All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
a huge THANK YOU to Heather
      #268481 - 06/09/06 08:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I just got back from a 5 week backpacking around Europe trip. Up until about 6 months ago I never would have thought this was possible while dealing with IBS. I have to say, I was even surprised at how succesful a trip this was. Get this, not ONE attack ever on this trip! I was stable before leaving, by taking Acacia, following the diet strictly, and using Imodium when necessary. I continued this while on my trip and was completely fine! Even the stress of travelling around to 11 countries in 5 weeks didn't phase me.

So I just wanted to say to Heater thank you soooo much! Without this website, the diet, the message boards and everyone's advice, I never would have been able to do this.
THANK YOU!!!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That's great Kat new
      #268486 - 06/09/06 09:06 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..good to hear that your tummy behaved on your trip.
Any tales to tell us from it?

--------------------
S.

Re: a huge THANK YOU to Heather new
      #268489 - 06/09/06 09:19 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

That is wonderful!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

This is wonderful!!! new
      #268491 - 06/09/06 09:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Thank you so much for sharing this - I am so happy for you. Here's wishing you many more great vacations in the future!!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#268493 - 06/09/06 09:43 AM
dhaggerty

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Northeast, Bucks County, PA

That is wonderful! So happy to hear, as I'm always afraid even to go into the city on the weekends. I've just started the diet and acacia, so hopefully the results will be the same for me.

Thank you for your story, it gives me hope!

Inspiration new
      #268514 - 06/09/06 12:28 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Kat--I am impressed by your adventurous spirit and elated that you enjoyed your trip and carefully managed your IBS. Many IBS'ers let their IBS hold them back from travel dreams. Any tips/traveller's wisdom? I'm eager to read your adventures.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Inspiration new
      #268521 - 06/09/06 02:18 PM
K2

It was an adventure! I'll be posting pictures soon on my website/blog, which I'll post the link to in my profile.

I did a few things while travelling to stay stable. The first was to tell everyone I can't have red meat or dairy, they're my biggest triggers. Fried and high fat foods weren't common in most places we went to. I just forced myself to stick to the diet as closely as possible, while avoiding my triggers. I'd pick up baguette sandwiches for most lunches, and dinners I chose carefully. I brought my Acacia with me, had about 2 tablespoons per day in my water bottle. I brought a lot of Imodium with me and took it as needed, probably about 1 or 2 every couple days. I also brought peppermint tea bags, since at most hostel/hotels we had access to tea and coffee in the mornings.

I also packed really well. Comfy clothing so that while on the bus, train or plane I didn't have pressure on my stomach. And when I stated, I packed about 20 Luna bars which I ate most days. I can't seem to find a multivitamin that doesn't upset my stomach, so these bars really helped me get some nutrition while travelling. That also helped on the occaison that we went to a meal where there was literally nothing I could eat except for the bread. Europeans love their ham & cheese! Also, as I ate the Luna bars, I had more room for souvernirs.

The only thing I didn't pack which I wish now that I had was the peppermint capsules. I did ok without, but next time I'm bringing them.

I really liked how fast paced the trip was. I didn't have much time to worry about my stomach or stress over what I was eating. I really think I did better on the trip than I do at home, strange eh?

Everyone's invited to check out my blog and later some photos from my trip.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Re: That's great Kat new
      #268523 - 06/09/06 02:33 PM
K2

I think the highlight of my trip was in Austrian, we went paragliding in the mountains there. I'll post a few pics here:

There's so much I did on my trip I can't really say it all here, but I kept a blog about it so have a look:
http://spaces.msn.com/kat613/

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#268526 - 06/09/06 03:11 PM
bubbagirl

Reged: 06/04/06
Loc: Melbourne Fla.

I thought when I did Parasailing it was exhilerating but your pics of Paraglidinglooks awsome!! The only reason I would be chicken is: no water below just ground!!!!! At least I knew I could swim for survival. Don't think scraping me out of a tree or rooftop there would be much left. he he

Re: That's great Kat new
      #268628 - 06/10/06 11:00 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

That looks like a blast Kat! I'm glad you had a great trip. That ski lift in the 3rd pic looks like a bird feeder from that high up. lol

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

Isn't it great to know ... new
      #268630 - 06/10/06 11:17 AM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

that you CAN live a life with IBS. Your trip pics looks like you had a blast!! Glad that you did the trip! I too have been on 2 trips, one just being to Cuba in May.. and having a great time. Your right! your mind is so much on the sites and enjoyment,that you tend to forget (or put it on the back burner of IBS.) about the IBS, you go to great lengths to make sure that you don't have an attack. I too packed tea,snacks from home, immodium (which only took a couple of times, because we left the resort for the day, and who knows where a bathroom is in Havana!) and ate properly. If you prepare right any person can enjoy life and do what they want. I really believe most of it is mind over matter. Bite the bullet and do it!! Again glad to hear that you had a great backpacking trip and hoping you do another one again. My next adventure is a trip with my daughter to Greece! take care Sue

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 898 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1684

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review