All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Following the IBS eating plan (my story)
      #2579 - 03/12/03 08:58 AM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I just found this board...great to be here!
I've had IBS since I was 16 years old...I think a really horrid relationship with a jerky boyfriend triggered it. Over the course of my life, the IBS would come and go...I'd have it for a few years, then a period of calm. Almost like it went into remission, then somethign stressful (like pregnancy) would bring it back.

Two years ago I was in the mall and had a REALLY bad attack. It was so bad I decided right then, once and for all, that I'd find out how to stop it. Once the attack was over (after which I'd occupied the mall bathroom for 2 hours, throwing up, diaahreaing, etc), I went into the B Dalton bookstore and asked if they had any books on IBS.

I found ONE: Eating for IBS. I bought the book, went out into the mall and began reading it. I learned that what was probably causing my asttacks was high fat food. I had noticed that the attacks usually vcame after French fries, etc.

I resolved from that moment to do what the book recommended, I cut out high fat food immediately, I also began exercising, drinking only water, no sodas, eating smaller portions to ease the strain on my digestive tract, and eventually began living much healthier overall.

Two years later and 100 lbs lighter, I have not had even one IBS attack since!

Heather, I owe you one!! ((((HUGS))))

Anita the Zaftig 1

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Following the IBS eating plan (my story) new
      #2580 - 03/12/03 09:06 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

What a great story!!! I found Heather's book by accident at the Library and what an eye opener!!! I changed my eating habits and slowly my family has been adjusting to a new diet; however, my husband is adjusting more slowly than my children. Men will be men!!!
Barb

#2581 - 03/12/03 10:20 AM
Zaftig1

Thanks Barbara! You know what sometimes annoys me though? I lost 100 lbs as a side effect of following the IBS eating plan, yet the only thing people say to me is, "Oh! You lost so much weight, you look better!" I wasn't trying to lose weight, I sort of would rather them compliment me on having the willpower to stick to the IBS eating plan. I try to explain to them that I feel better because I'm exercising and eating healthier for my IBS, the weight loss had no bearing on how I feel at all (I was happy and comfortable being a big woman.) Oh well! People only go by what they can see on the outside I guess.

--------------------

Edited by Zaftig1 (03/12/03 10:21 AM)

Re: Congratulations! and welcome to the board! new
      #2585 - 03/12/03 11:00 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

What a wonderful story - I am so happy that you are feeling so much better. Zero attacks in two years - that is just fabulous! I hope you're really proud for taking such control of your life, which can be so difficult, and making so many changes for your health. You are really inspiring!

Hugs to you too!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2708 - 03/13/03 10:32 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Anita,
I had the opposite problem - I needed to gain weight. Talk about apperances - my family gave me a hard time for being too thin, which didn't help me feel any better. Even after a diagnose my family still didn't leave me alone about my weight. Unlike you I gained weight on Heather's diet, because after figuring out which foods triggered an IBS attack I am able to enjoy eating foods that taste good and I enjoy eating now.
My friends say I look better and I feel better. However, my family still hasn't said a word to me about my weight gain. My doctor like to see me gain another 10lbs before he feels I'm at a healthy weight.
Barbara

#2734 - 03/13/03 12:11 PM
Zaftig1

I feel your pain---truly! One reason why I liked being a big woman is because as a kid I was viciously teased for being too thin! They used to call me skeleton legs, bag of bones, etc. I did look pretty bad as a kid and teenager. I tried gaining weight, but it didnt kick in till I hit my early 20s. Then it didnt stop (lol!) I was on a roll, baby! (lol)

My all time high weight was about 305, I think....on Heather's IBS eating plan/exercise/etc I lost 100 lbs as a side effect of treating the IBS.

--------------------

Re: Congratulations! and welcome to the board! new
      #2757 - 03/13/03 02:51 PM
Zaftig1

Thanks Heather! Glad to "meet" you too!
And yes I do feel proud of myself for sticking to the regimen. Its really not hard because I grew up on a low fat diet due to my mother being on diets all the time. For me it was simply a matter of going back to how I ate as a kid. And the exercise I am proud of too...an hour a day five days a week does me good (it used to be more but my dr made me cut down to 5 days.)

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1967 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3383

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review