All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What about taking Peppermint Capsules when having Reflux problems?
      #257959 - 04/12/06 09:54 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

I have been told to stay away from peppermint if I am having reflux. Peppermint tea doesn't seem to bother me, so would the capsules cause me problems?

Does anybody know? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What about taking Peppermint Capsules when having Reflux problems? new
      #257972 - 04/13/06 05:05 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

From all of my reading and taking peppermint myself, yes it can cause or irritate reflux. I think you would have to try it to know personally. I find you have to have something to eat with it or it causes me to have an attack and peppermint reflux .

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

I don't know how to predict this as it varies so much from person to person... new
      #258055 - 04/13/06 01:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

for a lot of people with reflux, peppermint is just intolerable. But, some people can do peppermint tea, some can do the peppermint oil caps, some can do both. And I've heard from the occasional person who says that peppermint helps their reflux, which is really strange. So, aside from trial and error, I don't know how to give a black and white answer to this. Wish I did, because it comes up a lot, and it's so frustrating to have to tell people "maybe".

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: What about taking Peppermint Capsules when having Reflux problems? new
      #258105 - 04/13/06 04:43 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I don't have a problem with reflux or GERD, but everytime I take the peppermint caps, I keep burping peppermint, even hours laters.

That's hard to say new
      #258108 - 04/13/06 05:35 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I have been told to stay away from peppermint if I am having reflux. Peppermint tea doesn't seem to bother me, so would the capsules cause me problems?

Does anybody know? Thanks!

When I was first diagnosed with IBS I started drinking STRONG peppermint tea, daily. It helped, just like Heather said it would. I did that for almost a year and a half. I'd never had reflux before in my life but over time started to develop it, I assume from all the peppermint. I added the peppermint caps, which was disastrous for me. I then had full blown reflux. I gave up the tea and the caps and now use strong fennel tea (Heather's) when I need it. The reflux went away, completely, yet I can still take a handful of peppermint Altoids now and then with no problem. Altoids had acacia in them and I would guess that it acts as kind of a buffer for the peppermint oil, but I don't know for sure.

You'll have to come to your own conclusion on this, based on your reaction to the caps. It's all very individual.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 726 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review