All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
proteins&starches
      #25833 - 11/06/03 12:16 PM
melissab

Reged: 11/03/03

i saw this naturalist that said my IBS was caused by the way i ate. this i agree with, but he said that you can't mix proteins and starches. that the digestive enxymes that digest each of these foods will neutralize each other and cause partial digestion. the partially digested food will then ferment in the intestines and colon. you can only eat proteins and vegetables. or starches and vegetables. and all fruits seperately. this blew my mind, has anyone else heard of this? will seperating these foods(which is against this whole "IBS diet") help? thoughts/coments please.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: proteins&starches new
      #25856 - 11/06/03 04:46 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

That is the first I've ever heard anything like that. It doesn't sound right to me, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully, Heather or someone else will have some actual facts for you.

This is nonsense. new
      #25860 - 11/06/03 05:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There is no support for this theory whatsoever, and in fact your stomach contains all the enzymes it needs to digest fat, proteins, and starches whether you eat them separately or together. Ask your naturalist to point you to clinical research studies to support his theory.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25875 - 11/06/03 06:31 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Foods don't cause IBS, they are only one of many triggers and for various reasons to an underlying condition.

"However, it is important to separate factors that worsen IBS (e.g., foods as above, stress, hormonal changes, etc.) from the cause or pathophysiology of IBS. Just like stress doesn't cause IBS, (though it can make it worse), foods must be understood as aggravating rather than etiological in nature."

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibs_foods_2.htm

American Academy of Family Physicians.

" If a patient believes a particular dietary substance is exacerbating the symptoms, then a trial of eliminating that substance is warranted. However, in general, there is no association between IBS and food intolerance."

Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20021115/1867.html

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#25886 - 11/06/03 09:02 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

My Dad was on this diet for awhile, It doesn't make since to me. Heathers soluble fiber way of eating does.
I feel better on soluble diet it helps control the D.
Eating fruits alone would just make the D worse and I don't want back on that rollercoaster!
Paintlady

Edited by paintlady (11/06/03 09:07 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 736 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 594

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review