All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fennel Tea
      #25638 - 11/05/03 11:14 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I have a question regarding brewing fennel tea. It doesn't seem to matter how much fennel I use, it always comes out tasting the same (not stronger, which is what I'm aiming for). My tea ball is stuffed full of fennel seeds and I brew it in a 16 oz. tea pot. Does it ever get stronger or darker in colour?

Heather, if you read this, I received your newsletter twice (not that I'm complaining - good advice and recipes are welcomed more than once!) I think you wanted feedback on your newsletters though...Hope this helps

--------------------
Lorna

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fennel Tea new
      #25642 - 11/05/03 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Lorna - make sure your tea ball isn't overstuffed - there needs to be room in there for the seeds to expand, and for the water to circulate. Also, try lightly crushing the seeds before you brew them. A mortar and pestle works well for this, or you can just put the seeds in a heavy plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or even the flat side of a heavy knife. Or, you could whirl BRIEFLY in a spice grinder, coffee grinder, or blender. Anyway you do it, crushing the seeds to any degree will release the volatile oils. Finally, make sure the water is boiling hot when you pour it - the heat will release the oils too.

Thank you for the note about the newsletter - I really appreciate this. I'm truly at my wit's end with this whole problem. Do you have a hotmail address? Or more than one email address you could be registered under?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fennel Tea new
      #25646 - 11/05/03 11:28 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for the info. about the fennel. I'll try not to overstuff the ball I haven't tried crushing them - I'll do that too.

As for the newsletter, I don't have a hotmail account or two e-mail addresses, just one so I'm not sure why I got it twice. I figure it's because you guys like me so much you just had to send it to me twice

--------------------
Lorna

Thank you!! Too funny! -nt- new
      #25647 - 11/05/03 11:33 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 586

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review