All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint pills side effect
      #264328 - 05/19/06 09:25 AM
hopeful

Reged: 05/19/06

I have taken 2 capsules since last night and have experienced heartburn each time. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it something that will gradually decrease with time?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Make sure that... new
      #264354 - 05/19/06 11:19 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you follow the directions for these - they're finicky. The caps should be tolerable if you use them on an empty stomach about an hour before a meal. You don't want to delay the passage of the caps out of the stomach since they are meant to dissolve in the intestine. Alternately, some people do best taking them right before a meal (but still on an empty stomach). Don't take them on a full stomach.

I'd also make sure you take the caps with just enough cool liquid to swallow them. The enteric coating is impervious to stomach acid but it is water soluble. I also think from personal experience that they can dissolve quite quickly in hot water (like if I take them with a big cup of hot tea). So just have with a few swallows of cool water, then wait a bit before eating.

Hope this helps,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Make sure that... new
      #264470 - 05/20/06 05:59 AM
hopeful

Thanks, I'll give it another try. I took the first one before going to bed and the second one when I woke up. About an hour later I had a cup of acacia in water. I ate breakfast shortly after that. Today I will take one right before lunch. I'll let you know if that works.

#264703 - 05/21/06 05:18 PM
hopeful

i tried taking my pill with only 2 or 3 sips of water and haven't experienced heartburn in the last two days. now my only concern is the occasional burp. it's like taking cod liver oil, the peppermint taste comes back up several hours later.

#264970 - 05/23/06 08:33 AM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

So, I just started taking them last week. First 2 days I took one 30 minutes before lunch. I was fine. 3rd day, I took one 30 minutes before lunch and about 6:00 that night, I was burping up an awful taste from the capsule, disgusting flavor. Why did I get that reaction, when it should have moved on by that time of day. I have only taken one a day so far, but I haven't taken any since then.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

#265968 - 05/27/06 06:15 PM
hopeful

marjo, i went back to taking them but with much less water than before and i'm not having any more probs with them. try with just barely one sip of water and see if that works for you. be patient and give it a chance for a few weeks, it may be worth the wait. good luck!

Re: Peppermint pills side effect new
      #266005 - 05/28/06 04:50 AM
mtmtmt

Reged: 04/09/06

My reaction to the pills varied. My IBS-C is mostly under control now - it is interesting that in the throws of full blown IBS-C I had no problems with the pills but as my IBS-C got under control, I had more and more problems with GERD. I don't take them now because of that. The body knows what it needs!

#271432 - 06/28/06 02:28 PM
bjeans

Reged: 06/22/06

If you're having any trouble with them, like Heather said, you might want to give yourself more time before you eat - an hour or so before eating rather than just before.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 215 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1716

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review