All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ACACIA TOLERANCE PROBLEMS
      #266364 - 05/30/06 10:25 AM
whoopiecushion

Reged: 11/17/04
Loc: South Carolina

Is there anyone who cannot tolerate the acacia? I tried it at the minimal dosage (1/2 tsp)and felt terribly ill results from it that I discontinued it. (I measured correctly using correct teaspoon). A year later feeling so desperate from being sick all the time I decided to give it another shot.
Big mistake. I was sick for 2 days from the acacia. It sets my intestines into a worse termoil than they already are. My gut rumbled and spasmed and I was in and out of the bathroom constantly for 2 days from 1 dose of 1/2 a tsp. I know it was the acacia because it brought back the same exact feelings and conditions that I had when I tried it the first time a year ago. Some will probably say to try 1/4 tsp instead, but there is no way I can bare to put something in me that will make me worse, even if you say it will be worse before it gets better. I can't handle that. Am I the only one?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Some folks cannot tolerate soluble fiber supplements at all... new
      #266373 - 05/30/06 10:33 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and there's a chance you may also be allergic to gums in general (acacia is gum arabic). If that's the case watch out for things like carob bean gum and guar gum as well.

If you can't do a supplement, make sure you're getting plenty of soluble fiber from foods.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Some folks cannot tolerate soluble fiber supplements at all... new
      #267302 - 06/02/06 04:08 PM
Strixowl

Reged: 05/26/06

Just went through this. Dr. put me on Citrucel & along with IBS diet was starting to get pretty stable. Being a bit of an organic freek, I decided I wanted to use the acacia. 7days excruciating days later I'm back with Citrucel.

Just double check your dosages from the switch... new
      #267310 - 06/02/06 04:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

sometimes people go from 1 T of one supplement to 1 T of another, but that can mean a huge increase. The Acacia is much more concentrated than Citrucel, for example, so you can inadvertently double or even triple your dose in grams without realizing it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: ACACIA TOLERANCE PROBLEMS new
      #268260 - 06/08/06 07:17 AM
kittykat

Reged: 06/07/05
Loc: Alberta, Canada

just saw your post and yes I have problems w/ the acacia even @ a lower dose. (And now what do I do with the almost entire package of it?) I got major headaches from it for one thing.

Re: ACACIA TOLERANCE PROBLEMS *DELETED* new
      #271294 - 06/27/06 07:48 PM
Joan7

Reged: 06/27/06

Post deleted by Heather

Just to clarify, Benefiber is more expensive than Acacia.. new
      #271397 - 06/28/06 10:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

and it's less concentrated (4 grams of fiber per tablespoon vs. 6 grams of fiber per tablespoon for Acacia).

To be accurate, you have to calculate the cost gram per gram. Benefiber is probably the most expensive fiber on the market in terms of cost per gram. Acacia is much less expensive, even if you have to factor in shipping. And it's organic - Benefiber is not.

If you find a fiber supplement that you like, definitely stick with it, no matter what it is.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2084

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review