All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How can someone be fine for years and then get IBS
      #2662 - 03/13/03 04:56 AM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I am 32 years old. I have been basically fine for 30 years of my life- I did have spastic bowel as they called it, but nothing like the extent of what happened when I turned 30. Now for 2 years I have been IBS-D. Thank god for Heathers diet, as it has really helped. But again, how can something like IBS become such a major change to my life???????

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can someone be fine for years and then get IBS new
      #2731 - 03/13/03 12:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Honestly, they really have no idea why IBS sometimes strikes so severely out of the blue. There is good evidence that some people develop IBS after an insult to the gut - there's info about this at web page

I also think that IBS can onset after severe stress in a person's life, with the stress itself affecting the gut as an "insult."

Other folks just seem to be struck out of nowhere one day, and have IBS forever after (I'm in that category). Some researchers suspect people are born with a pre-disposition to the underlying pathology of a dysfunctional brain-gut interaction. This interaction and the role of neurotransmitters is probably where the most intense IBS research is being conducted right now. Hopefully we'll get some more answers in this area pretty soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2733 - 03/13/03 12:08 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I first got IBS when I was 16...I attribute the first flareup to a jerky boyfriend who drove me insane with his behavior.

It left me once I got married, then came back when I got pregnant the first time. I find that majorly stressful events bring it back. But its been gone for 1 1/2 yrs ever since I adopted Heather's book's diet!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

#2765 - 03/13/03 04:28 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

Thanks Heather!!!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review