All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Starving!
      #25529 - 11/04/03 05:32 PM
katgirl

Reged: 10/31/03

Im currently tryng to break the cycle of IBS attacks, so am trying to stick to things like white bread, noodles, potatoes etc. Only prob is i am starving all the time and am eating HUGE quantities. I have been so used to eating lots of protein especially meat and fish which fill you up and also whole grains/wholemeal bread etc which is certainly more filling than white. has anyone else experienced these hunger pangs?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starving! new
      #25533 - 11/04/03 06:26 PM
jules05

Reged: 11/03/03
Loc: ON, Canada

Hey Kat,
Actually the hungerness (if thats a word lol) is the reason why I was looking for more protein ideas earlier. I find that i'm having to eat every couple hours and even after large amounts of food i still get hungry soon after. Mor protein in my diet will hopefully get me lasting longer on what i eat. Sorry i don't have any advice for you as i'm kind of in the same sort of situation. Hope you feel better soon!

#25537 - 11/04/03 06:39 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Once you break the cycle you will beable to eat more filling food. Try eating a bowl of applesauce. Make sure you are getting enough water durning the day too. Water can fill you up.
I also found I ate more food in the beginning, because I didn't get sick as much after eating. When your tummy is feeling good and the hunger pains hit the natural thing to do is eat.
Good luck on breaking the cycle and hopefully you can more food soon.

#25545 - 11/04/03 09:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - try adding some skinless chicken breasts or white fish for protein. Tuna is a good bet, as are egg whites. Add soy slowly and see how you do with that as well.

Remember, breaking the cycle is just for a few days, until you stabilize. Then you need to gradually expand your diet so you're carefully incorporating insoluble fiber foods and small amounts of heart-healthy fats as well. This will help keep you full longer. Try baking things like the zucchini or pumpkin breads to get started.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25550 - 11/04/03 11:43 PM
katgirl

Baking things is impossible - since Im at Uni i have a choice of eating the meals they provide, which is usually some kind of meat in some stew/sauce (very difficult to tell what is in it and often upsets my stomach) or i have to resort to making myself sandwiches or occasionally microvae some rice - at home i would be eating loads more protein but its virtually impossible to get plain skinless chikcne breasts or fish here (dont think they even know the meaning of the word fish!) i have been trying to break the cycle for the last few days, but i always end up over-eating or eating too much of the wrong foods. I really am stuck in a rut!

#25552 - 11/04/03 11:50 PM
katgirl

applesauce as in the stuff you usually eat for christmas dinners with pork?! because that's the only applesauce i know over here in england and i certainly couldnt sit down and eat a bowl of it!

#25569 - 11/05/03 07:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If you have a small fridge in your room you can but chicken already cooked and ready to eat, I always keep a bad in my fridge at home! I buy it at a regular grocery store here in the US called Krogers, not sure whats available where you are though! You can also buy chicken in cans, like tuna!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#25590 - 11/05/03 09:48 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Applesauce in America is cooked apples and than puree (almost like babyfood). I buy the stuff without sugar added to it.
Check the IBS recipe list - there should be a homemade recipe for applesauce.
Good luck!

#25603 - 11/05/03 10:14 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Why don't you try nuts and peanut butter? Some people are sensetive to this, personally I eat peanut butter everyday and am fine with it. Do you have a microwave in your room? If so you can buy frozen things that just need to be reheated, like soy burgers or meat. You could try lentil soup.

--------------------
IBS-C

#25648 - 11/05/03 11:33 AM
katgirl

Yeah i do have a really small fridge in my room, but it isnt the greatest for storing meat or anything perishable. I tried putting some ham and turkey in the main fridge the other week and some b*gger stole it all - so thats the last time i'll be doing that tho! am going for a shop tomorrow and will buy some ready cooked chicken breasts and some fish - mackerels safe isnt it? also if i get some rice or pasta i can stick that in the microwave and hey presto i have a meal! about the peanut butter - its what ive basically been living on for the last couple of weeks, but im trying to vary my diet a little and see if it helps my symptoms. cereal and peanut butter sandwiches do not make for a good diet for a fortnight continuously!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review