oh, I do the peppermint caps/tea, etc. You name it, I've tried it. It's just so frustating that a month ago I was primarily symptom free and now that I've been doing everything I'm supposed to - I'm a wreck!!! I even have Xanax now to take when I need (I hardly do) in case this is all stress related!! And he gave me Tamadol for the pain but I don't like to take things!!

#280521 - 08/31/06 12:19 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Did you start off very slowly at a low dose of the acacia and increase gradually? When I started it, I took 1/4 tsp once a day for a week and then increased by 1/4 tsp. every week until I felt better.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#280531 - 08/31/06 12:36 PM
Lisa Marie

I started even lower. About 5-6 weeks ago, I started with just 1/8 teaspoon twice a day. I'm currently only up to 1 1/4 teaspoon TOTAL per day. I, like you, started at the recommended 1/2 t. twice daily and it gave me horrible gas and cramps. Try starting at the 1/8 t dose, and if you have no symptoms there, give yourself a week to increase up to 1/4 teaspoon twice daily. That's exactly what I did. Rather than increasing my dosage instantaneously, I did it over a week or so, at the rate of 1/8 t. per week.

I've been on the diet two months and I'm certainly not stable yet! Keep with it!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#280537 - 08/31/06 01:06 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

First, be absolutely certain your doctor knows you had a drastic change in symptoms 3 weeks ago. Even with an IBS diagnosis, any sudden change in symptoms should be thoroughly checked out.

Second, if you think the Acacia is making things worse, stop it totally for at least a few days and see if your tummy calms down.

Third, I understand not wanting to take medicines, but you may need to in order to get through this bad patch. Try taking Levsin/Bentyl regularly throughout the day - it should say on the label how often you can take it. I find Donnatol helpful, but it does contain belladonna, which I think is an opiate. You can also try Imodium, although you run the risk of swinging back to C (which might sound wonderful about now, I know).

Fourth, try to eat. I know it's hard when you feel so awful, but if you can get a regular conga line of food moving through your system rather than just throwing stuff in there infrequently, it might help smooth out the process. Even if you just eat a few pretzels or a half cup of applesauce or a piece of French or Italian bread every hour or so, at least they'll be something going on. And getting some food into you should help with being weak and shaky.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#280569 - 08/31/06 07:05 PM
Jordy

Did you increase by 1/8th teaspoon total for a week. Or did you increase each of your two doses by 1/8th tsp...making it a total of 1/4 a week increase?

Does this amount help you go? Or just hasn't made you worse? As you know,I've increased by 1/2 tsp a week and now up to 3 tsp. I really hate to go backwards....but I hurt so badly tonight...I've never had this bad of sharp pains and cramps.

--------------------

#280612 - 09/01/06 09:21 AM
Lisa Marie

I spend an entire week increasing by 1/8 teaspoon TOTAL! Yes, very slowly. But it doesn't give me gas! I'm not increasing right now because I'm trying to add in the Natural Calm, so I don't want to change too many things at once. I don't think I'm yet at a high enough dose to help with C, and my C has been much worse lately because of starting an AD. HOPEFULLY it will help!

Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#281215 - 09/07/06 01:09 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

About the "zingers to go", which flavors have you tried? The Green Tea/Peach flavor has caffeine so I know that's not gonna work. I've been looking for something to drink besides water, herbal tea & cranberry juice. Also, I just ordered Heather's acacia fiber for the first time! I'm excited, hope it works as well for me as it has for you & everyone else who's raved about it!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#281221 - 09/07/06 01:28 PM
Shell Marr

I DID TRY the Peach one and then realized it was not herb....DUH... so, I took it with me to a party and those that could not drink alcohol, added it to bottled water! Now I drink the Tangerine Herb Tea and Wild Berry Herb Tea "Zingers To Go"

--------------------

TEN WEEKS!! new
      #282389 - 09/15/06 09:44 AM
Shell Marr

So....I've been taking Acacia now for a 10 weeks (as of Thurs)..... I'm going to stick with 12 grams (2 tablespoons) just from Acacia per day. (3 teaspoons in the morning....about 30 mins before my breakfast and then 3 teaspoons while making dinner and packing lunches, usually 30-40 mins before dinner)I'm still mixing it with either Tangerine and Wild Berry Herb Tea called " Zingers To Go " by Celestial Seasonings...

It is working WONDERS!! It is so nice to have a "formed" BM in about 3 minutes start to finish and really be finished if ya know what I mean. I have a large quantity at least once if not twice a day... it is WONDERFUL.

I love you Heather!!

--------------------

Yay Shell!!! new
      #282401 - 09/15/06 10:15 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Good for you!

I'm just wondering something out of curiosity. What is the optimal consistency of a BM for you?

Seems like most people here want a sort of soft but formed and big BM.

(See, normally this would be a very awkward conversation, but not here luckily... )

For me it is very different. I want my BM to be hard and dry basically because I have a damaged sphincter from a paralysis disease I had when I was a kid. So my bowels need to be slow for me to feel confident. Which of course leaves less room for variation... Sphincter dysfunction and IBS-D. What a lucky combination, right?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Yay Shell!!! new
      #282404 - 09/15/06 10:25 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Good for you!

I'm just wondering something out of curiosity. What is the optimal consistency of a BM for you?

Seems like most people here want a sort of soft but formed and big BM.

(See, normally this would be a very awkward conversation, but not here luckily... )

For me it is very different. I want my BM to be hard and dry basically because I have a damaged sphincter from a paralysis disease I had when I was a kid. So my bowels need to be slow for me to feel confident. Which of course leaves less room for variation... Sphincter dysfunction and IBS-D. What a lucky combination, right?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Like "toothpaste" coming out of a tube.....that is the best way to explain it... (no effort needed to hold it in or to get it out...)....smooth flow

--------------------

Thank you so much, Shell. You are a darling. -nt- new
      #282427 - 09/15/06 01:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1732 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 46186

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review